old vintage pics

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

1971SSP
GTX (RS)

old vintage pics

Post by 1971SSP » Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:45 am

Hi...Geez, I had to blow the dust off the web page....its late at night, my brain is tired, so with the lack of oxygen, I thought about this web site, lol.

I own 71 Satellite Sebring Plus. I purchased the car in 2000 from the original owner in Arizona. Long story short, she sent me some old pics of the car when it was a "baby"...one from 1971, when the car was just a MONTH OLD!!! Its parked in a lot over looking a beach in California...way cool. There are about 7 other pics, one when the original owner was married (1980) and the car is decorated. Another with the car pulling a boat (it came with a tow package).

I hope the word gets around the site is moving along....people just have to find out.

I have put new bumpers, a vinyl top, and some other small things on my car this summer.
Brian
1971 Satellite Sebring Plus

Dave
Site Admin
My Cars: 71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)
71 Satellite Sebring Plus (383/2bbl/auto)

Sounds great... good progress!

Post by Dave » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:07 am

Brian,

Nice to see ya again! Your car looks like it is coming along quite well. That is such a neat car. Have you had the opportunity to check out the 71 Satelite Sebring Plus survivor that was making the rounds this year? It's an FE5 car as well, but with a white interior. Very striking color combo, and on a survivor to boot!

Definately keep us posted on your progress with it!
Dave
Founder - The Road Runner Nest

71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)
71 Satellite Sebring Plus (383/2bbl/auto)

DixieSatellite
Satellite Sebring Plus (RP)

Post by DixieSatellite » Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:19 am

Hi,

I have a solid 98% rust free numbers matching '72 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus 400-4BBL w/ Slapstik, which I have owned since 1991. It is a solid Southern car that I picked up in TN and drove coast to coast twice and then drove while at school in Phoenix, AZ. The car was then driven back to TN and stored.

Brian 1971SSP - small world. I just checked out your site - your SSP looks great. I am not going to make it back to the US this year :( , so there will not be any work on my SSP this year. I usually try to spend a week or two working on the Satellite when visiting the in-laws and then cover the car up again. The car was put away again in 2002.

In 2002 the SSP got carb / radiator work and new 15 x 7 Magnum 500s from Mustangs Unlimited (I got tired of getting outbid on Ebay) w/ Firestone Firehawks. I also gave the car a real good wash and wax and she cleaned up very well considering the dust that usually covers it.
Brakes / shocks / booster / twin system were done in 2001 and spent 2002 doing something visual (mostly to keep my interest going). The Magnum 500s changed the entire character of the car. I took some pics, but it had the old Rallyes in the trunk (I took them out before I left TN). The Magnums don't have Center caps, but that is the addition I will make this year to be put on at a later date .

I have never really liked the original paint scheme, but with the Magnums the car looked so good that I am tempted to keep it factory original and just get the bodyshop to cut out the little rust that the car has and redo the paintwork / Argent Silver cutouts. Although there is nothing wrong with it, the white body / white vinyl roof / white buckets and Argent silver cutouts are a little too much for my liking. I may still redo the car with a black roof and Ermine / Spinnaker White body - I am still out on that one (I don't have the facilities / time at the moment for a full body color change).

The fender tag on this '72 SSP says that the car is a 2-BBL, but the car came with a factory 4-BBL TQ - I removed the original one when it died on me in '91 and it had not been off the car since it was new. But I have heard that this kind of thing was not uncommon with Mopars, or was possibly a dealer refit.

In 2004 the original 400 will come out for a rebuild to Road Runner spec. by The Speedshop in Knoxville. It is probably overdue - the car only had 94K original miles, but the engine is tired (burnt valves and worn cam) making current performance less than exciting, so a full rebuild of the original motor is needed. After that, the bodywork (which is very solid) will receive attention and then the interior etc.

Slowly it is coming together again after 12 years, but it is very hard to do from afar. The car is in a controlled environment and has been for 12 years, and gets started / driven every 2 weeks. I plan to drive it to LA in 2005 so I need to speed things up a bit.

All the best,

Ian Bartlett
Nagasaki, Japan
'72 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus 400-4BBL

1971SSP
GTX (RS)

Dave/Ian

Post by 1971SSP » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:17 am

Hi Dave & Ian

Great to be back Dave. I have to remember to keep checking the site out. I'll send myself a e-mail so I do. NO, I haven't seen the FE5 (my color) Satellite making the rounds, but I would have loved to. The white interior on the 71-74 b-body cars looks AWESOME when its in nice shape.

Ian, I remember your car. I think you told me you drove it across the country on two seperate occassions.....every guys dream on this board! I hope you can soon get behind the wheel & take it for a spin. Keep the car white, you don't see many white b-body cars.

Brian
Brian
1971 Satellite Sebring Plus