sunroof installation

Have comments or questions on Project Blue Bird? Post them here!

Moderator: Site Administrators

sunroof installation

Post by 1958300 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:30 pm

I have a wrecked 74 roadrunner with a manual sunroof, and I want to cut the sunroof out and install it in my 71 superbee. Can you tell me how many man hours are involved with this project? Yours looks wonderful, and I have always wanted a 71 superbee with a sunroof. Since the factory only made 9, mine will be number 10. I want to know if I can afford this swap before I get in too deep, since I have a $2000 budget for this work.
Thanks, Phillip

Dave
Site Admin
My Cars: 71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)
71 Satellite Sebring Plus (383/2bbl/auto)

Post by Dave » Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:14 am

Hi!

I can't tell you exactly how much time we have in the sunroof itself. I could probably go back and see if I can figure it out from my body guy's notes though. Don't forget, if you look through the pictures, there was a good amount of time spent cutting down and reforming the 21" door into a 19" door. Also, we spent the time to finish the body work so that it looked good in paint. If you are planning on putting on a vinyl top (to make it more "factory correct"), that could cut down on your time as well. I can tell you, at least for reference, that we have over 400 hours in the entire body work.
Dave
Founder - The Road Runner Nest

71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)
71 Satellite Sebring Plus (383/2bbl/auto)

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Post by road chicken » Sat May 07, 2005 10:01 pm

Dave -

I just went and looked at the pics for the install of the sunroof.

1- your body guy is craftsman! WoW what talent.

2- I'm so glad I lucked into the whole roof- complete. I can do rust patching and that sort, nuthing like what you guys were doing.

3- What are the odds of swapping the whole roof off of the 74 onto the 71? The 1/4 are obviously different- but it would be a whole lot easier to swap the whole roof, if possible. I guess that would be depending primarily in the location of the 1/4 seam, and the length of the upper rail- so the window has enough room to close and seal fully
4th generation B bodys- there is no substitute.
68 383, Street Demon 750, RPM top end,484/284/108 poo poo cam "-5 spd 4:10 SG, 4whl disk, Helwig Anti-Sway, Poly bushings,Firm Feel Box, HD Linkage, 1" t-bars, 7 leafs Springs