Dash board Question

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

rr724ever

Dash board Question

Post by rr724ever » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:08 pm

How hard would it be to convert a car with one of those horizontal gauge packages to a "rally" dash? (with and without a tach)

I assume one of the hardest parts would be finding the actual rally dash...

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Post by road chicken » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:05 pm

Not that difficult. The biggest hassle is the wiring hook-ups. The standard package uses a printed circuit and all the wires attach thru one connector- the amp guage being the lone exception
. The rallye dash has all individual connectors for the guages, lights, ect. The BEST thing to do would be to get a harness out of a rallye dash car so you have all the little connectors to splice in. Or you can swap the whole harness.
The color codes are all the same- it's just the connections that are different. Figure on a day or two if your familiar with wiring.
4th generation B bodys- there is no substitute.
68 383, Street Demon 750, RPM top end,484/284/108 poo poo cam "-5 spd 4:10 SG, 4whl disk, Helwig Anti-Sway, Poly bushings,Firm Feel Box, HD Linkage, 1" t-bars, 7 leafs Springs

jeff tatem

Post by jeff tatem » Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:09 pm

i did just that in my 73'charger .....the hard part for me was finding the part of the wiring harness to splice in ......it took me about six months for me to find someone that was parting out another "b"body to get one .....but my luck changed and a friend of mine was parting out a 74'charger rallye ....so i finnally got it .....once the wiring was in hand it took me about an hour and a half to install it .Ijust went down to radio shack and bought one of their 14 pin connectors and matched the colors on the wires up .One piece of advice though you will need to slice away enough of the factory wrapping to get the wiper switch wiring to go to the other side of the dash (not too hard)and you will also need the correct wiper switch for whatever wiper setup you have (mine had the three speed)and it took a long time to find one of those too as the switch is shorter than the non rallye cluster .......and oh yeah ....look out for the wiring on the back of the IVR(instrument voltage regulator).....the wires are the same color .....but one has a white tracer on it that will rubb off the first time you touch it ....one goes to the hot side of the IVR and the other goes to the instrument cluster ground (also connects to the IVR)........if your going to do it i hope i have helped ya .........good luck :wink:

Iceman01

Post by Iceman01 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:59 am

Speaking of rally dashes vs. horizontal ones, could someone please tell me which I've got in my '71 SSP? Because of the standard steering wheel, I figured this was a standard dash. But the talk of round gauges now has me wondering...

http://web.acsalaska.net/~iceman/

71383bee

Post by 71383bee » Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:15 am

iceman,

You have a rallye dash. The standard dash feature one long horizontal speedometer with only in idiot light for oil pressure and a very rudimentary temperature gauge and Ammeter. I believe the Sebring plus's came standard with the rallye dash. Kind of like the charger SE...

JosephGiannini
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 roadrunner 340 4 barrel with 727

Hey Guys

Post by JosephGiannini » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:29 am

For the SSP yes you have the type 1 rallye dash if you dont have the tachometer built into it .
For the first gentleman you can actually send your dash away i think to redline.com and they will remanufactur your dash with new facing and all
for 200 dollars complete wiht plug and all for tachometer if you want with out converting the entire dash. I coudl be wrong about the website however. Email me and i wil lget back toyou on that one.
I own a 340 850hp Dick landy industries spec engine god rest his soul.
A Mopar god Is dead.
1972 roadrunner.

JosephGiannini
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 roadrunner 340 4 barrel with 727

Repsonse on the tachometer gauge cluster

Post by JosephGiannini » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:31 am

this is the site and the price is 150$ without shipping
www.redlinegaugeworks.com
I own a 340 850hp Dick landy industries spec engine god rest his soul.
A Mopar god Is dead.
1972 roadrunner.