junk yard find

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

xray
GTX (RS)

junk yard find

Post by xray » Mon May 15, 2006 9:13 pm

I went to the junk yard to checkout some power window stuff. I got side tracked and started to look at cherokee parts because this place didnt have a single cordoba. As I was leaving I stumbled around a big pile of rear ends to see if I could find a dana 44 for my cherokee. One of the first rears I looked at was a dana 60 that was stripped of the axles. I didnt pay any attention to it. As I was getting ready to leave I saw a set of sommers bros. shafts, something told me to see if they fit the 60. They did and sitting right next to them were the rest of the parts to complete the bare axles. I checked to see if all the parts fit into the bare 60 and they did. I measured the 60. Wms to wms is 61 in. and the bolt pattern is 5 on 4 1/2. I offerd the guy 100 for the whole thing but he told me he needed to get 150 for it. I acted like I didnt want to spend that much as I pulled out the cash and handed it to him. As I drove away I knew that I just got a great deal on a dana 60 . It is a couple of inches shorter than a stock and I think that is a good thing, now I can put a little more meat on the rear. It has 373 gears in it and it is an open rear, so I have to get a posi unit for it and weld on some spring perches and I'll be set. Junk yards are so much fun, you always find things that you dont plan on.

aerodynamic
GTX (RS)

Post by aerodynamic » Tue May 16, 2006 11:39 am

When I restored my 74 runner, I needed a rear end for it because the one in the car was NFG. I went to the junkyard and found a 72 satellite with a good rear end still in the car. I think they got me for $150 on that one too. They picked the whole car up and flipped it over onto it's roof, blowing out the windows. That kinda bothered me at the time, just seemed like it needed a little more respect than that. It was the quickest way to get the rear end out though. They hacked it out with acetylene torches in a few seconds and dropped it right into the back of my truck.

bruce
Site Admin

Post by bruce » Tue May 16, 2006 8:28 pm

Go to the j-yard with me, would you? I need some of your luck! :D

Of course, there WAS that time I stumbled across the front clip for a '70 Cuda...
Bruce Anliker

xray
GTX (RS)

Post by xray » Wed May 17, 2006 1:54 am

hey Bruce, I would think you come across alot of good parts in your area. Im going to Washington state for work in a month or so. I will be stopping at a few yards on the way. Last time we made the trip we saw some sweet western cars for sale at a bone yard. One was a 71 383 4sp. R/T challenger , it was complete, I dont know if it was num. matching. The price was 4200. Im not an e body guy but I think I should have gotten that one. I have passed up some sweet deals because they werent 71 b body plymouths.

bruce
Site Admin

Post by bruce » Wed May 17, 2006 11:27 am

xray wrote:hey Bruce, I would think you come across alot of good parts in your area. Im going to Washington state for work in a month or so. I will be stopping at a few yards on the way. Last time we made the trip we saw some sweet western cars for sale at a bone yard. One was a 71 383 4sp. R/T challenger , it was complete, I dont know if it was num. matching. The price was 4200. Im not an e body guy but I think I should have gotten that one. I have passed up some sweet deals because they werent 71 b body plymouths.

Oh yeah, that's one you shoulda... not a 71 b-body? Just flip it for b-body spending money! :lol:
Bruce Anliker