Source for 71 GTX Gas Tank?

Technical Question and Answer - On topic to 71-74 Plymouth B-bodies only.

Moderator: Site Administrators

bulletpruf
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Source for 71 GTX Gas Tank?

Post by bulletpruf » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:50 pm

Fellas -

Have a '71 GTX that sat in a garage for 25 years. Gas got a little gummy in the process. Car runs off an outboard tank, but duct taping the outboard tank to the hood is going to ruin my visibility, so I might as well get a new one. FYI - I've gone the route of cleaning out an old one before; if I can find a radiator shop that will boil it out, I'll go that route. If not, I'm not up for cleaning it myself - too much work, too many chemicals, too many bad memories.

Ok, sorry for rambling - my specific question - is there just one gas tank manufacturer on the market (I see Year One has 'em listed) or are there several? If there are several, any recommendations? If there's just one, how good is it?

Thanks!

Scott
71 GTX, 440, 4 sp, Track Pack, Formal Black, Air Grabber, Spoilers, 61k miles

72RoadRunnerGTX
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner/GTX
1972 Satellite Sebring
1972 Satellite Sebring(big block parts car)

Post by 72RoadRunnerGTX » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:57 pm

I purchased a tank from an ebay seller going by the user name mqproducts some time ago and stored it for about a year or so until I was ready to install it. Found it had something rattling around inside it, turned out to be a brass check valve that had dislodged from one of the internal vent lines. Contacted the seller and he sent another tank no questions asked. CR10A should be the correct repo tank for a 71’.

AZ-Nick
GTX (RS)

Post by AZ-Nick » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:55 am

I found a Rad shop that boiled my tank out after sitting for 30yrs.
It came out real nice and it is back under the car once again.
71 GTX 4sp GY9
70 R/T Challenger - 80's look

http://www.nicksclassicparts.com

bulletpruf
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Post by bulletpruf » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:53 pm

Thanks for the info, fellas. Will see if I can find a radiator shop that will boil it out. If not, I'll pick up a new one.

Scott

landon1
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring

Post by landon1 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:07 pm

i think they've gone up a bit, but i replaced mine a few years ago for about $200, as it had a big dent in it, which resulted in a crack and that putty junk would only do the trick for awhile :wink:

bulletpruf
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Post by bulletpruf » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:27 am

Ended up just cleaning it out myself. Didn't look so bad when I got it out, so I pressure washed the inside, which got most of the gunk out. Then I put a chain in there with some cleaning solution and swished it around for a while; this got most of the rest of the junk. Running pretty good now, but you can still smell the bad gas that it's burning - must be in the fuel lines and carb.

Thanks,

Scott