71 fender signals on SSP's?

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

1971SSP
GTX (RS)

71 fender signals on SSP's?

Post by 1971SSP » Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:30 pm

Anyone know how common the fender mounted turn signals are on Satellite Sebring Plus's?? My 71 SSP does NOT have them, it came that way factory. I've seen quite a few SSP's, but never one without the fender signals like mine. Weird.

My car was a late production car in 71 from LA. My grill was from the factory all in gray like 72 have, even though most 71's were black with silver on the lip & insides of the bezels.

My car has many options, AC, PS, PB, trans cooler, rallye gauges & buckets/console....weird it didn't have the light package that seems so common.
Brian
1971 Satellite Sebring Plus

1972RM23
GTX (RS)

Post by 1972RM23 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:02 pm

The fender mounted turn signals were part of the L31 option (light package group ....A08 option group if I remeber right). You got fender or hood (with standard RR hood) mounted turn signal, ign. delay light, glove box light, and trunk light . It was optional equipment and about half of Road Runner production had this option ....SSP's were the highest trim level for the Satellite production line and more than half might have been ordered with this option. My 1972 Road Runner has this option with fender mounted turn signal because I have the N96 Air Grabber option.
Hope this helps.
Steve
1972 Road Runner N96 EV2

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Post by road chicken » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:57 am

But not always with the airgrabber hood. Galen Govier,( alleged guru of the mopar numbers) stated that was so, however I have one that came N96 equipped- but didn't have the fender signals. I have added them- but they're not on the build sheet.
4th generation B bodys- there is no substitute.
68 383, Street Demon 750, RPM top end,484/284/108 poo poo cam "-5 spd 4:10 SG, 4whl disk, Helwig Anti-Sway, Poly bushings,Firm Feel Box, HD Linkage, 1" t-bars, 7 leafs Springs

Dave
Site Admin
My Cars: 71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)
71 Satellite Sebring Plus (383/2bbl/auto)

Gomer (Galen) isn't right nearly as much as he thinks he is.

Post by Dave » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:58 am

Yea, I saw that screwup of Galen's. Just another one to add to my list of his incorrect statements. It's not that I expect him to always know everything off the top of his head about every car made, but I'd expect him to at least take the time while writing an article for a mag to double check his facts!

Anyway, you are correct, they didn't ALWAYS come with N96. You had to order A01 (Light package) to get them. If you ordered A01, and the car was to be equipped with either the standard Satellite hood, or the A/G, they were on the fenders. With the standard Road Runner/GTX hood, they were mounted on the hood.

I really hate having to clean up after Galen. Hehehehe... :lol:
Dave
Founder - The Road Runner Nest

71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Post by road chicken » Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:45 pm

Your not the only one that feels that way. Over on another site- Well- they pretty much tarred and feathered Galen. If it's not Hemi car- be very wary of his info. More General than exact.
68 383, Street Demon 750, RPM top end,484/284/108 poo poo cam "-5 spd 4:10 SG, 4whl disk, Helwig Anti-Sway, Poly bushings,Firm Feel Box, HD Linkage, 1" t-bars, 7 leafs Springs

Dave
Site Admin

Tar and Feathers

Post by Dave » Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:19 am

You don't mean Moparts, do ya? ;) I know there are more than a few over there that don't hold a very high opinion of Galen. Heck, I've added a post or two to a Galen-bashing thread myself. :)

Personally, I think his white books are an awsome resource. I really need to pick up the 72-74 decode book, and the casting book. They are great information, and I highly recommend them to anyone serious about this hobby from a numbers perspective.

Personally, I don't care for Galen. My opinion of him is that he is an arrogant jerk. I've had personal contact with him on a number of occasions that have lead me to that conclusion, and I'll just leave it at that. :wink:
Dave

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Post by road chicken » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:44 pm

No actually Moparchat. Boy this guy is loved all over. Kinda like the decoy deer during rifle site in week.

I dunno- I can totally see the use for ACCURATE info, but if it's not- then what's it worth. I know MA didn't keep very good records- but then leave it at that- don't start talkin out your butt to save face. Not with this crowd anyway.
Thanks for the heads up on the pesonal issue. If I see him, I'll be sure to walk away. For some reason people like that tend to slip- repeatedly- face first, around me. Dunno why? They just seem to black out- :twisted:

Moparlar
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 drag car, 72 440 6pack roadrunner my kids have a 71 gtx clone
And a roadrunner clone

Post by Moparlar » Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:32 pm

I have had dealings with Galen and have always had good times. Without him I would never have had the chance to buy the 72 6 pack roadrunner I now own. I will admit that sometimes he is hard to get a hold of, and sometimes things take longer than they should. But I now lots of people that have benifited from his info he has gotten for them
Larry

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Post by road chicken » Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:07 pm

Hey Larry,

I haven't met him personally, but most people I've talked to don't share that good opinion. Seems like to the super rare/ hemi car guys, he's gold, to the masses, well not so good. I just wasn't impressed when I saw the artical about the Fender signals and knew that wasn't the case, and the hibrow deal I've heard before from a quite a few sources. I KNOW your not like that at all.
So how is that runner comming along? Last time I saw it, it was dusty as heck sitting in the garage. I drooled for week or so over the NOS stuff you had collected for it. You had more in parts than my car cost. That car is gonna be so sweet when you finish it up!!!!! It couldn't be in better hands!!
Oh and AGAIN!! Thanks for the hot dog and the measurements on the sunroof. You were very cool to do that for a person you didn't know. As fate would have it- I found a 71 Satellite today-with the complete sunroof. Got a killer deal on the complete roof- so that will be getting grafted on in the future.

1972RM23
GTX (RS)

Post by 1972RM23 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:59 pm

I don't understand the Galen bashing. I've read his articles from when he just started out gathering information. He used to write a column for Mopar Muscle Club International (MMCI) monthly newsletter (1981 thru 1988 or so). He's always been willing to share what he knows and has helped the Mopar community greatly. I'm not sure but I doubt GM and Ford collectors know as much about there cars as Mopar people do and that due to people like Galen (and others) who try to amass, collate, decipher and ultimately share all of this knowledge. I have production numbers for 1972 Road Runner for US production and they are in percents of the total production (down to the nearest 10th of a percent). So this never really adds up to an actual 100% correct number. That's just the way Ma Mopar did it. So Galen may not be 100% correct all of the time...it just isn't possible. He's helped the Mopar community far more than hurting it by slow response time or perceived attitude. Just my 2 cents.
Steve
1972 Road Runner N96 EV2

Dave
Site Admin

My position

Post by Dave » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:32 am

Let me clarify my position on Galen. :) First, he has done a lot of good for the hobby. Like I said above, his white books are worth every penny, and then some. I don't mind that he's built a business and makes his living providing a service to the hobby. I don't see that as any different from Rick and Jules at Mopar Essentials doing thier wiper motor restoration business. I'm glad to have them in business. However, IMHO, he has let the "guru" title go to his head. The way he acts, and the way his columns in MCG have come to read, he comes off like an arrogant jerk - as if he's the only one who knows anything about the "numbers" of the hobby. :roll: He is not the only one out there with a collection of fender tag and broadcast sheet data.

Sure, because of the way Ma Mopar did the record keeping, the numbers will many times not add up exactly, and I don't expect him to be 'perfect'. However, if he's going to write a column for the best (IMHO ;) ) Mopar magazine out there, I'd expect him to take the time to assure he is not pubishing incorrect information, i.e. the fender mounted turn signals & N96 hood issue. In the column where he was talking about the 71s, that wasn't the only incorrect fact he gave. I'd have to go back and re-read it to give specific examples, but I remember the point in question here, and at least 2 other "facts" he gave that I know for a fact to be incorrect. Not just inaccurate, but incorrect.
Dave

Moparlar
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 drag car, 72 440 6pack roadrunner my kids have a 71 gtx clone
And a roadrunner clone

Re: My position

Post by Moparlar » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:19 am

bbeep71 wrote: However, if he's going to write a column for the best (IMHO ;) ) Mopar magazine out there, I'd expect him to take the time to assure he is not pubishing incorrect information, i.e. the fender mounted turn signals & N96 hood issue. In the column where he was talking about the 71s, that wasn't the only incorrect fact he gave. I'd have to go back and re-read it to give specific examples, but I remember the point in question here, and at least 2 other "facts" he gave that I know for a fact to be incorrect. Not just inaccurate, but incorrect.
Dave, Do you recall when this article was, I would like to go and review it and see what he had wrong in the article.

Thanks Larry

Dave
Site Admin

Re: My position

Post by Dave » Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:59 am

Moparlar wrote: Dave, Do you recall when this article was, I would like to go and review it and see what he had wrong in the article.
Larry,

Hmmm... I want to say it was somewhere in the 2003 issues. But don't hold me to that. I've been so busy lately with work and everything that there is a pile of probably 2 or 3 months worth of Mopar mags sitting waiting for me to read them. :shock:

If I get some time, I'll dig into mine and see if I can find it. If I do, I'll post the issue here. Heh, maybe we can do a contest to see who can find everything wrong in his column. :lol:

Though I do feel like I have to say that while it annoys me that he would have comments published that are incorrect, he does have a decent bit of good information in his columns, if you can read around his arrogant tone. I have learned a good bit from him.
Dave