My car resto

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

rr6pak
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Tor-Red RR

My car resto

Post by rr6pak » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:30 pm

Ok guys/gals. I think it's about time to consider posting my resto of my car. It's been completely torn down, and now getting to the point of firing the motor off and bring life to it for the first time in 25+ years. It's been in my family for 36 years. I have a ton of pictures of before, during, after the tear down and putting it back together. Some members probably seen some here and there. My big task is resizing the pictures I have to fit and be accepted to post here. I just can't get the width and height right for the forum to accept it. Then when I start to play around with it and can't get it right, I loose interest. Anyone know of a quick and easy way?

Thanks

71_bronze_gtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 GTX
72 cuda repli-mod

Re: My car resto

Post by 71_bronze_gtx » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:01 pm

I use a freeware program called Irfanview aka I-view, which is a picture manipulation program. It's crashproof and does not worm its way into Windows.

http://www.irfanview.com/

You can download and install it from their site. If you choose to do this, when you run the program, one of the main menu items at the top will be "IMAGE". Click that, and one of the dropdown choices is "Resize/Resample".

Select "Percentage of original" AND "Preserve aspect ratio". When you enter a percentage for width, the same percentage shows for height, and above you'll see the actual pixel counts. Then you can keep tweeking the percentage to get the pixel counts below the site limits.

After you master this, then you'll be ready for the big one - under "file" at the top, select "Batch Conversion/Rename" This will allow you to resize, rename, and relocate large groups of pix all at the same time, provided they are all the same size to start with. It may be a little confusing at first. PM me if you get stuck.

rr6pak
GTX (RS)

Post by rr6pak » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:36 am

That sounds good but a couple of things. First, I don't know what the limit is here for the site. Second, I like the option of resizing a large batch of photos all at once but again, don't know what the size limit is here. I'd like all of the pictures to be the same size to post. Some pictures, I don't know what the size is at the start, so I don't want some to be too large, some not large enuf. Trying to re-size pictures to post can be a PIA. Wish these sites can do it automatically for you when you want to post a picture. I can loose interest in posting pictures when you have to keep altering the sizes just to post it. :(

71_bronze_gtx
GTX (RS)
72 cuda repli-mod

Post by 71_bronze_gtx » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:35 am

The limit is 1024 pixels wide and/or 768 pixels high. If either is over, you'll get a message from this site stating this, and the actual size of the pic you're trying to attach when you click on "Add The File"

rr6pak
GTX (RS)

Post by rr6pak » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:46 am

Thanks for the info. Again, I'll loose interest real fast if I have to re-size everything and a lot of times, when you re-size, it asks if you want to save the changes of the original. No, I don't want to.

71_bronze_gtx
GTX (RS)
72 cuda repli-mod

Post by 71_bronze_gtx » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:13 pm

what I do is:

1. Put all the pix you want to resize in one folder.
2. Inside that folder, create a new folder and name it "reduced" or "Resized" or somesuch.
3. When you batch resize all the photos in the folder for 1. above, use the "Reduced" folder as the destination folder. Click on "use this directory as output", then find and select your "reduced" folder. That way, you won't be trying to put two pix with the same file name in the same folder.

4. It is also possible to generate new file names for the reduced pix. In the file name box, enter a name for the series of pix. When the batch resize is performed, it will use that name and add number index 1 - however many you have to the end of the file name. If you do this, you don't have to use a separate folder, but I do anyway.

rr6pak
GTX (RS)

Post by rr6pak » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:40 pm

I'm doing as suggested, with that program. I also have the same posting over on FBBO. Going to try to keep up on both with everything to keep both sites updated so bear with me. UGH! I'm getting irritated at doing this!! :mad:

71_bronze_gtx
GTX (RS)
72 cuda repli-mod

Post by 71_bronze_gtx » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:30 pm

After you play with it a bit, you'll get the hang of it, whatever you use.

I'm not sure how much picture posting the Nest can handle each month in terms of data "bandwidth". I posed that question to the administrators in a post a couple months ago, but got no answer. I have a gazillion pix of the work I've been doing replacing quarters and rocker skins and patching rusty areas along the way. The last time I started slamming pics onto the site it crashed for the remainder of the month or so. Message came up something like "Bandwidth Exceeded".

The alternative is to post your pix to Photobucket or the likes, and just post a link to your pix on this site. Pain in the hind.

moparite
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Road Runner 4speed FJ6 air grabber car. And yes i have the
build sheet to prove it. NO IT'S NOT FOR SALE!

Post by moparite » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:16 am

The alternative is to post your pix to Photobucket or the likes, and just post a link to your pix on this site.
This! You can use paint to cut the size down also. I think it's easier than IrfanView.

71Beeper
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Satellite

Post by 71Beeper » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:31 am

Look at all the posts I've been adding on my "working on the Clone runner" thread.....I say go for it, the more pics and info on restoration of these B-bodies the better for the rest of the members.

71_bronze_gtx
GTX (RS)
72 cuda repli-mod

Post by 71_bronze_gtx » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:39 pm

Paint is good for one at a time, but you can't do 20 or 30 all at once.

rr6pak
GTX (RS)

Post by rr6pak » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:22 am

Picture posting has been an issue I think for a while. Wish it would be easier or some program to help assist someone (user friendly) to post. I'd like to post pictures here but that is a issue for me at least. I just get irritated. I'm trying though. I have soooo many pictures to post

rr6pak
GTX (RS)

Post by rr6pak » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:09 pm

Got it now!!! WHOOOP, WHOOOP :D

71Beeper
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Satellite

Post by 71Beeper » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:16 pm

What I do to resize pictures - I use a program on my PC called Microsoft Office Picture Manager.
I open the photo up in there and then resize it to 800 x 600 pixels and then re save it.
Then add the pic's when I'm posting.