Body Mods ? Quarter panel scoops ?

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

rustytoolss
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: None at this time. but looking for one.

Body Mods ? Quarter panel scoops ?

Post by rustytoolss » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:02 pm

Has anyone done/seen any 71/74 RR/GTX/SAT that has had some type of body side quarter panel scoops installed. Just an idea that is floating around in my head...Don't hate me ! :rant: any pics ????
Whats your thought on this ? I'm by no way a purist. Thinking along the lines of "what the car might have looked like" as a plymouth design concept..something that "might have gone into production ! 8) Nothing that was just showcar/concept car strange/weird . Other mopars had body side scoops, and looked fine. Why not a 71/74 RR ???

Diriccatiticka
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Plymouth Roadrunner

Re: Body Mods ? Quarter panel scoops ?

Post by Diriccatiticka » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:52 am

I'd have to see some examples, but I'd think by design they're passable.

When I bought my car I didn't have any external badging or stripes. The rear quarter on these things are huge... And when they're naked, they really look like something is missing (to me). I think if you did something subtle, like what the '71 Challengers had, it would look mighty cool!
'72 Road Runner
Currently Engineering New Setup! 8)

rradar71
GTX (RS)

Post by rradar71 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:57 am

Couldn't figure out how to paste it, but search picture thread on here (71-74 roadrunner picture thread, page 4 a gray colored car,is really interesting looking.

rustytoolss
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by rustytoolss » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:57 am

Diriccatiticka wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:52 am
I'd have to see some examples, but I'd think by design they're passable.

When I bought my car I didn't have any external badging or stripes. The rear quarter on these things are huge... And when they're naked, they really look like something is missing (to me). I think if you did something subtle, like what the '71 Challengers had, it would look mighty cool!
Thats what I was thinking also. I would perfer using a chrysler part. But would not rule out a good looking aftermarket scoop. But would try to avoid a ford/chevy item.
Would also think about going with a rear spoiler instead of the "Go Wing". But would still want it to be a mopar item. Although I have seen some 71 RRs with a 69 camaro rear spoiler that looked pretty good.
Last edited by rustytoolss on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rustytoolss
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by rustytoolss » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:02 am

rradar71 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:57 am
Couldn't figure out how to paste it, but search picture thread on here (71-74 roadrunner picture thread, page 4 a gray colored car,is really interesting looking.
Looked at that gray car photo. Not quite what I was thinking of.Those look more like vents. And less like scoops. But you get the idea. Those 71 Challenger scoops might be a good choice.

rustytoolss
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by rustytoolss » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:16 pm

Anyone else got any opinions about any non stock body mods. That look like something that could have been offered as an factory option ? (not some fullrace hood scoop/ or pro mod wing/ or for that matter turning a 71-74 into a superbird.)

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:00 am

The gray car has quarter gills based on a set of 1968 Plymouth design studio photos I have. They were actually considering them for the production cars at that point (the whole car design is based on a couple different design studio mockups).
The same husband and wife team also built the orange 71 superbird also in that same photo thread (same page).
You can see all their work here
http://71wingcars.com/
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

rustytoolss
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by rustytoolss » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:07 am

Wow...They have some nice cars. And have no problem doing body mods. 8)

rogerlee
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 1973 road runner

Post by rogerlee » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:54 am

nobody should hate u, its your car, do what makes u happy!, I think that would look pretty cool, I always wondered why the 73 or 74 didn't have some type of louvers on the doors or fenders, I know we got 2 huge ones on the hood, but was thinking more on the lines of the cuda gills,,(I know this is a bird, and not a fish lol), but buick years back used to have holes in the sides of their fenders and hoods and they sure aint no fish lol

rustytoolss
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by rustytoolss » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:50 am

Thanks for the positive input. A lot of people think it's a mortal sin, to change anything. I'm not talking about making mods that look foolish. Just something at might have been part of a special production model. Like a Road Runner RTS edition (Rapid Transit System). Who knows, that may have been a real idea...long ago.

Diriccatiticka
GTX (RS)

Post by Diriccatiticka » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:03 pm

Same boat here. I don't really like the idea of really cutting up my car, but for maximum performance and execution of it, I'm gonna have to do some surgery. So tasteful modifications are key. I wanna try to make it look like it came with that kinda stuff from the factory!
'72 Road Runner

rustytoolss
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by rustytoolss » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:55 pm

Diriccatiticka wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:03 pm
Same boat here. I don't really like the idea of really cutting up my car, but for maximum performance and execution of it, I'm gonna have to do some surgery. So tasteful modifications are key. I wanna try to make it look like it came with that kinda stuff from the factory!
Post pictures of your body mods...for inspiration 8)

Diriccatiticka
GTX (RS)

Post by Diriccatiticka » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:38 pm

I would, but you'd be sorely disappointed as...I don't have any yet! Car is apart, but I'm currently in the works. I'll be delighted to share, but I'll need a year or two! :D
'72 Road Runner

rustytoolss
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by rustytoolss » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:07 am

when you get them, send them. I'm not going anywhere soon. Neither is my project. :(

Diriccatiticka
GTX (RS)

Post by Diriccatiticka » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:10 pm

Mine's slow rolling, too. That's the challenge. I'll be here until they shut the lights off...So, as long as we finish before then! :D
'72 Road Runner