71 RoadRunner grill emblem

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

orangerunner
Satellite Sebring (RH)

71 RoadRunner grill emblem

Post by orangerunner » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:35 am

Has anyone else ordered a reproduction 1971 Road Runner grill emblem from Year One?

The one I received wasn't too bad looking although it doesn't look quite like the original.

The frustrating thing was the fastening screw on the back of the emblem is too short to go straight through the hole in the grill to screw the nut on the end.

Anyone else noticed this?

xray
GTX (RS)

Post by xray » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:20 pm

The ones I see on ebay that go for $24 look like the one I got from year one. They are pretty close but not perfect. I'm gonna hold out for a used one and repaint it. Unless I get lucky and get the 72 grill parts I am searching for.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:54 pm

They've been making them that way for over 10 years now!!!! I remember buying one more than that long ago and the stud was to short then! Also, the repro they sell is metal, not like the originals (plastic). If I were you I'd send it back and find a good used one to repaint...
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

71ROADRUNNER

Post by 71ROADRUNNER » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:33 am

I bought one from them about 10+ years ago as the one that came on the car before I bought it was stolen already by a previous person that was looking at the car before I got it. I had no problems putting it on, but I never had the original to compare it too.

mopar71
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 roadrunner

Post by mopar71 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:40 pm

I will never forget my first grill bird, When I first bought my first roadrunner in 1977 I had no grill bird, someone had already taken it off the car. But I didnt know what went on the grill either. One day when I was making my lunch run( I used to deliver lunches to senior citizens and disabled people who didnt get out much).I met this elderly gentleman that use to work in a salvage yard.He collected liscence plates of all the states.But on his refrigerator he had emblems of all sorts of cars and low and behold I saw a roadrunner bird head.I asked if he woud sell it but he said to take it.And thats how I found my grill bird.
MOPAR (Move Over Plymouth Approching Rapidly)

morty318

grill roadrunner

Post by morty318 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:23 pm

aaaah yes, the little bird, I found it best to get an old plastic original, ebay or swap, match the colors best you can, get a very fine brush, and a steady hand, women seem to be better at it than men, and do it yourself, comes out better than year one, they look like they were painted by a two year old.

morty318

grill roadrunner

Post by morty318 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:24 pm

aaaah yes, the little bird, I found it best to get an old plastic original, ebay or swap, match the colors best you can, get a very fine brush, and a steady hand, women seem to be better at it than men, and do it yourself, comes out better than year one, they look like they were painted by a two year old.

scottish440
GTX (RS)

She's Crafy

Post by scottish440 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:14 pm

if you are crafty.....spot weld on a extension.....er...maybe you could give it some of them Mark Martin pills.