Who makes a good disc setup

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

71RRLOVER

Who makes a good disc setup

Post by 71RRLOVER » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:04 pm

Have a 71 sattelite I would like to put disc brakes on (front and rear but probably just front for now), anyone have any suggestions?
I would like a set that would also be easy to obtain parts for should pads/rotors/calipers ever were out.

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Post by road chicken » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:56 pm

How about stock parts?

The 71-72 spindles are the expensive small diamenter units. Well the spindles are cheap the diskes are $$$
Use a 73-up challenger, cuda, or dart spindles- with the caliper brackets. The calipers are the same as 71's-76 -the disks are @ $30 for replacements. For comparison the small spindle disks for 71-2 are @ $130. You will NEED to change your master. If you can obtain a Proportioning valve froma similar bodied car- that would be great for the Disk Drum set up

NOw if you go to 4whl disk like I did- then you may want to upgrade in the master dept,( I use full manual brakes) I used a modified vette master that was built for 4 whl dsk. with a split tee,( the one you should have to split the lines currently in your 4 whl drum car, and a propotioning valve from the after market. This set up ,( Split Tee and after market Prop valve) will work for your Disk Drum system.
4th generation B bodys- there is no substitute.
68 383, Street Demon 750, RPM top end,484/284/108 poo poo cam "-5 spd 4:10 SG, 4whl disk, Helwig Anti-Sway, Poly bushings,Firm Feel Box, HD Linkage, 1" t-bars, 7 leafs Springs

JosephGiannini
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 roadrunner 340 4 barrel with 727

Hi there

Post by JosephGiannini » Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:05 pm

I would agree stock is the way to go. utilizing the existing brake booster's second setting. However how fast do you plan to go? I have found even at 160-170 mph in B-bodies the standard brake system is more then sufficient given proper braking distance.
I own a 340 850hp Dick landy industries spec engine god rest his soul.
A Mopar god Is dead.
1972 roadrunner.