Windows

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

Serious Satellite
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1973 Plymouth Roadrunner (R.I.P.) totalled by my younger brother
1974 Plymouth Satellite Coupe (R.I.P.) sold to my other brother, died an ignoble death
1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring (Rusted In Place) sent to crusher
1984 Dodge Ram Prospector D250, 360 ci engine, hooker headers, edelbrock 4 barrel carb, 1991 grill replacement

Windows

Post by Serious Satellite » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:09 pm

Okay, most of the vinyl top has been removed from the project and I'm gettin' ready to remove the front and rear windows. Any advice for a novice BEFORE I get in over my head? :)

And, can you have these windows reconditioned?

72GY9Runner
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 72 Plymouth Road Runner GY9,Ember Gold interior, 400 Auto with AC, strobe stripe and canopy vinyl.

Post by 72GY9Runner » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:01 pm

I remove my glass from inside the car.
Buy a really good quality razor knife, and run the blade into the glue across the top and both sides.

Make sure you don't hit the glass with the blade, as you can cause a crack with even a small nick.

Once you have cut through all the glue on those 3 sides, carefully push out on the top of the glass just enough that you can start cutting the bottom. The more of the glue that's cut, the easier it will start to move.

That's about it.

If your old glass isn't too pitted or scratched, then just polish it up with a piece of bull dog fine steel wool. It really shines up the glass, and wont leave scratches. If the front glass has pits or chips, just replace it. I put a new windshield in mine for just over 200.

Good Luck.
Dave Lutz
57 Plymouth Plaza Sedan, 58 Dodge Regent 2Dr Hardtop, 65 Valiant (273 Commando -Canadian built), 67 Satellite, 67 Polara, 70 Cuda, 72 Runner, 78 Dodge Diplomat 2Dr

Serious Satellite
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1973 Plymouth Roadrunner (R.I.P.) totalled by my younger brother
1974 Plymouth Satellite Coupe (R.I.P.) sold to my other brother, died an ignoble death
1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring (Rusted In Place) sent to crusher
1984 Dodge Ram Prospector D250, 360 ci engine, hooker headers, edelbrock 4 barrel carb, 1991 grill replacement

Post by Serious Satellite » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:59 pm

Thanks. . .. the glass is in very good shape, just wanted to buff it out before I put it back in. . .

rear pillar is rusted through where the vinyl top used to be, will have to clean that up as well. . .it's the only rust spot on the roof. . .had to ditch the full vinyl . . .

fourforty6pac
GTX (RS)

Post by fourforty6pac » Tue May 01, 2007 12:50 am

Wire works great. You need a strong thin wire, like the thinest gituar (totally mispelled) string. Mopar used a butyl tape that is easy to cut through. Push the wire between the glass and the oinck weld. Wrap the wire around a couple of sticks and proceed slowly with a sawing motion. The windshield is fragil because it is laminated. The rear lite (backglass) is a little stronger because it is tempered. There is a tool for removing glass but it will most likely break the windshield unless you either get lucky or have alot of practice. There is also pnumatic tool that works better as long as you keep away from the glass. When you replace the glass use the 3/8's round butyl tape the square tape sometimes does not squish down enough and you could have trouble getting the trim back on cus the glass might stick out farther then it did before. Then seal around the top of the glass and about 6 inches down the sides. Good luck!

rr6pak
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Tor-Red RR

windows

Post by rr6pak » Tue May 01, 2007 5:14 am

Yeah, the wire works great. Check out the web site below. They have a spray that releases the "tar" from both the front and back windows and it comes in a can. They have MANY parts for sale at very reasonable prices. They also have cosmoline, aluma spray, etc, etc, etc. I bought a lot of stuff from these guys. They also take PayPal. :beer:

http://www.marketworks.com/StoreFrontPr ... sfid=92390

mopar71
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 roadrunner

Post by mopar71 » Tue May 01, 2007 10:51 pm

For some reason the link does not show up! Is there another link?
MOPAR (Move Over Plymouth Approching Rapidly)

fourforty6pac
GTX (RS)

Post by fourforty6pac » Wed May 02, 2007 2:18 am

fourforty6pac wrote:Wire works great. You need a strong thin wire, like the thinest gituar (totally mispelled) string. Mopar used a butyl tape that is easy to cut through. Push the wire between the glass and the oinck weld. Wrap the wire around a couple of sticks and proceed slowly with a sawing motion. The windshield is fragil because it is laminated. The rear lite (backglass) is a little stronger because it is tempered. There is a tool for removing glass but it will most likely break the windshield unless you either get lucky or have alot of practice. There is also pnumatic tool that works better as long as you keep away from the glass. When you replace the glass use the 3/8's round butyl tape the square tape sometimes does not squish down enough and you could have trouble getting the trim back on cus the glass might stick out farther then it did before. Then seal around the top of the glass and about 6 inches down the sides. Good luck!

I just want to add to this make sure you use the proper metal primer on the pinch weld and glass primer on the edge of the glass where the butyl tape will come in contact with. You can buy both of them where ever you get your auto supplies. If not try an auto glass shop.

rr6pak
GTX (RS)

window

Post by rr6pak » Wed May 02, 2007 4:09 am

I dont know if there is anything wrong. I just tried it through the post I put up and it works. If not, I'll find another one

:beer:

rr6pak
GTX (RS)

windows

Post by rr6pak » Wed May 02, 2007 4:14 am

If you cannot access the site I put up, go to ebay. They go by "mopartsdealer". There they have the "store front" then you can go to the other site.

mopar71
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 roadrunner

Post by mopar71 » Fri May 04, 2007 11:04 am

Sorry, it does work!
MOPAR (Move Over Plymouth Approching Rapidly)