72 Sat to 72 RR

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

rr724ever

72 Sat to 72 RR

Post by rr724ever » Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:38 am

I estimate that with in 3 years I should be in a position to get a Plymouth B-body. I want a Road Runner and don't want to settle for a Satellite *but*...

I also estimate that by then, and even now, it would be VERY expensive to buy a 72 Road Runner with a solid body... Correct me if I'm wrong but $12K would probably get you a RR with possible shabby body work, some missing and mutalated pieces and a questionable motor...However, $12K WILL get you a Satellite that's solid intact and in great shape... This leads me to my question(s)

1. How hard would it be to aquire the necessary pieces to convert a 72 Satellite into a 72 Road Runner?

I know the stuff under the skin won't be hard - Dual exhaust sytem, headers, sway bars, HD suspension, radiator, water pump, etc. What WILL be hard are the cosmetics. I'm sure the grill center piece will be nearly IMPOSSIBE to find... Finding the correct hood will be a challenge, and altering the VIN from "RL (or H?)" to "RM" would be really hard as well (just kidding about that one)

Anyway, you probably would have a hard time finding the interior pieces like the dash passenger side wood panel, the ralley gauge cluster (if the Sat has the other one) and a RR steering wheel...

Am I wrong about this?

Does anybody make reproductions of any of the cosmetic 72 Road Runner pieces? (besides the RR decals)

I would have a difficult time parting out a beat-up RR to restore a Satellite - that has always happened the other way around.

Thanks for your help.

DixieSatellite
Satellite Sebring Plus (RP)

72 Sat to 72 RR

Post by DixieSatellite » Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:41 am

Hi,

Perhaps you could consider this. You say that in 3 years you should be in a position to get a Plymouth B-body and that you want a Road Runner and don't want to settle for a Satellite...OK.

First off, how is your budget? You say that it would be very expensive to buy a '72 Road Runner with a solid body and that $12K would probably get a RR with possible shabby body work, some missing and mutilated pieces and a questionable motor.

Things go in cycles - you don't really know how much things will cost and there is enough supply and demand to have a range of prices. It depends what you are able / willing to do yourself. The eBay and Hemmings prices don't dictate everything - join a local club for contacts who are letting cars go at reasonable prices (but have had a certain amount of work done) or just honest cars that need TLC but for a good price. You might even find a car that has come along due to a divorce etc. Remember cash is king = big discount.

I would expect $6-7K would get you a Satellite that is solid and in great shape. You should also get plenty of good options. My SSP has a 400-4BBL, buckets, rallye dash, console, Slapstik and Tuff wheel - all factory options. Also came with 14 in. Rallyes. but they have been relegated to the back of the garage.

How hard would it be to aquire the necessary pieces to convert a 72 Satellite into a 72 Road Runner?

As menationed above, another consideration is how much time and money you have. Everyone should have a budget and then you can set about finding / making the best car that you can with the resources available.

I know the stuff under the skin won't be hard - Dual exhaust sytem, headers, sway bars, HD suspension, radiator, water pump, etc. What WILL be hard are the cosmetics. I'm sure the grill center piece will be nearly IMPOSSIBE to find... Finding the correct hood will be a challenge, and altering the VIN from "RL (or H?)" to "RM" would be really hard as well (just kidding about that one)

The dual exhaust system / headers / sway bars / suspension etc. is all available but cost $ and time to find. Hoods seem to come up regularly on eBay etc. and specialty wreckers should still have them. Again a local club is probably the best place to go to know what cars and parts are available - the car that you want is probably no further than 10-20 miles from where you are. The money that you spend on all this stuff (in addition) and the Satellites use a lot of the same stuff anyway.

I am not sure about the dash passenger side wood panel - probably something that you could do there. The Tach would be all you need I guess as far as the rallye Dash would be concerned if iy alradt had th dash. Do you want a 4-speed w/ pistol grip or a Slapstik Auto? As for RR Steering wheel, do you mean the Tuff wheel or the other one? I am grateful very day that when I bought ny car it had ALL the trim on it. Year One has a lot of stuff as does Legendary Auto, but boy, it is not cheap.
For my part, I like the RRs but as the years go by, I see that few people have SSPs, so I am glad to have the SSP now. The lame color combo can be changed and the engine combo is or can be made RR spec anyway. The John Herlitz (?) designed B-body is a versatile design and looks great in many styles / incarnations.

As with every project, good planning and knowing your limitations is important. I am not implying you are not capable or do not have the resources, not at all - I am just very aware of my own limitations as to what I can and cannot do.

It also boils down to a matter of personal taste really. One thing I like is 'phantom cars' - the cars that factory did not produce, but could have / should have. If I was faced due to $ with having an average Road Runner or a Satellite RR clone, I would pick up a solid Satellite with good options (318 / 383 / 400), console, buckets, Rallye dash, Tuff wheel (often find those in the SSP, but they are getting rarer). I would slap a nice (reasonably priced) paint job on it with some nice wheels (Rallye / Magnum 500s (14s or 15s) and get a full set of '70 'Sport Satellite' badges / Insignia. That way I would have a 1 of 0 '71 or '72 Plymouth Sport Satellite.

It would be something different and noone would really be sure if you had a genuine article 1 of 1 or 1 one of 0. You might even get someone trying to tell you that they had an uncle who used to have one.

Good luck.

Ian B.
'72 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus 400-4BBL

rr724ever

Post by rr724ever » Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:45 pm

Ian,

That was a really good reply, thanks for your insight. Proper planing is the key and I guess that's why I'm starting 3 years ahead of time.

I'd say that by the time I'd be ready to buy, I be willing to play $12K - $14K for the car and another $6K-$8K for the restoration. I know that in order to do this, I will probably have to take out a loan and who knows what the interest rates will be by then (5.75% APR right now) It's pobably better to save for the car and that's what I will try to do for the next few years, but I really can't wait much longer and these cars are disapearing. I've been wanting to do this since I was 10 years old. At the very least, all I would want is a '72 Sat or RR with very solid metal (quarters in and out, trunk and floor, hood hinges) and no missing pieces. I don't want to make a trailer queen, I want to drive this one.

My goal is to recreate the RR my parents had when I was growing up (the original is LOOOONG GONE) It was a pretty basic RR - bench seats, 3 speed colum shift, tach, am radio, no stripes - nothing really extrodinary or fancy. In fact, it was made to look like a Satellite and a lot of people actually thought it was one at first glance. All you had to do was listen to it and you'd know this was NO Satellite. The hood and grill were also a dead givaways.

I'm kind of torn now about ripping up Satellite to make it a Road Runner - especially if that Satellite is orginial. Back in the day, my brother and I would always scoff at Satellites because we felt they weren't special like Road Runners. Now, especially after what happened to our RR - a numbers matching car that was ripped apart and eventually ruined by the guy who bought it - I don't think any original car, be it Road Runner or Satellite should be molested...

Again thanks for your input.

Jared

DixieSatellite
Satellite Sebring Plus (RP)

Post by DixieSatellite » Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:56 am

No problems, Jared, and good luck with your RR. I am sure you will get what you want. Keep the local Clubs in mind, though and be prepared to walk away.

Speaking of long-term projects (Year 12 here), here are some pics of my Satellite. These were taken in 2002, next year sees a whole lot more work getting done - body / paint (do something about that color scheme) and 400 rebuild.

Pictures Here

All the best

Ian B.

1971SSP
GTX (RS)

Post by 1971SSP » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:06 am

:evil: Hi....I think just trying to find a nice 72 grill (all threee pieces) will drive you crazy enough. I see some people clone the 72's, and leave the Satellite grill. I think cloning is fine, but in my opinion, do it right or it just looks stupid. To me nothing looks worse then a bad clone...some would be better off keeping their cars Satellite's.

I'm like Ian, love the original SSP. I live in metro Detroit, and there are tons more GTX's & RR's, then SSP's. I can't tell you how many times I was at a cruise or gas station listening to a couple people talk about my car. One will say, "oh, its a Roadrunner"...then they get closer and read the emblem "Satellite Sebring Plus...(pause with confused look)...whats that?"....then I get to explain what a SSP is.

But ever man has different tastes. If you do make a clone, do it right. And if your not heart set on making the car yourself, you can always buy a done clone, and save thousands of dollars.

One thing about the SSP that would have been cool, is if they had put a emblem or decal of some type on the car that said "SSP". I think SSP sounds pretty cool! I was thinking of getting personlized plates for my car, with that on it.

Good luck either way Jared.
Brian
1971 Satellite Sebring Plus

Iceman01

Post by Iceman01 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:24 am

Good thread, and right on target for me. I have a fairly unmolested 71 SSP that I'm trying to decide what to do with. Completely original except the 383-4bbl is now a 440+6.

If I restore it as a SSP, it won't be worth a ton, and even less without the original engine.

If I do a RR clone, I'll know it's not a real RR.

Am stuck trying to decide. Take a look on my website and tell me what you think...

http://web.acsalaska.net/~iceman/

RRUNR3

Post by RRUNR3 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:11 am

Iceman, I'll leave you my opinion. Keep the car as a Satellite Sebring Plus. There still a performance vehicle. Heck, the Road Runner was based off the Satellite. Have fun!

rr724ever

Post by rr724ever » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:29 am

[quote="Iceman01"]Good thread, and right on target for me. I have a fairly unmolested 71 SSP that I'm trying to decide what to do with. Completely original except the 383-4bbl is now a 440+6.

If I restore it as a SSP, it won't be worth a ton, and even less without the original engine.

If I do a RR clone, I'll know it's not a real RR.

Am stuck trying to decide. Take a look on my website and tell me what you think...

http://web.acsalaska.net/~iceman/[/quot

Iceman,

You might as well keep it a Satellite... Both Road Runners AND Satellites are disappearing and I think anybody who is going to buy or has bought either one should be focused on preserving and protecting rather than mutilating...

Besides... correct me if I'm wrong but after cosmetics and motor (which could be easily modified) the only REAL difference between a RR and a SAT is the front sway bar and the lower control arms.

Dave
Site Admin
My Cars: 71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)
71 Satellite Sebring Plus (383/2bbl/auto)

SSP or RR Clone?

Post by Dave » Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:18 pm

Iceman,

Welcome to the Nest!

I checked out your web site - VERY neat car you have there. My personal opinion is that you restore it as a SSP, not a Road Runner clone. If I had your car, I know that's exactly how I'd do it. You just don't see that many Satellites at the shows. Personally, I love the color combination on your car too, and the wheels you are perfect. I always felt the nostalgic slots really looked great on the 71-74's. Matter of fact, I have a set that I'll probably polish up and have to swap from time to time onto my Road Runner when she's done. A stock restoration on that car, even keepning the 440+6 will make an awsome ride. Hehehe... want to sell it? lol

Anyway, enough gushing about your car. I've just got a special place in my heart for double blue cars, and a factory big block SSP is something I do hope to own someday. Your car would look great as a "Day 2" resto, with the motor swap and those wheels.. :)
Dave
Founder - The Road Runner Nest

71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)
71 Satellite Sebring Plus (383/2bbl/auto)

6o4o
Road Runner (RM)

Re: SSP or RR Clone?

Post by 6o4o » Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:36 am

I wouldn't worry that much about the price... you always get cheap deals, just a matter of patience!
You got a wide choise of cars in the states, even here where you really got no choise you find great deals like a friend I know that bought a 4000 miles Superbird for around 15-20'000$ a few years ago or this other guy that bought 1 of 2 Shelby Mustangs in Switzerland in good condition for 10'000$... so just be patience and look around!
I bought my 72 RR GTX for 6000$ 1.5 years ago. I put now 1500$ into the engine & trans rebuild and another 6000$ into the body & interior work... the rest is still good enough for me... so it doesn't need 12'000$ to get an almost good RR...

cheers
72 RR GTX, No. matching 440, 68 727, body TX9, B5 interior, got doorsticker, but no buildsheet
72 Satellite 318-Auto, all No.matching, with buildsheet

Both cars tasting now swiss cheese ;)

71383bee

1st Post

Post by 71383bee » Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:30 pm

Hello this is my first post. I also have travelled the same road being discussed here. I have a plain jane 318 Satellite Sebring that has an excellent body and good interior. It is a no frills 318 with the only option being power steering. Currently I am rebuilding the 318 with an RB cam and 71 340 intake and TQ, but other than that it is as vanilla as it gets. I have toyed with the idea of making a bird out of it, but every time I drove it I realized that just as a satellite it had alot of class. Only true mopar folks know the difference between a bird and a satellite and there seems to be more of a distaste for cloning now a days.

For me I would keep it a Satellite. I am actually considering giving mine a 2-tone paint job like the SSP. Hey dixie, I like that 2 tone scheme and you have a very sharp looking car.

Ultimately it's your car and you can make a dodge out it if you wanted to, but I believe that sticking close to the original roots always bears the most fruit. Besides that it always is annoying to meet someone at a show that has some of the parts on his clone that you need for your original. Reminds me of a teenage punk who put an air grabber on his 74 318 charger! :cry:

jeff tatem

Post by jeff tatem » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:04 pm

hey 71383bee i had an airgrabber on my 73' 318 charger ! :roll: ......but i also had the 71'charger r/t that it came off of too :D he he he he he

jeff tatem

Post by jeff tatem » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:05 pm

oops .....sorry that was a ramcharger hood :oops:

JosephGiannini
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 roadrunner 340 4 barrel with 727

Hey Man

Post by JosephGiannini » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:02 am

I estimate that with in 3 years I should be in a position to get a Plymouth B-body. I want a Road Runner and don't want to settle for a Satellite *but*...

I also estimate that by then, and even now, it would be VERY expensive to buy a 72 Road Runner with a solid body... Correct me if I'm wrong but $12K would probably get you a RR with possible shabby body work, some missing and mutalated pieces and a questionable motor...However, $12K WILL get you a Satellite that's solid intact and in great shape... This leads me to my question(s)
Response:
You can get a nice satellite to convert for about 3-5k

1. How hard would it be to aquire the necessary pieces to convert a 72 Satellite into a 72 Road Runner?
Response:
Engine:340-440
Trans:Manual or auto 727 or 904
Exhaust:dual merged or seperated. headers or manifolds
Rear end: 7 3/4 to the big dana depending what you want
Center grill:pops up ever now and again on hemmings and ebay for about 500 with shipping
Hood: just a regular rr hood or air grabber regular about 400 air grabber complete about 2k finished
Interior:
Seats bench or bucket
If column shift will have to be converted to floor slapstick for auto hurst for manual.
unless rallye set up entire dash should go now there are two types of rallye set ups one with tachometer and one without depending what you want all b body guage clusters are interchangable. dash passenger side
simulated plasticized wood with roadrunner embossed name emblem with bird.
VIN: My dad used to pit for petty in the old days and met some pretty good old boys who could fix up crashes pretty good.
some crashes where so bad the vin and tags where trashed so what you could do is contact the manufacturer at the time for new ones. however
this no longer exists since the vehicles are no longer made however
galen govier should be able to tell you where to get one.
However depending on the specific year and month of the vehicle sometimes the factory mad emistakes and gave the same VIN code for GTX Roadrunner and Satellite. Learned this from insurance companies.

Anyway, you probably would have a hard time finding the interior pieces like the dash passenger side wood panel, the ralley gauge cluster (if the Sat has the other one) and a RR steering wheel...

Am I wrong about this?

Does anybody make reproductions of any of the cosmetic 72 Road Runner pieces? (besides the RR decals)
Response:
www.yearone.com
www.paddockparts.com

I would have a difficult time parting out a beat-up RR to restore a Satellite - that has always happened the other way around.
Also you can use a lot of gtx parts as well of the same year range

Thanks for your help.