sdweatherman
Site Admin
My Cars: 1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1974 KB5 Plymouth Road Runner GTX Dealer Announcement car

Re: Keisler 5 speed conversion

Post by sdweatherman » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:29 am

Hey road chicken - which badlands are you heading to? The SD ones or the ND ones?
1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Post by road chicken » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:39 am

sdweatherman wrote:Hey road chicken - which badlands are you heading to? The SD ones or the ND ones?

South Dakota. Figured I take a long weekend and see the sights and visit someof the N.A. museums and sites.
4th generation B bodys- there is no substitute.
68 383, Street Demon 750, RPM top end,484/284/108 poo poo cam "-5 spd 4:10 SG, 4whl disk, Helwig Anti-Sway, Poly bushings,Firm Feel Box, HD Linkage, 1" t-bars, 7 leafs Springs

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Post by road chicken » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:00 pm

Finally, the 5 speed is working as it should, with the 4.10s it is much more fun to drive.. Got a vibration in the driveshaft I. Need to hunt down yet, but then I can test the speed r ating. On the tires.
68 383, Street Demon 750, RPM top end,484/284/108 poo poo cam "-5 spd 4:10 SG, 4whl disk, Helwig Anti-Sway, Poly bushings,Firm Feel Box, HD Linkage, 1" t-bars, 7 leafs Springs

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Post by road chicken » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:50 am

Well, took the driveline angles and no wonder there is a vibration. The angles are at 3 degrees reversed from what they should be....the drive shaft goes UP TO THE REAR END n. ot down like it should. So I guess I will jack the trans up as far as I can without cutting the t-bar cross member, ( because I would have to do that to get the angles right), shim the axle to get it as good as I can. Then, I'm probabbly going to order a truck load of the juiciest horse manure I can fin d and have it delivered to the front door of Keisler Engineering. I hope I never run across that boy Shafi, but I will make it a point to embarassess his ass at any trade show the appear at in the area.

471Magnum
GTX (RS)

Post by 471Magnum » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:06 pm

Pretty typical with that conversion.

Get everything in phase and your pinion angle is NFG. Try to raise the transmission tail and you hit the X-member.

I did a lot of shimming on my 69 Charger trying to find the perfect compromise. I never could get rid of the harmonic vibration that kicked in around 80.
-Jim
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ULTIMATE set of tools... I can fix it."

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Post by road chicken » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:20 pm

Those angles are picky because , in order for them to cancel the vibration, they have to be equal but opposite. I will try, but after looking over a bunch of different boards and makes and models there is a saying that keeps coming to mind....Class Action lawsuit. :mad:

Doright
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 72 SE sun roof charger
73 RR clone project
73 RR clone New hemi conversion
57 Chrysler New Yorker 2 dr hemi car
78 TA
a few more but Sold the good ones

Post by Doright » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:50 am

road chicken wrote:Those angles are picky because , in order for them to cancel the vibration, they have to be equal but opposite. I will try, but after looking over a bunch of different boards and makes and models there is a saying that keeps coming to mind....Class Action lawsuit. :mad:

Is the Car destroyed now BEYOND turning back to Original?

BUT THE MAGAZINE ARTICLE says its such a great thing to do to my car?? and its easy to install any one with average skills and basic tools can do the install themselves in an afternoon AND EVERY ONE ON THE FORUMS SAYS ITS SUCH A GREAT THING TO DO to their cars every one is doing it! increases gas mileage cruising rpms dropped.... bla bla bla

All I hear is POS wont shift hard fast bad vibrations & :help: all I can say is don't believe every thing you read or hear in this business there is no consumer complaints in High performance or warranty's! and the rich get richer.

Want something that really works?????? keep your current Transmission auto or 4 speed and install an OVERDRIVE they really do work well and have been around forever NO their not cheap $2500 range installed perhaps thats why the CHEAP tranny swap is around instead of the right way to do it?
Indeed a 5 speed sounds cool, But can it really take all the Torq and abuse that a really well built bad ass 440 can take and dish out???? I DONT THINK SOO

71bird
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 69 Coronet 4 door.71 Road Runner. 71Dodge Tradesman 100 Van. 75 Dodge Dart. 95 Dodge Neon.

Post by 71bird » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:51 am

Ya'll do know he has filed for chapter 7 don't you?
71 Road Runner - J68

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Post by road chicken » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:55 pm

DoRight: The car could be put back to original, but I'm so far into it the cost to make the modification to the cross-member is the shortest route now. But YES, had I known then, my ass would have been over to Gear Vendors in a second.
I have the shifting issue handled,( by replacing the internals that needed it- and it shifts at 6500 without issue ( 383 car), so now it is just lifting the rear mount another inch so the angles are correct. The vibration isn't terrible, but it does need to be fixed, and that will do it. It does do 140 though, and should hit 160 with the new top end / cam package on the bench, Edelbrock Performer RPM, intake, Heads and an 800 cfm AVS. :) 484 purpleshaft 108. ( still debating that cam).
I would be really pissed if this was a pristine car, but I did roll it back in 86 and made some mistakes in the body work. I have this all Ass backwards anyway. I did a quick fix on the body and never got back to it. So now, all the the mechanicals are basically done and I need to do the body the right way. Which includes a new roof, with the factory power sunroof, and a complete left side quarter panel. I'll do the cross member modification then- which won't be noticeable under the carpet- or preclude someone from putting a 883/727/ or and OD 518/ 46RE in. In fact, I think you have to clearance the same place for a OD automatic anyway.
NO matter I will have the car till I'm dead, and the 5 speed, ( when properly done), is a blast to drive. I have 4:10s out back and the acceleration from a stop is just ridiculous fun, and to be able to wind it out on the highway is great. Too bad Shafty couldn't be honest and say up front these were the mods that needed to be done, and put the parts in it to make it run the way it should. So no tears hearing he's in chapter 7, should be cell block 7 for all the hassle he's caused. I also think the magazine writers who balleyhooed this swap should be spanked and made to drive Yugo's and Ladas for life.

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Post by road chicken » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:57 pm

71bird wrote:Ya'll do know he has filed for chapter 7 don't you?
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :beer:

GTXS
Satellite Sebring Plus (RP)
My Cars: 1972 Sebring Plus

Post by GTXS » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:48 pm

To correct the driveline angle on my jeep Cherokee after I lifted it I installed degree shims between the springs and the mounts. I think this might be a very cost effective way to correct the drive line vibes.

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Post by road chicken » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:11 am

That is some of it. I played with the pinion angle and optimized it so it only vibrates under light/ neutral loading, but from the spec's and what the car is telling me, the trans output needs to move up. The driveshaft downward angle needs to be 1.2 to 3 degrees and it is only at 0.7 with the pinion at -1 from what the factory built.
The other thing is you can see the air grabber base plate is angled back to where it doesn't seal to the hood and the exhaust pipes are angled down more than they were with the 4 speed. 1 inch up on the tailshaft and all that goes back to where it should be.

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Post by road chicken » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:33 pm

Finally a solution that doesn't require cutting the floor boards, albeit pricey. AND BEWARE- The company that took over Shaftme's work STILL won't tell you it doesn't fit PROPERLY! You will need a driveshaft like this to make the Tremec work in our cars.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hot-rod- ... vibration/

sogtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 hemi gtx , 69 1/2 bee, 69 rag RR, 74 chally 4 speed, 67 dodge stepside, 71/2 satellite resto mod track car ( under construction) , ?

Post by sogtx » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:37 am

Junky tranny , but ingenious fix !

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Post by road chicken » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:50 pm

Yeah the TKO , even with the refinements i added , isn't an 883. THe only real complaint of the trans now is I HATE having to Porsche shift the thing but it's what i got and was available at the time. It would have been nice have the 883 conversion then. Still having 5 is a huge difference.