Mystery Insulation Panels

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

72Rdrnner
GTX (RS)

Post by 72Rdrnner » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:51 pm

aerodynamic wrote:Grasping at straws man, I'm stumped too. Something like that wouldn't go under the rear bench would it?
I thought about that, as well as rear quarter panels, package tray and just about every other place I could think of. Drew blanks at each place. If they were mirror image panels it might be easier, but they're not so am as stumped as you.

Maybe my wife just put them in my parts box to confuse me! Hoo Hah!

Capsule
GTX (RS)

Post by Capsule » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:08 am

That just looks really nice and clean! I guess you´re at the fun part of restoration, all the details and "less messy" work! (ofcourse I don't know how you handle that spray glue!) :-D

I'm currently restoring my interior with new, used panels and new seat covers. Its quite rewarding work I find, since I can see the result right away! A fresh interior really makes the car I think.

Capsule
'71 Roadrunner Clone - 440 - 727 - Airgrabber - Curious yellow

72Rdrnner
GTX (RS)

Post by 72Rdrnner » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:55 pm

Capsule wrote:That just looks really nice and clean! I guess you´re at the fun part of restoration, all the details and "less messy" work! (ofcourse I don't know how you handle that spray glue!) :-D

I'm currently restoring my interior with new, used panels and new seat covers. Its quite rewarding work I find, since I can see the result right away! A fresh interior really makes the car I think.

Capsule

Carefully, very carefully!

Actually it's not too bad as it cleans up real well with plain 'ol turpentine. I did it as much to regain the sound deadening properties as the old stuff had lost it's volume and was pretty much smashed flat.

Serious Satellite
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1973 Plymouth Roadrunner (R.I.P.) totalled by my younger brother
1974 Plymouth Satellite Coupe (R.I.P.) sold to my other brother, died an ignoble death
1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring (Rusted In Place) sent to crusher
1984 Dodge Ram Prospector D250, 360 ci engine, hooker headers, edelbrock 4 barrel carb, 1991 grill replacement

But what if

Post by Serious Satellite » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:29 am

That's a nice alternative to Year One. Now, what do you do if your cars interior looks like this?

Tearing down the interior I found nothing that looked original. The interior insulation was replaced by plastic garbage bags--can you believe it?--and I'm not sure the interior is correct.

It came from factory with a bench seat, but when you look underneath it has an electrical connection for power seats. I can't find that option for Satellites.

One last question: the build sheets are toast, I have left hand side of the build sheet, the rest has decayed, and the vin numbers identify the interior as a Charger interior. It's a Satelllite Sebring. . .not a Plus.

Was the Charger interior the same one I'm thinking about?

I know, it looks like crap right now, but give me some time. I thought it was worth the original 700 dollar investment. At least I knew what I was getting into and no surprises with this car.

scottish440
GTX (RS)

baggin'

Post by scottish440 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:47 am

The plastic on your door is correct from the factory. It is a
vapor/wind barrier.

Your seat do not sound original....but a 71-74 Charger is a great
place to score interior parts.....everything is the same....

EXCEPT..
Rear upper door panels(the quarter windows change the shape)
sometimes it is hard to pass up a nice set of charger upper door
panels....I have modified a set or two to fit.

Also There are charger specific seat & door panel paterns...(seat
frames are always the same)

take care...scott
====,_ '__..........====,_
....==-,`~._\.............`:`)__,
......`~~=-. \............/^^^
...........`~=. \......../
..............`~. \__./
..............`.=====)
..........___.--~\./~--.__
..___\.--~~~.........~~~---.._|/

Serious Satellite
GTX (RS)
1974 Plymouth Satellite Coupe (R.I.P.) sold to my other brother, died an ignoble death
1984 Dodge Ram Prospector D250, 360 ci engine, hooker headers, edelbrock 4 barrel carb, 1991 grill replacement

thanks

Post by Serious Satellite » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:59 am

Thanks Scottish.

Shouldn't there be something in between the plastic wind breaker and the door panel though? I didn't find one bit of insulation anywhere on the doors. It's rotted away on the floor.

I have scored a real nice set of bone white Satellite Sebring Plus door panels, frfont and rear, correct for the year, from e-bay. I'll post pics as soon as I can find the digital camera. Not installed yet, obviously, as I still have to clean up the interior then use Rust-X and replace two front floor panels.

I'm not doing this as a factory restoration, I'm doing it as a Satellite I would have ordered with the modifications we all made during the day: performance upgrades, new chrome wheels, dual exhaust etc. So the green metallic interior is going by the wayside to be replaced by a bone/parchment white interior. The seats are still out. I like the 74 Satellite cloth and vinyl seats with the red plaid, but I think I'm going to go custom with the plaid color to match the new exterior: copper orange metallic with a gold shimmer ghost coat over that. And of course your parchment white stripe package we've talked about!

72Rdrnner
GTX (RS)

Re: thanks

Post by 72Rdrnner » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:44 pm

Serious Satellite wrote:Thanks Scottish.

Shouldn't there be something in between the plastic wind breaker and the door panel though? I didn't find one bit of insulation anywhere on the doors. It's rotted away on the floor.
There is no insulation in the doors, only the plastic vapor barrier. My best guess is because of the regulator and the chance some insulation might get loose and get jammed in it.

You mentioned wires under the seat. They might have been to the switch in the seat that activates the seat belt warning for the passenger side when it senses somone is in the seat. I don't know if this was present in a bench seat, but I have on in the passenger bucket seat. There is none in the drivers seat.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:41 pm

You mentioned wires under the seat. They might have been to the switch in the seat that activates the seat belt warning for the passenger side when it senses somone is in the seat. I don't know if this was present in a bench seat, but I have on in the passenger bucket seat. There is none in the drivers seat.
I'm pretty sure by 74 this was a federal requirement...I remember dad distonnection this on his brand new 74 AMC Hornet :roll:
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

72RoadRunnerGTX
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner/GTX
1972 Satellite Sebring
1972 Satellite Sebring(big block parts car)

Post by 72RoadRunnerGTX » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:34 am

They fit into the backside of the kick panel trim panels. There were no adhesives involved.

72Rdrnner
GTX (RS)

Post by 72Rdrnner » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:48 am

72RoadRunnerGTX wrote:They fit into the backside of the kick panel trim panels. There were no adhesives involved.
I knew somebody would have the answer. Thanks a lot!

NOTE: To make installation easier I used a piece of double sticky tape between the hardboard on the insulation and the inside of the kick panel to hold it in place as I installed it. Made it a little easier. I also replaced the insulation with the same stuff I used on the firewall pads, which has an aluminized backing on it.

I guess my initial assumption about not being in the kick panel area was wrong. I see now how they compliment the insulation panels that fit into the body cavities.

On a related note regarding insulation. I added some of the aluminized insulation you can get from Lowes or Home Depot on the board between the rear seat and the trunk. Put it on the inside of the existing panel and the seat itself. It's about 1/4 thick and it made a noticable difference in lowering the sound level. Got rid of a lot of the trunk noise.
Last edited by 72Rdrnner on Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Serious Satellite
GTX (RS)

Post by Serious Satellite » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:05 pm

72Rdrnner wrote:
Serious Satellite wrote:Thanks Scottish.

There is no insulation in the doors, only the plastic vapor barrier. My best guess is because of the regulator and the chance some insulation might get loose and get jammed in it.

FYI on insulation behind the door panels:

I found something in the sales brochures for the 74 Satellite Sebrings and Sebring Plus that clearly identifies a sound barrier--I assume it's an insulation--that includes material behind the door panels, which explains the residual glue on the sheet metal.

"Included in this "Super Quiet" sound package are added sound deadeners and silencers on the floor and in the door trim panels."

Plymouth Satellite Sales Brochure, 1974, page 2.

72Rdrnner
GTX (RS)

Post by 72Rdrnner » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:44 am

Serious Satellite wrote: FYI on insulation behind the door panels:
I found something in the sales brochures for the 74 Satellite Sebrings and Sebring Plus that clearly identifies a sound barrier--I assume it's an insulation--that includes material behind the door panels, which explains the residual glue on the sheet metal.
While entirely possible there were sound barriers added to the doors, the vapor barrier plastic sheet is held to the metal door panels, as well as the rear quarter panels with glue. When I took my car apart it was still in place, still glued to the metal. I could have easily reused them, however I chose to replace them with new and somewhat heavier plastic. This too I glued to the metal using 3M90 adhesive.

Serious Satellite
GTX (RS)

Good

Post by Serious Satellite » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:42 am

Good to know. I knew there had to be a vapor barrier and I think I'll go with the upgrade on the 3M stuff as well. It seems a no brainer. . . go with the 33 year old plastic, or get new stuff! I do appreciate this forum, it'll definitely help put that Satellite together having all this experience.