Slammed/lowered 71/72 RR pictures and info ?

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Re: Slammed/lowered 71/72 RR pictures and info ?

Post by road chicken » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:37 pm

The rear is pretty simple - just flip the front mount for a 2" drop. Check the clearances and adjust the driveshaft angles, ( if needed) and you should be good to go. I would loosen the front eye bolt and re-tighten it to specs once it has the weight on it at the new ride height.

I dropped mine 3" in the front with just the t-bars, ( I did install bigger 1" bars though) and a Magnum Force tubular upper control arms. No rear drop. With 255/60/15's on 15x8 "0" offset rims ( 27" OD) on all four corners. It has a nice rake, but the front tires just catch the wheel well trim if I'm turning and it bounces. I also have the front tires -1 degree camber - which is a touch too much so I will have to lift it 1" when I realign it to -0.5 degrees camber or it will hit the fender lip all the time. Just FYI so you can figure with a thinner tire or different offset it shouldn't be an issue.
I would strongly suggest a good aftermarket upper control arm if it is possible in your build. They got +7 degrees caster on my alignment and the handling difference on the highway , especially at high-speed is, phenomenal. If you've been above 100 + for any amount of time you know the "float" and white knuckle grip it can produce. That nose down, extra caster, and front lip spoiler make it a whole new car up there.
No problems with driveways or bumps unless they are really acute and then I try to "crab" them as much as possible. I figure if I can stand a pack of cigarettes under everything I'm reasonably safe. Good luck!
4th generation B bodys- there is no substitute.
68 383, Street Demon 750, RPM top end,484/284/108 poo poo cam "-5 spd 4:10 SG, 4whl disk, Helwig Anti-Sway, Poly bushings,Firm Feel Box, HD Linkage, 1" t-bars, 7 leafs Springs

Diriccatiticka
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Plymouth Roadrunner

Post by Diriccatiticka » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:30 pm

I'm actually looking into new upper control arms to increase caster for those alignment / stability reasons. Any brands you recommend or don't recommend? I don't personally know anyone running them, but I'm looking for something USA made and tough enough to handle the abuse.
'72 Road Runner
Currently Engineering New Setup! 8)

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Post by road chicken » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:23 pm

As I mentioned, I have the Magnum Force unit mostly because they were the only ones making it at the time. It has proven to be trouble free and served me well for 25 years and @ 40,000 miles. It was one of the few exceptions to the mantra of using factory parts ( from any year or car)to build the best car I could. The factory arms just couldn't do the job. I would have to do some shopping now. Certain Magnum Force and QA-1 would be at the top of the list.

ADDED: I just went "Shopping" and PST has them also. They are all close in price point for the basic- nonadjustable arms. One thing I did see is that Magnum Force uses Delrin bushings now instead of the poly units. I would hesitate on that because while it may be ok fora race car, ( and that is what Mag Force does), delrin doesn't give and could pound out of shape on a street car. I can't say that it would but I would check and see how others have faired using delrin bushings first.
4th generation B bodys- there is no substitute.
68 383, Street Demon 750, RPM top end,484/284/108 poo poo cam "-5 spd 4:10 SG, 4whl disk, Helwig Anti-Sway, Poly bushings,Firm Feel Box, HD Linkage, 1" t-bars, 7 leafs Springs

Diriccatiticka
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Plymouth Roadrunner

Post by Diriccatiticka » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:14 am

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I know I don't put that many miles on my car, but I like the idea of poly bushings for street use. I wanted to keep my parts matching, but I'm still sifting and deciding. So far I like PST's lower control arm overhaul kit, adjustable strut bars (steel tubing, QA1's are aluminum), and QA1's upper control arms. All of them claim to work with the factory K / steering.

Thanks for the advice!
'72 Road Runner
Currently Engineering New Setup! 8)