10/16/2004 Trying the wheels, and pic's of the frame ties

Periodic project updates with pictures from the restoration of one of our feature cars.

Moderator: Site Administrators

Dave
Site Admin
My Cars: 71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)
71 Satellite Sebring Plus (383/2bbl/auto)

10/16/2004 Trying the wheels, and pic's of the frame ties

Post by Dave » Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:02 pm

First, here are the promised pictures of the frame ties. These are the Mopar Performance bolt in ones, which we had planned from the beginning to both bolt and weld in. This also shows the color of the SEM product (similar to POR-15) that we used to finish the whole bottom of the car. I'm really impressed with how close this is to the factory grey primer.

This picture shows the modification we needed to make the the connectors to make them fit as tight against the floor. The problem was that the very bottom of the frame rail, where it tucks down below and then flanges into the floor pan hit the actual "bar" part of the connector, and wouldn't let the "cup" at the back come all the way up on the frame rail where it needed to go. Our solution was to trim the rail out a bit more, and it's welded from the cup, all the way along that lower edge of the frame rail.

They really stiffen the car up. Even the sound of closing a door, or a tap on the framerail or floor pan sounds completely different. While I don't expect I'll ever be running the car hard enough on a regular basis to really "need" the ties, it's nice to know they are there.

Well, since she's home, I just HAD to see how the wheels and tires were going to look on her. All I can say is WOW!