5/13/2004 - Finally progress again - more sunroof door work

Periodic project updates with pictures from the restoration of one of our feature cars.

Moderator: Site Administrators

Dave
Site Admin
My Cars: 71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)
71 Satellite Sebring Plus (383/2bbl/auto)

5/13/2004 - Finally progress again - more sunroof door work

Post by Dave » Fri May 14, 2004 12:00 pm

Wow! I can't believe that 2 months went by so quickly! It simply shows how normal life can push projects to the back burner. :) No big deal, we are back on track again, and making progress.

Billy has the metal work on the sunroof door pretty much done, and it really looks great. Here is the good door next to the original 19" door.

It's amazing that you honestly can't tell the good door was ever anything but a 19" door. :D

We put the front guides on the door and gave it a more accurate test fit. It looks great! We also put in the one of the old cables I had for a more accurate trial fit on the back side of the door. Here are some pic's of the trial fit. The cable is in the driver's side, so that's why the passenger back edge is a bit lower here.

Billy checking out the fit...

And a shot from inside the car.

Speaking of inside the car, here's the rear console bracket welded in. One last bit of seam sealer, and the floor pans will be ready for paint.

I've had a few questions about Billy's van, which has been in the background of a number of the pictures. It's motivated by a very healthy 340. Billy's goal with the van has been custom work that looks very factory. It has a Ford Focus sunroof grafted into it so well that it looks like a factory installation. Note the shaved front door handles, and the Dodge Caravan door handles in the side and rear doors.

Speaking of Caravan parts, note the relocated fuel filler, now with the Caravan fuel door, and a shortened plate pocket from the Caravan liftgate.

His latest addition to the truck is the custom work on the bumpers. He eliminated the bumper bolts for a smooth look, and putting in these amazing driving lights in the front bumper. He took the time to roll the edge into the driving light tubes so that it mimics the factory opening in the middle. What a great look!

There is no question in my mind that I have had the RIGHT man working on my Road Runner!