No, I'm not excited at all, why? Our goal for this evening was to assemble all the sunroof parts and actually give the thing a real test run. Last evening I tested the motors I have just themselves, and was happy to find that both work very well. Here are a few pictures of Billy and I doing the initial timing (alignment) of the cables.
I'm really glad I had taken the time to read through the FSM (a copy I have out of a 72, since the sunroof stuff isn't in the 71 books for some reason) a number of times before attempting this. Really having a good understanding of the parts, and how it goes to gether made it go a lot easier. Not to mention all the advice and help I've gotten from people like Gary & Pam (G-Series).
Here it is, with the door in and all the way closed. Still some allignment to do, and the cables still need a little timing adjustment, but for a first pass, it's really quite close, and the door slides without a problem.
We ran it manually first, then once we were happpy with how it functioned, we gave it a try with the motor. With my new digital camera, I was able to capture a little video of the action.
http://www.roadrunnernest.com/Project/2 ... unroof.avi
You can see it stop while it's going backwards - that's just due to loosing power for a minute. We just had the wiring rigged up, and holding a lead to each side of a battery. It does run quite nicely back and forth, though there is a lot of room for improvement once we do a better cleaning of the cable runs in the track, and there's still a few places in the track that will need a little tweak to be 100% straight.
I'm just REALLY excited to know that the sunroof really is going to work like we hoped!
Periodic project updates with pictures from the restoration of one of our feature cars.
Moderator: Site Administrators
1 post • Page 1 of 1