Wiper arm installation

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

Hugh
Satellite Sebring (RH)
My Cars: 1973 Plymouth Satellite Sebring 318/904/8.25

Wiper arm installation

Post by Hugh » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:19 pm

OK , maybe I am just tired, and need to walk away, but what is the trick to installing the wiper arms over the splines? I just pulled my whole drive linkage out to replace all of my broken bushings, as only the drivers wiper was barely working. Now my linkage is nice and tight, and quiet, too! I pulled the arms off about 5 years ago and I remember struggling with them, but forgot the way I got them back on. My drivers side is on but looks like it has to go on further, and the passenger side doesn't want to start due to the arm being off square to the fixed splines on the pivot. So what is the trick that works for you? :?

71bird
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 69 Coronet 4 door.71 Road Runner. 71Dodge Tradesman 100 Van. 75 Dodge Dart. 95 Dodge Neon.

Re: Wiper arm installation

Post by 71bird » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:36 am

I know what you mean, without the install tool, it's a real struggle trying to get the arm square while you slip it on.
71 Road Runner - J68

dangina
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 roadrunner

Post by dangina » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:18 pm

I just did this and turned it on, and it busted my arm completely, is there a position it has to be in before you attach the arm? I'd rather not got through this again as it was a huge pain in the a$$
400 stroked to 470ci, 3:55 Eaton true trac, slightly upgraded suspension lol

BUILD THREAD!!!! http://www.protouringmopar.com/showthread.php?796-1971-Speedipus-Rex&highlight=speedipus

Hugh
Satellite Sebring (RH)
My Cars: 1973 Plymouth Satellite Sebring 318/904/8.25

Post by Hugh » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:05 pm

It is hard to believe something as simple as this may seem can be so much trouble! I am leaving the arm off for now as I was one bushing short and am going to pull the whole assembly out again to do the fourth and final bushing. I am amazed at how much those little bushings tightened up my wipers! Should have done this years ago! The wiper motor is in the rest position so the wipers are down on the stops. I like the look of our cars concealed wipers, but they are are PITA. They bang on the rear edge of the hood if you don't use repro blades, even then it is very close. Your hood needs to be flush or slightly higher than the tops of the fenders. I have played with these off and on for the 8 years I've owned the car!