Fiberglass bumper

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

72sat
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 72 Satelite

Fiberglass bumper

Post by 72sat » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:14 am

Still trying to figure out what's the best way to reproduce(fiberglass, carbon fiber) this part. 71-72 front bumper have tooling marks in the bumper. Looks like the bumper was clamped some kind of way while it was being formed. They look like ripples in the metal. Upper part of bumper has a indentation across the whole front. Lower portion has indentations too. I'm trying to see from you guys (potential customers) what's more important to you. An authentic looking part; with tooling inperfection. Or a pristine part. I'm gearing up to start producing this and I need to know what you think. Right now I'm repairing my bumper (dents & dings), should I go ahead & fix the imperfections too?

sdweatherman
Site Admin
My Cars: 1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1974 KB5 Plymouth Road Runner GTX Dealer Announcement car

Re: Fiberglass bumper

Post by sdweatherman » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:58 am

Since you are not trying to make an authentic reproduction part in steel, you could do away with any imperfections that the original bumpers had. Your customer will likely be someone that is working on a custom or resto-mod style car instead of a faithful restoration, so fit and finish would be more important than authenticity in your application. Just my 2c - good luck!
1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof

moparite
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Road Runner 4speed FJ6 air grabber car. And yes i have the
build sheet to prove it. NO IT'S NOT FOR SALE!

Post by moparite » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:07 am

I believe someone makes a fiberglass bumper. Any good chrome shop will take out any imperfections prior to final chrome. Production bumpers where just that, "production" Looks good but not perfect. Same as paint, it wasn't wet sanded and polished when it left the factory. It depends on what kind of job you plan on doing, !00% factory stock or custom. As for me i want it to look perfect(no lines, imperfections).

71bird
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 69 Coronet 4 door.71 Road Runner. 71Dodge Tradesman 100 Van. 75 Dodge Dart. 95 Dodge Neon.

Post by 71bird » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:08 pm

I don't think that crease in the top of the bumper is from tooling, it's called a character line.
71 Road Runner - J68

moparite
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Road Runner 4speed FJ6 air grabber car. And yes i have the
build sheet to prove it. NO IT'S NOT FOR SALE!

Post by moparite » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:51 am

Pics would help!