Interior options for B5Blue 71RR

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

Molloy

Interior options for B5Blue 71RR

Post by Molloy » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:50 pm

I have a 71 RR, B5 Blue 4spd car. It's picked down to the bone for a resto right now, and I'm considring my interior options. Originally it had a blue interior, but I would much rather have a black, or otherwise dark interior. What exactly were the interior options on these cars? Would it look ovewhelmingly incorrect to have a B5 blue 71RR with a black interior?

Thanks, and nice website,
-Molloy

Dave
Site Admin
My Cars: 71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)
71 Satellite Sebring Plus (383/2bbl/auto)

GB5 + M6X9 is no problem!

Post by Dave » Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:30 am

Hi and welcome to the Nest!

To answer your question, they did build quite a few B5 cars with black interiors. Matter of fact, that is exactly what mine will have (though it will have B5 inserts in the seats). Personally, the look of a double blue car has really grown on me (either B3, B5 or B7 with the blue interior), and I might look for one someday.

Anyway, back to your car, and your question, if you can find all the stuff to do the conversion, and you want the black interior, go for it! I won't look "out of place" at all. :) If I remember correctly, you should be able to find a few pictures of a B5 Hemi Road Runner in the image gallery that is a factory black interior car.

The good news is that all the door panels are now available from Legendary. If you are going to have a dashpad restored by Just Dashes, they can do it in black for you. Of course, new seat covers in black are available from Legendary as well. Everything else should be able to be painted. It's really great to see all this stuff available finally. 2 or 3 years ago, doing a conversion like this would leave you searching for good used pieces.
Dave
Founder - The Road Runner Nest

71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)

Molloy

Post by Molloy » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:30 am

Dave, thanks for the help. Glad to hear black is OK since it will age much better than blue. Also, a B5 car with the blue interior is just a LOT of blue, maybe too much for me. Plus, it REALLY showed it's age on my car. Even a dirty, old black interior can look good as long as it's not torn up.

Dave
Site Admin
My Cars: 71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)

That's true... B5 didn't age very well

Post by Dave » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:58 pm

Molloy,

You are right. The original B5 stuff didn't age very well. I'm guessing the new stuff available today will hold up much better. You are also right that a worn black interor is much more passible than a worn blue one.

Yea, double blue is a lot of blue, but not quite as much as there was of green on my triple green Satellite Sebring I had a while back - and I like blue MUCH better. ;)
Dave
Founder - The Road Runner Nest

71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)

Molloy

Post by Molloy » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:15 pm

I checked the pics on this site. Lots of nice pics and I will definately be going with a black interior (even with the texas summers). Man there are some awesome interior pics -- now I know how my car SHOULD look.

Thanks,
-Molloy

71440 gtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 gtx 71 340 duster
Location: I am here, or is it there? GIF image (animated, 49 frames)

Blue

Post by 71440 gtx » Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:05 pm

Hi Molly,
welcome to the site! :D

I would leave it blue on blue.
It is your car you can do what you want, I prefer the blue on blue like mine.

Mine car is light blue bucket seats with dark blue door panels and a b5blue outside with a white vinel roof :wink: sweet looking car.

71SpecialOrder

Post by 71SpecialOrder » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:09 pm

Do you have any pics of your car 71440 gtx? I am restoring a 71 RR and it was B5 with white vinyl top and white interior. I just want to see now the white top looks.

Thanks,

Jeff

Last edited by 71SpecialOrder on Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Iceman01

Post by Iceman01 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:01 am

Here's my Glacier Blue 71 SSP with a white canopy.

71SpecialOrder

Post by 71SpecialOrder » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:15 pm

Thanks for the pic Iceman01. :D Cool car :wink:

Jeff