'71 Color Suggestions for Rear Axle, Trans, Gas Tank, etc...

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

omarofuae
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 71 Plymouth Roadrunner

'71 Color Suggestions for Rear Axle, Trans, Gas Tank, etc...

Post by omarofuae » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:44 pm

Hello!

So I was reading another thread on the forum where someone was asking about the correct colors for the parts listed in the title. I am thinking of going in a different direction and I was hoping to get some input.

First off, the body color is a very dark purple. My engine color is Chrysler blue (the bright one). My engine accessories (valve covers, timing belt cover, etc.) are all black. The engine bay is currently being repainted to match the body. My undercarriage will have undercoating as a top layer to a POR15'd and primer layer. My interior is lined with POR15, primer, and topped with flat rubberized coating and insulation. Almost everything in the interior is either black (seats, dash, carpet, headliner), powder blue (seat stitching, buttons, knobs), or a shiny metal of some sort (bezzels, door knobs, emblems, etc).

Here is what I was thinking. I was thinking of painting the transmission and gas tank chassis black, just like the K-Member and the rest of the power train parts (excluding the engine) to keep the dirt and grime off. Finally, I was thinking of painting the suspension parts and the rear axle orange (like the Roadrunner's legs). Has anyone tried going the cartoonish route with their bird? What kinds of results did they have?

If anyone has some other suggestions, please suggest away!

moparite
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Road Runner 4speed FJ6 air grabber car. And yes i have the
build sheet to prove it. NO IT'S NOT FOR SALE!

Re: '71 Color Suggestions for Rear Axle, Trans, Gas Tank, et

Post by moparite » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:09 am

You could dress up the engine by using a chrome timing chain cover and something other than the stamped steel valve covers. The cast aluminum mickey thompson or mopar performance covers look good. You could paint them same as the engine color with the brushed fins. Painting the undercarriage parts something other than some form of black looks out of place. Unless it's a only a show piece that never sees the road and has the same quality paint finish(high gloss/metallic etc...) as the body. Not sure what paint you are using but por15 is mainly a rust converter. If you are taking it down to bare metal i would suggest a good epoxy primer. That's my opinion. :)

asuperdry
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 RH23

Re: '71 Color Suggestions for Rear Axle, Trans, Gas Tank, et

Post by asuperdry » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:51 pm

Back in the day I remember seeing one that had the valve covers and oil pan painted the same color as the car.