passenger body panel

Have comments or questions on Project Blue Bird? Post them here!

Moderator: Site Administrators

PaulRR72

passenger body panel

Post by PaulRR72 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:39 am

I need a piece of rear quarter for my 72 RR from the rear wheelwell forward 8 inches and 10 inches high,. noticed one pic in the journal shows just that piece on the floor and the caption says you saved the back part for some other project. Was that part trashed or what became of it? You also mention the 'Bird Pile" is this a wrecking yard and how do I find them?

Dave
Site Admin
My Cars: 71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)
71 Satellite Sebring Plus (383/2bbl/auto)

Post by Dave » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:58 am

Paul,

The section of quarter panel we saved from that side of the car has gone to help a 71 GTX get back on the road. The part that you are looking for from my car was trashed. If you check out the pictures, you can see it had about a gallon of bondo in it just to get it close to the original body lines. The car had been hit in the quarter and door over 20 years ago.

The "Bird Pile" was an almost affectionate name we gave to a 71 Road Runner parts car that Bruce once owned, sold to my buddy John, and John parted out.

Are you needing that section of quarter from the passenger side or the driver side? I have one more set of quarter panels that I might let go of for the right price.
Dave
Founder - The Road Runner Nest

71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)
71 Satellite Sebring Plus (383/2bbl/auto)

PaulRR72

Post by PaulRR72 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:24 pm

Just need a small piece, not a whole panel. was going to make a patch but thought if you had one just sorta laying around, well.... There is a 71 satelite near here i may get the panel from if it isn't wrecked also, I'll be checking on that in a couple of days. Thanks tho.

landon1
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring

Post by landon1 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:54 pm

Hi
Could you tell me where you got ahold of quarters for a 71? I patched mine and used some light filler, but whenever I get the chance to re-do my car, I'd like to replace them. Also, any chance you know about the rear section of the front fender-I had to patch that too. Eventually, I think I'll need a new passenger door, because there was a dip in it-lucky for me it's not too noticeable since the paint has a color-changing effect with all the pearl. Just thought I'd ask.
Thanks
Landon

bruce
Site Admin

Post by bruce » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:44 pm

Now Dave, you know saying John "parted out" the Bird Pile is like saying Elvis is "kinda" dead... :lol:

Landon, no one I'm aware of is manufacturing true "OEM replacement" style quarter panels for '71s. You can find replacement panels and patch panels for the cars from Sherman and Associates, and Auto Body Specialties. However, I think both of these companies are spotty as to whether they will actually have them in stock. Also, they're the typical "made in China" panels. Meaning they're gonna need some serious massaging to fit and look decent.
Bruce Anliker