And one MAJOR gripe...

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

rr724ever

And one MAJOR gripe...

Post by rr724ever » Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:07 am

Why are there a GLUT of reproduction body and interior parts for Barracudas and Challengers, but practically NOTHING for 71-74 B-bodies at Year One - or ANYWHERE?!!!

The only thing they have are the stupid stickers and stripes - and what good are those if you don't have a car left to put them on?

It almost seems like a snub.

Dave
Site Admin
My Cars: 71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)
71 Satellite Sebring Plus (383/2bbl/auto)

It's quite simple, actually...

Post by Dave » Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:15 am

There aren't as many reproduction parts for the 71-74's as there are for other year Mopars, for the same reason there aren't as many Mopar reproduction parts as there are for the Brand-X cars. It's simply not cost effective to invest the money into making a product with such a limited audience. Plymotuth simply didn't build that many 71-74's.

Though before you go getting all worked up about things, trust me, today there is a LOT more available than there was just 3 or 4 years ago. Laysons for example now has 71 marker lights and should have tail lights soon, and last I heard 71/72 wheel opening mouldings are now available (I had the chance to inspect the prototype set at Carlisle this year). Legendary has reproduction upper door panels now in a few styles, and I know they are working on more as the demand is there. They also have the lower door panels now (and back seat panels), as well as bucket seat backs. None of this stuff was available with I bought my Road Runner in 1998.

The simple fact is, that as the 71-74's become more popular (because of the upward trend in prices for earlier b-bodies, and the downward trend in available project cars), the more we will see become available.
Dave
Founder - The Road Runner Nest

71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)

rr724ever

Post by rr724ever » Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:08 pm

Dave,

Now that I'm thinking about it, you ARE right - it is better, but still not very good. I would have hoped that by now you could at least get patch panels...

Anyway, here is a story for you:

Circa '80 - '82 my father decided that he wanted to restore our '72 Road Runner - the inner and outer quarter panels were rotted and the hood hinges were beginning to deteriorate.

He took it to three body shops to get estimates on what it would cost. Each one of them said it was impossible to restore and the last guy he spoke to laughed at him.

He was basically told that if he was serious, it would cost $3000 to $5000 to make an attempt at a restoration and that the inner panels were untouchable. Back then $3K - $5K was quite a lot ot restore a car. Filling the Road Runner with bondo was not an option for us.

Because of this, he was forced to sell the car three years later for $500 (June '85) to somebody he eventually did fill it with bondo.

It's a pretty tragic story - at least for me anyway. Again, I'm just disappointed things are not better for these cars

oldyeller73

Post by oldyeller73 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:10 pm

:cry: Yeah i know i hate it,i have been waiting for a couple of years now on quarter panels!!Gawd i miss my car!! :cry:

rr724ever

Post by rr724ever » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:10 pm

old yeller 73 wrote::cry: Yeah i know i hate it,i have been waiting for a couple of years now on quarter panels!!Gawd i miss my car!! :cry:
Try waiting 24+ years... They didn't have them in '81 and they sure don't have them now... :(

JosephGiannini
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 roadrunner 340 4 barrel with 727

hey beep

Post by JosephGiannini » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:52 am

do you know where to get 72 grilles ? email me at josephgiannini@yahoo.com
I own a 340 850hp Dick landy industries spec engine god rest his soul.
A Mopar god Is dead.
1972 roadrunner.

6o4o
Road Runner (RM)

Re: hey beep

Post by 6o4o » Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:06 am

I bought last fall a totally rust free and mostly complete satellite for 1000$ because I thought I would need the panels for my 72 RR GTX. But the body-guy made all the missing and rusted out metal parts himself (lower quarters, lower door skin, lower fenders). I know of a guy that let redo all the metal sheets for his car in Hungary, all HANDMADE! It's just a question of time, skill and money, but it's possible I think. As much as I know they make the metalsheet for RollsRoyce all by hand?
And if that's missing, get a rust free quarter from another car, you STILL get that stuff. Nobody said that's a cheap hobby, it's terrible expensive compaired to having a 1 of a Million Mustang, but to me exactly that makes it so special about to own the ONLY real 72 RR GTX in the country!

Talking about parts... anyone knows where to get REAL outter door window weatherstrips? I bought 2 sets now and both are worst than crap! They are made out of rubber that bends down when rolling down the window, far away from the originals that are felts! My friend told me that he bought 10 years ago felt ones?! No idea where he got those from, today it doesn't seem that you get them anymore?
And where do you get the rear light harness that connects to the rear lights directly? That's also something he told me he bought a few years ago from YearOne, but I can't find that anymore... ;(
72 RR GTX, No. matching 440, 68 727, body TX9, B5 interior, got doorsticker, but no buildsheet
72 Satellite 318-Auto, all No.matching, with buildsheet

Both cars tasting now swiss cheese ;)

Dave
Site Admin
My Cars: 71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)

Window fuzzies

Post by Dave » Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:13 am

I got my window fuzzies from Fritz at First Place Auto. I don't have his card handy here at work, but I'll try to get his contact info added here tonight.

The rear light harness should still be available from Year One. It was when I checked a month and a half ago.

6o4o
Road Runner (RM)

Re: Window fuzzies

Post by 6o4o » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:57 am

Is it this site?

http://www.fpap.com/

I emailed them, they have no weatherstrip information for windows on their site, but mention something in the news... got 2 kits, one from Year1 and one from R/T Specialities, both are the same crap... useless rubber seals for the outter windowchannel. It would be really great if they sell the fuzzie ones!

You can look at year1:

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/head ... =112AB4847

I did get RL74 if I remember right. It goes from the front to the rear quarter. There is a socket. Then there is a harness that plugs in there and goes to the tail lights and passenger side blinker. THIS harness I can't find....
72 RR GTX, No. matching 440, 68 727, body TX9, B5 interior, got doorsticker, but no buildsheet
72 Satellite 318-Auto, all No.matching, with buildsheet

Both cars tasting now swiss cheese ;)