Horror Story

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

pigman
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Horror Story

Post by pigman » Sun May 14, 2006 9:36 pm

Well .. I can't believe I let this happen. I recently changed out my stock Carter TTQ for a new Double Feed Holley 750. I should have locked down the air filter bolt with a nut next to the carb, but didn't.

Last Thurs, the bolt fell through the carb, into one of the intake valves, bounced off the piston (or at least part of the bolt did), and exited the exhaust valve to travel across the intake manifold and down one of the intake valves on the other side of the engine! :shock:

I have just started to figure out all the damage. But, I got 3 spark plugs that have had the gap removed (the piston must have shoved something against the tip) .. so I know I got serious problems. :cry:

Anyone else have this happen? Or heard of it? Depending on the damage, I may make a stroker out of my 400... I found a lead on parts here: http://www.440source.com/

Anyone had any experience with that outfit?

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Post by road chicken » Mon May 15, 2006 2:28 am

WOW, sorry to hear that!!!! That just sucks.

I've never heard of the aircleaner stud taking off like that. Usually they are under enough tension to hold them in place. I'll be giving mine a little dab of Blue loctite asap.
4th generation B bodys- there is no substitute.
68 383, Street Demon 750, RPM top end,484/284/108 poo poo cam "-5 spd 4:10 SG, 4whl disk, Helwig Anti-Sway, Poly bushings,Firm Feel Box, HD Linkage, 1" t-bars, 7 leafs Springs

pigman
Satellite Sebring (RH)

From Brown to Gold???

Post by pigman » Wed May 17, 2006 8:43 am

Well folks ... I think it's time to take the bird up a bit to brag mode. I have worked it out with the old lady to dump about 6 big bills into my tired 400 big block.

I have decided on a stroker kit from http://www.440source.com/strokerkits.htm and to go all the way with a set of roller rockers, roller cam, new heads, ect... I am hoping to keep it below 6K with all labor, parts, ect ... but I will go into debt (for a MOPAR.. it's gotta be worth it).

rr6pak
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Tor-Red RR

None

Post by rr6pak » Wed May 17, 2006 1:47 pm

What a bummer Pigman! I have heard of good things from 440source. They have a good rep with good prices. Heck, they can even biuld an engine. Another goodn place is Hughes Engines in Illinois. They ONLY work on MOTHER MOPAR! They build engines for racing and even do restorations. They can take your block and stroke it with what ever you want. They have or they make an engine "Stealth" which means the outside appears stock but the insides are different. They too would be a good place to contact.
www.hughesengines.com.

pigman
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Post by pigman » Wed May 17, 2006 6:12 pm

Thanks ... I have ordered the stroker kit (400 -> 500) from the 440 folks and may get the cam from Hughes.

This engine should look fairly stock, but I can't wait to feel another 100 cubes. I have Hooker Comps 1 7/8 with the 3" dumps already.... I plan to let the beast breath through a 3" exhaust system right out to the end of my new "machine gun" tips.

Follow the upgrade:

http://www.tpigman.com/plymouth/engine2/engine.html

pigman
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Post by pigman » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:59 am

http://www.thepigpenforum.com/forum7/836.html

Well .. today should be the day I get my 72 RR (clone) out of the shop. I wrote earlier that the engine got the rebuild action ... and while I was at it, a STROKER kit, roller cam/rockers, etc.

Can't wait to hear what she sounds like now .... :beer: