aftermarket intakes with airgrabber

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

dangina
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 roadrunner

Re: AND the rest of the story...

Post by dangina » Sat May 10, 2014 3:43 am

Thanks for the post, great work I'll be modifying mine when it comes in the mail :) so use the carb gasket as well so the two stick together? where did you get the vaccum hose from?
400 stroked to 470ci, 3:55 Eaton true trac, slightly upgraded suspension lol

BUILD THREAD!!!! http://www.protouringmopar.com/showthread.php?796-1971-Speedipus-Rex&highlight=speedipus

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Re: AND the rest of the story...

Post by road chicken » Sat May 10, 2014 9:45 am

dangina wrote: so use the carb gasket as well so the two stick together? where did you get the vaccum hose from?
I didn't plan it, :? i just noticed that they did stick together once they were heated up a couple times under pressure of being clamped together. It might not work long term but the vacuum hose seals fine by itself.

The vacuum hose you should be able to get any auto parts store. 1 foot might do, 2 feet will definitely give you plenty. Like 25 cents a foot.

OK off to enjoy the spoils of my work. Sunny Saturday morning, time to wake up the ricer brat across the street.

Added- next day...Sunday Morning. I have to love my neighbors. The guy across the street is tired of hearing the fart tip kid too. SO what does he do? At 94 years old mind you....he pulls out his survivor 63K miles 64 vette 327 4 spd, rag top, at 8 am Sunday Morning Mothers Day, in front of my house, and let's er rip down the street. I LOVE it!
4th generation B bodys- there is no substitute.
68 383, Street Demon 750, RPM top end,484/284/108 poo poo cam "-5 spd 4:10 SG, 4whl disk, Helwig Anti-Sway, Poly bushings,Firm Feel Box, HD Linkage, 1" t-bars, 7 leafs Springs

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Re: aftermarket intakes with airgrabber

Post by road chicken » Sun May 18, 2014 9:42 pm

One update concerning the tubing on the bottom of the velocity stack.

Since the clay showed I had headroom I tried a 3/16" tube with 3/32 thick walls for @ 3/8 total. It worked perfect. The carb is centered and just a little snug on the fit. You'll need 17" in length.

And a further update on May 30th- The bigger rubber seal wants to stick with the carb. I ran a light bead of Gorilla Glue in the tube and glued it to the fiberglass base plate. That should keep it with the base plate. maybe a little light grease onthe tube seal so it doesn't want to stick to the carb so much.
68 383, Street Demon 750, RPM top end,484/284/108 poo poo cam "-5 spd 4:10 SG, 4whl disk, Helwig Anti-Sway, Poly bushings,Firm Feel Box, HD Linkage, 1" t-bars, 7 leafs Springs

dangina
GTX (RS)

Post by dangina » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:29 pm

Hey road chicken, did you drill out the 2 holes on the front of the base like on the oem bases? These ones they just fiberglassed overtop of them

BUILD THREAD!!!! http://www.protouringmopar.com/showthread.php?796-1971-Speedipus-Rex&highlight=speedipus

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Post by road chicken » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:21 am

Not yet. Once I figure out a good way to attach the "down spouts" I will. I was thinking of fiberglass or some really tough adhesive like Gorrilla glue. it has to take that heat soak from the engine. Maybe splay the ends of the tube and fiberglass them in would probably be my first line of thinking.

dangina
GTX (RS)

Post by dangina » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:35 am

finished mine - thought you guys would enjoy!

cut the hole i needed - I cut more than road chicken - wanted to get it as low as possible so I have no issues:

My QFT carb has two screws on the car that were preventing it from going lower, the nuts are just the size i need to putty over

my dad teaching me how to work with carbon fiber

Use the piece I cut off to trace out the size of the hole

slowly sand to where I want it

sand, paint, put her on!

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:30 pm

Your dad must be an engineer (shirt, tie and pens in the pocket)....that's old school wearing a shirt and tie working on the car
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

dangina
GTX (RS)

Post by dangina » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:30 am

lol He's a orthotist and a prosthetist (He makes artificial limbs, braces ect) I brought the cleaner to his shop - He's the reason I've always loved mopars - he owns over 30 of them :)