Sunroof, no sunroof, vinyl top, or not...

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Sunroof, no sunroof, vinyl top, or not...

Post by Eric » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:38 am

I don't know 73s that well, but on a 71 sunroof car, the first digit of the VON (vehicle order number) would be a G. Early cars (71 and 72 I believe) were electric, and later cars were manual.
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

quapman
GTX (RS)

Post by quapman » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:23 am

JF1 in both places would indicate that your car did NOT have a vinyl top.

Can you post some interior roof shots?

I have a little experience with factory sunroof cars and might be able to say "yeah" or "nay" on yours. I also have a factory sunroof assembly...just the sliding door and "box", no roof. I have pics around here somewhere.

Be aware, if you start shopping for factory parts, that the 73-74 sunroofs are wider than the 71-72's and the parts don't always interchange.

patrick
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1973 Road Runner 440/4 speed

Post by patrick » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:20 pm

The order # (not sequence #) does NOT start with a letter; it's all numbers. Guess the prospect does not look good; however, if this is the case, there's a roof on E-bay (no Sunroof) I may buy.

Good to hear it didn't have a vinyl top. At least one mystery is down. And I guess this may or may not be consistent with a manual Sunroof.

I would take shots of the underside; however, there is a piece of sheet metal (complete with simulated faux wood), tack welded to the underside that I would need to somehow pry or drill off. One thing is for certain, the area where a Sunroof would be is ALL bondo, so it had one there at some point, factory or not, or at least a big gaping hole.
100% Death Proof

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:13 pm

Since factory sunroofs were sheetmetal (not glass), I'd imagine they would have just bondo'd up the seams and left the cassette in place (if your car was a factory sunroof car).
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

ILUV72RRs
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 340 Road Runner, 1972 400 Road Runner

Post by ILUV72RRs » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:14 am

I don't claim to know the '73 & '74 Road Runners all that well. But I know for a fact that the '71 & '72 power sunroof models came with either a full vinyl roof, or a canopy vinyl top. I think the '73 & '74 were also required to have a vinyl top equipped when they had a sunroof. It was later on when Mopar started having their cars available with sunroofs that didn't have a vinyl top on them. The '73 & '74 sunroofs, and later, were hand cranked; no power.

sdweatherman
Site Admin
My Cars: 1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1974 KB5 Plymouth Road Runner GTX Dealer Announcement car

Post by sdweatherman » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:53 am

I parted out a 73 Satellite Sebring Plus a couple years back. It had a vinyl top with sunroof. Sorry to say the sunroof parts sold quickly. If you decide to put a vinyl roof back on, I have the stainless trim that goes around the edges of the vinyl. Good luck with whatever you decide!
1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof
1974 KB5 Plymouth Road Runner GTX Dealer Announcement car

Dave
Site Admin
My Cars: 71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)
71 Satellite Sebring Plus (383/2bbl/auto)

Post by Dave » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:58 am

Probably one of the easiest ways to determine if it was a factory sunroof is to look at the dimensions of the opening. Stock ones were honestly huge. I don't know specifics on the 73/74s, but the 71/72 cars were in the ballpark of 19.5" x 43".

However, I believe that in 73/74 the sunroofs were done on the line @ the plant, not sent out to ASC for installation. I think your tag should carry the M52 code if your car did originally come with a sunroof. Again, I'm not sure on the 73/74 cars as much as I know on the 71s. I do know that on the 71s they didn't carry the M51 code (power), but did have a VON with a first digit of "G". That may have carried on to 72 as well.
Dave
Founder - The Road Runner Nest

71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)
71 Satellite Sebring Plus (383/2bbl/auto)

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:25 pm

Dave wrote: I do know that on the 71s they didn't carry the M51 code (power), but did have a VON with a first digit of "G". That may have carried on to 72 as well.
Careful Dave, not all build plants coded the sunroofs the same on fender tags for 71 :wink:

saltire001
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 1974 Road Runner w/factory sunroof, original 318 and matching numbers

Post by saltire001 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:46 pm

The E68 is probably correct for your car if it says E68.

Both E68 and E86 codes are for 400/4 barrel engines but the HP and Torque are different.

E68: 240hp@4400rpm and 325 lb -ft@3200rpm
E86: 260hp@4400rpm and 355 lb -ft@3200rpm

I believe all sunroof cars came with vinyl tops. My car is a 74 318 and it is a factory manual sunroof car that came with a vinyl top even though it no longer has it (which I don't intend to restore). The code for the sunroof with vinyl top is M52.

M51 was power sunroof with vinyl top and the only other molding code for sunroof cars was M53 which was for A bodies (one code for both manual or power sunroofs with vinyl top).

So it seems all sunroofs came with vinyl tops and people must have eventually removed them since most of the sunroof cars I have seen are without any vinyl like mine. 1971 and 1972 cars were sent to American Sunroof to have the sunroofs installed but the 1973 and 1974 models had theirs installed in the assembly line, using a kit from American Sunroof. Maybe as they do now, they may have had dealerships that manually installed sunroofs as per customer instructions but I highly doubt it.

I have yet to find a place that carries a full kit for the sunroof. I need to have it fully restored as pretty much all the non-metal parts are missing. However the funny thing is that even though all I have is some superficial weatherstripping that I cut and glued myself, I have driven the car in some pretty heavy rain and I am yet to see even a single drop of rain make its way into the car.