General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

ct71rr
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Road Runner

wreck to riches

Post by ct71rr » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:24 am

hello everyone,
Did you see the road runner/satellite/gtx on the new tv show wrecks to riches on TLC? I believe it was a '71, painted plum crazy with 426 crate motor and electronic tranny. Awesome!!! I wasn't too crazy about the front fender/hood stripe though. They actioned it off for $75,000.00 in Las Vegas.

bruce
Site Admin

Post by bruce » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:16 am

Yep, I watched it. While I thought the car turned out pretty well, I also thought the guy building it was an OBVIOUS GM-building fool who didn't know squat about Mopars. Like getting upset he couldn't open the trunk with the ignition key. Or like painting the hemi BLACK before installing it. Or like installing a Furd 9" rear. Or whining about the marker lights and painting them "hugger" orange, all the while not realizing you can buy them reproduced. I could go on, but I don't want to sound like a total basher, cuz I certainly wouldn't turn down owning that car! Although I wouldn't pay $76k for it either...
Bruce Anliker

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:43 pm

Also didn't seem to understand that you could get a Hemi in a road runner and that the GTX didn't automatically come with one....and cutting up a road runner to patch a satellite!!!
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Post by road chicken » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:26 pm

on TLC huh,

The Learning How NOT to do it Channel. :D
4th generation B bodys- there is no substitute.
68 383, Street Demon 750, RPM top end,484/284/108 poo poo cam "-5 spd 4:10 SG, 4whl disk, Helwig Anti-Sway, Poly bushings,Firm Feel Box, HD Linkage, 1" t-bars, 7 leafs Springs

ct71rr
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Road Runner

Post by ct71rr » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:34 pm

Exactly, that dude, I believe Barry White is his name, is a total tool and a bit of an arse, as well. He's been on a few other shows on TLC. He always rubs me the wrong way. Their lack of knowledge, "GTX's all came with Hemi's", is a bit sad. And that ford rear??!!I thought it was weird that they said it cost three grand for all the body work. I'm hoping they meant just in supplies otherwise, i'm sending my RR to him tomorrow (after i help him out with the side marker issue)!! Anyway, still a gorgeous car!!

scottish440
GTX (RS)

GTbrandX

Post by scottish440 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:40 pm

Are you guys talking about the satellite part roadrunner/ GTbrandX......man I thought
I was gunna have to change the channel when they started putting that F0rD 9" rear end in that thing.......oh man!!!! The RR probably had a perfectly fine 8 3/4..... lighter than a F 9"inch and way better...!!!!

You know I was so pumped right before it came on....I was excited...and then it was like someone slowly started poking holes in my bubble.......I didn't bust though...cuz their our cars!!!!!

And how do you buy a 1600 dollar RR on E-Bay.....then wind up with 1500 dollar HEMI block.....this is like mid 90's pricing...(well both turned out to be crap though)

it sure did bring alot at the auction......

Love the car hate the builder "dang'd ole chvy guys"

.......Take Care...scott

landon1
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring

Post by landon1 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:04 pm

Saw the commercial for it, but didn't know when it was on. Obviously I didn't miss much-people ruining mopars. :( Personally, I don't think any car that sounds like that should cost $76000. I find it ridiculous that there's a 6Pack RR on ebay has a 100000+ buy it now and the first bid was almost 90000--sounds like a B-J person selling it. They're great cars and all, but they're going to be getting up to camaro prices, where a rusted out shell will cost about 5-10000. :roll:

scottish440
GTX (RS)

GTbrandX

Post by scottish440 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:45 pm

What would the car have sold for without the HEMI???

landon1
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring

Post by landon1 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:54 am

Well, I saw the show now. The problem is that he is a street rod builder. I've seen him on a deal for '32 roadsters, I think. You know how street rodders are: a million parts from who knows how many different makes. The trunk key thing was pretty funny, though. I can remember not being able to unlock the doors while I was parked at school. I ended up unlocking the trunk, lifting up on the back seat rest to get in and unlock the door-then I realized I had to use the other key for the door. :oops: And the marker light deal--anybody heard of "Year One"? The interior is more like 72 and later, the mirrors are stinkin' black, 20" wheels, electric shifter, no front spoilers, doesn't even have a header panel emblem, cut dash--What?! :rant: That car looks like it's sitting too high. Then again, I only have about 2.5-3 inches cuz of the side pipes. I still don't like the touring cars they're doing now. A muscle car is that for a reason-it takes muscle to drive one (that's my grandma's definition). Oh yeah, another thing that bothered me-he was saying the cars never had power steering or brakes, AC-he even claimed heat. What a joke. :mad:

Josh

a waste

Post by Josh » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:16 am

what a waste to chop a RR like that! :mad: this guy needs to be slapped

bruce
Site Admin

Re: a waste

Post by bruce » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:45 am

Josh wrote:what a waste to chop a RR like that! :mad: this guy needs to be slapped

Sounds like I trained ya right. :D
Bruce Anliker

Josh

yep

Post by Josh » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:54 am

sure enough sure enough 8)

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Re: a waste

Post by road chicken » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:19 pm

bruce wrote:
Josh wrote:what a waste to chop a RR like that! :mad: this guy needs to be slapped

Sounds like I trained ya right. :D

Here Here- Josh your coming along NICELY.

Lets not forget Landon1- either. Nicely done :bump:

Good thing they weren't around for the Irish Spring Explosion of 05' :D

I will say one thing in defense of the guy that did this. Since he's ovbiously a

Cracked
Heads
Every
Valve
Rattles
Oil
Leaks
Every
Time

Sort of guy- you be replacing stuff too. It just comes natural to them. You can take the boy out of the CHEVY- But you can't take the CHEVY out of the boy.

I am SUCH an ASS!!! I hate myself
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
4th generation B bodys- there is no substitute.
68 383, Street Demon 750, RPM top end,484/284/108 poo poo cam "-5 spd 4:10 SG, 4whl disk, Helwig Anti-Sway, Poly bushings,Firm Feel Box, HD Linkage, 1" t-bars, 7 leafs Springs

orangerunner
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Post by orangerunner » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:48 pm

This was a somewhat frustrating episode to watch.

I respect the skill and workmanship that went into the car but cutting up a Road Runner to build a clone GTX from a 318 Satellite body is wrong.

To someone who simply wants a cool looking car that goes fast, I suppose this is fine. As someone who really appreciates these cars as modern works of art it is disheartening.

It's sad when the market dictates that a 318 Satellite can have a Hemi engine put in and sell for $76,000 when an original 383 Road Runner restored with its numbers match engine sells for much less.

I realize a Hemi engine is expensive and having one under the hood makes for a faster car but a clone will always be a clone.

Let's not forget that the people bidding on the car at that auction probably knew it would be part of a future TV show and increase in value once the show airs.

71440 gtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 gtx 71 340 duster
Location: I am here, or is it there? GIF image (animated, 49 frames)

Post by 71440 gtx » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:44 pm

The car was nice looking, but Barry White is a total *****. Taking a GTX emblem and sticking it in the grill does NOT make a GTX no matter what way you look at it. Do it right.. Call it a modified Satellite, which is what it was. Then take it to auction calling it a GTX and ask top dollar :rant:
71 gtx 440 4speed air grabber blue on blue with white vinyl roofOption cassette player

Plymouth's gonna getcha!
There are 3 things that will live forever, cockroaches, Keith Richards, & slant 6