roadrunner?

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

altyfam

roadrunner?

Post by altyfam » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:22 pm

I am new to this site , but I have been around MOPARS for more than a few years. 16 years ago I bought what I believed to be a 1972 sattelite.It had fresh plum crazy purple paint, a 1972 rear bumper and front bumper, and a318 ci engine price was right at 1200.oo dollars.Fast forward to present day, I am doing a resto to this vehicle .In doing so, I have removed paint from the cowl area to find the following things: curious yellow original paint and partial vin R1 106823. In sanding both rear quarters I found the same curious yellow paint right before I got down to bare metal.After getting to bare metal I found 4 holes about half the size of a dime on each quarter ,with these dimensions: 45 inches from the lip of the bumper where the bumper sits tothe center of the first hole, 2 inches to center of next hole 5/8 inch tocenter next hole 2 and 3/4 inch to next hole. I guess my question is, what is the likelyhood that this a road runner and not a sattelite? ps.I bought this car with a clear 1972 title with matching dash vin which was obviosly swapped onto car.Car also has four post bracket behind rear seat on drivers side , Iwould appreciate any help on this.

bruce
Site Admin

Post by bruce » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:32 pm

We'd need the complete VIN in order to be able to tell if it's a Road Runner or not. And if the VIN has a 5th digit of "G" for a 318, then it's not a Road Runner. No '72 Runners had 318 as original equipment. Oh, and if that VIN you mentioned starts with "RL" then it's a Satellite.
Bruce Anliker

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:11 pm

That would be very strange if someone cloned a 71 runner into a 72 satellite!! Is the door VIN decal still in place? Have you looked in all the usual places for a broadcast sheet? Does it have 71 or 72 sidemarkers?
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

altyfam

Post by altyfam » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:46 pm

the vin is only partial because Itook it directly off of the cowl r1 106328 ,I realize that because of the missing engine code and lack of first two letters this makes it nearly impossible to decode, but it is all that I have .There was no build sheet because the interior it had was swapped as well when Igot it .Now , does the plate behind the rear seat (4by 4 inches with 4 studs pertruding through to underside make this a dual exaust car at the very least?also the holes in the quarter start at 7 and1/2inches from the lip of the wheel house ,could they have been used for anything else besides factory instalation of the two emblems ,( road runner)? thanks for the fast reply on the last one,Dave

71440 gtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 gtx 71 340 duster
Location: I am here, or is it there? GIF image (animated, 49 frames)

Post by 71440 gtx » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:48 pm

That number on the cowl is not RL it's R for Windsor and 1 for 1971 and then the VIN number. It's the same on the rad cradle too. example on my '71 GTX on the rad cradle it goes R1 142763 and on top of the cowl are the same numbers. That number that he gave does not tell what it is, they are the last 8 didgits of the 13 didgit VIN number. On my '71 Satellite on top of the cowl it goes G1_sSt. Louis car 1971
So unless something is wrong the car is a 1971 not a 1972. If the car was a '72 the first 2 didgits would have been R2. :beer:
71 gtx 440 4speed air grabber blue on blue with white vinyl roofOption cassette player

Plymouth's gonna getcha!
There are 3 things that will live forever, cockroaches, Keith Richards, & slant 6

altyfam

Post by altyfam » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:54 pm

what I guess I did not make clear perhaps , is that it was discovered that this car is indeed a 1971 vehicle with swapped out bumpers ,interior etc the side marker lights are flush not protruding.

bruce
Site Admin

Post by bruce » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:01 pm

Ah, okay, that clears up a bunch.
Bruce Anliker

altyfam

Post by altyfam » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:13 pm

now ,my intention for this car was always to clone it ,not to sell but for my own use ,Idid collect a decent amount of parts over the years, two full quarters from california ,one fairly nice left fender,one nos right fender one nos front valance ,a1971 rear bumper ,a spare rear bumper , also a1971 air grabber hood that I had redone,a spare dash pad that needs to be died black ,but has no visible cracks , also the car has been half tubbed and subframes connected by areputable shop . Ijust found it curious to find these markings when I started my resto, so I figured I would consult the people who spend alot of time and hard work on these machines. thanks again Dave

mopar71
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 roadrunner

Post by mopar71 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:28 pm

Does it have a ralley dash? 8)
MOPAR (Move Over Plymouth Approching Rapidly)

altyfam

Post by altyfam » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:35 pm

yes, it does now I installed it 10 years ago with a dash pad I purchased for about 250.00. the other dash pad is for sale thank you. Dave

mopar71
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 roadrunner

Post by mopar71 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:10 pm

Maybe you can post a pic and see what we think. 8)
MOPAR (Move Over Plymouth Approching Rapidly)

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:43 pm

Not sure about the plate you're describing. Does it have dual exhaust? Look underneath at the frame rails near the rear bumper. Does it have the factory dual exhaust brite tip hangers? Unfortunately I don't have a way to measure the runner emblem mounting holes on my car, and I can't tell you it's a runner or not. What I can tell you is it's build date is between August 26 and 31 1970....
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

altyfam

Post by altyfam » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:45 pm

absolutely, I just need to become a little computer savvy . I also have other parts, 1972 parts I took off same car. thanks m.o.p.a.r, Dave

altyfam

Post by altyfam » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:02 pm

Eric, thank you very much for your input Iappreciate any help in this mystery, if you do not mind me asking , how did you find out the approximate build date? thanks Dave

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:02 pm

I've been running an unofficial registry for these cars for a few years now. By looking at VINs close in number to your car built at the same plant, I can see a range yours would fall into for the scheduled build date.
Some day, we'll get an official registry set up on a website....