New here

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

moparite
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Road Runner 4speed FJ6 air grabber car. And yes i have the
build sheet to prove it. NO IT'S NOT FOR SALE!

Re: New here

Post by moparite » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:48 pm

I made up one that mounts to the k frame bolts, Just 1/4 X 2 flat stock bent to fit with an I beam and two casters welded to it. You can buy similar ones.

http://autotwirler.com/product/pro-body-cart/

71_bronze_gtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 GTX
72 cuda repli-mod

Post by 71_bronze_gtx » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:16 pm

NOT SURE WHY THIS POSTED WHILE I WAS STILL TYPING.............

A word about 727 mods. It's very popular to add a "shift kit" to stiffen up the shifts. However, the shift point calibration, which is custom to each trans based on the engine power, rear end gearing, and car weight, goes right out the window. A good transmission man can recalibrate it, but its very time consuming, and hence expensive. So the trans may upshift too early or too late, and may not downshift when you think it should. If you do this, make sure to tell the trans guy to keep the original valve body and all related parts for you. It can then be returned to original.

71_bronze_gtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 GTX
72 cuda repli-mod

Post by 71_bronze_gtx » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:19 pm

NOT SURE WHY THIS POSTED WHILE I WAS STILL TYPING.............DUH

I'd suggest you subscribe to Mopar Muscle and / or Mopar Action magazines. Lots of purveyors of suspension systems and many other goodies for new and classic Mopars. Some good "how to" articles from time to time as well.

For my 2 cents, if I were going to drop a late model Hemi into a '73, and wanted an automatic, I would not mate it up to a 727 unless I had no other choice. I'd go for the new trans that was with the engine. Much better performance with 5 or 6 gears. Alternately, an earlier A518 (non-electronic ), or a Kiesler, which are both 4 speed with fairly tall overdrives. Of course these choices require some mods for the shifter and tunnel clearance. Don't get me wrong, the 727 was a great trans for it's day, and about as bulletproof as it could be. It's just nice to have more gears for performance and economy.
A word about 727 mods. It's very popular to add a "shift kit" to stiffen up the shifts. However, the shift point calibration, which is custom to each trans based on the engine power, rear end gearing, and car weight, goes right out the window. A good transmission man can recalibrate it, but its very time consuming, and hence expensive. So the trans may upshift too early or too late, and may not downshift when you think it should. If you do this, make sure to tell the trans guy to keep the original valve body and all related parts for you. It can then be returned to original.

73'BIRD
Satellite Sebring (RH)
My Cars: 1973 Roadrunner, 1974 Satellite

Post by 73'BIRD » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:32 am

I dont have a transmission anyway so I would go with the trans that mates with that engine.

73'BIRD
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Post by 73'BIRD » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:05 am

Here are some quick pics of my shell
Attachments
'73Roadrunner.jpg
'73Roadrunner(2).jpg
'73Roadrunner(3).jpg

rr6pak
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Tor-Red RR

Post by rr6pak » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:43 am

Now that you're at that point, what's next? Sandblasting? So far so good

73'BIRD
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Post by 73'BIRD » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:08 pm

rr6pak wrote:Now that you're at that point, what's next? Sandblasting? So far so good

Ill probably start pulling the dents out of it and then waterblast it