Stuck on car history, Any advice?

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

unionjack1940
Satellite Sebring (RH)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Road Runner

Stuck on car history, Any advice?

Post by unionjack1940 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:23 pm

So, I managed to trace my car's history back to the second owner according to recent vehicle reports. However, he cannot remember the name of the person he bought the car from. I have a title number for this mystery owner, but no name due to the law restricting release of personal information. How can I go about decoding my car's past? At this point, the farthest I have gotten is a title number for a John Doe in Grand Rapids, MI. What should I do?
Plymouth Makes It

moparite
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Road Runner 4speed FJ6 air grabber car. And yes i have the
build sheet to prove it. NO IT'S NOT FOR SALE!

Re: Stuck on car history, Any advice?

Post by moparite » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:38 am

Where did you get the current info from? Depending on the state you live in you may try the dmv.

unionjack1940
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Post by unionjack1940 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:10 pm

got it from background information websites and long nights of research. Need this last piece of the puzzle.
Plymouth Makes It

phatdak18
Road Runner (RM)
My Cars: 72 Plymouth Roadrunner

Post by phatdak18 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:14 pm

This may have already been asked over the years but...

How do you accurately trace VIN history?

Ive only recently sparked an intrest in know more about my vehicles history. I understand this is a vauge question, so i hoping maybe someone can point me in the right direction. Help me get started. My car was nowhere near original when i bought it and certainly nothing special. But i still think it might be cool to know more about it and perhaps eventually talk to previous owners.
MOPAR OR NO CAR!!!

unionjack1940
Satellite Sebring (RH)

Post by unionjack1940 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:35 pm

Start with the VIN and fender tag if you have it as well as the person you bought it from. With the vin and fender tag you can know where the car was assembled. From the person you brought it from, you can go back through owners unless you get stuck like me.
Plymouth Makes It

rradar71
GTX (RS)

Post by rradar71 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:52 pm

Since I bought my car new, history of it is pretty easy. One pretty cool thing that happened two years ago, I was traveling in Tennessee and met the son of the dealership owner of where I bought the car.

71bird
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 69 Coronet 4 door.71 Road Runner. 71Dodge Tradesman 100 Van. 75 Dodge Dart. 95 Dodge Neon.

Post by 71bird » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:38 pm

Where did you get it?
71 Road Runner - J68

rradar71
GTX (RS)

Post by rradar71 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:47 pm

new car 001.jpg
St.augustine, Fl. We were just passing through Tn., had a conversation with this guy, one thing led to another and discovered it.
Recently, I thought about trying to find the yellow car, but have no idea what the vin is.

phatdak18
Road Runner (RM)

Post by phatdak18 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:28 am

I bought my car from Dayton Ohio. Will the DMV release VIN history to just anybody or has privacy become too much of a factor nowadays? Has anybody pursued the DMV route with any positive results?
MOPAR OR NO CAR!!!

moparite
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Road Runner 4speed FJ6 air grabber car. And yes i have the
build sheet to prove it. NO IT'S NOT FOR SALE!

Post by moparite » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:53 am

Here is an article about it, I read one years ago that said the same thing. I never traced the history on any of my cars but they do move around sometimes. What i do know is my 68 charger was was sold new in north Jersey stayed here most of it's life. Then the previous owner i got it from moved to Florida for some time and eventually moved back here when he sold it. It still had the title from Fla and it took a few days for dmv to transfer it(this was in the 80's). My Challenger had a sticker under the hood from a company in Ohio but i bough it NJ. I have no idea the history on my Runner other than it was repainted a maroon color(original FJ6/Green Go-Sassy Grass) and it was raced as a track car at some point. Air grabber along with all the drive train was gone when i bought it. If i had the chance to speak to the previous owner that painted it i would have to ask, Wtf where you thinking? Strobe and all badging was gone. If you do get any info from DMV keep us up to date. Love reading about the history of cars. I may get this done for mine as well. I'd like to know where my original air grabber went. :)

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/189.cfm

phatdak18
Road Runner (RM)

Post by phatdak18 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:02 pm

Ok so heres a few updates on my search....

Ive contacted my state's BMV and learned how to file for title records and/or registration records. So that paperwork and fees are in the mail...we'll see what comes back from that.

Ive decoded my vin and fender tags. Nothing really cool here however. Just your run of the mill 72' Satellite, 318ci, GY4 Honeydew paint, yellow vinyl roof, yellow vinyl bench, and a bunch more boring details. St. Louis MO plant.

My build sheet is a different story (although not too uncommon from what ive come to understand). The build sheet i was given does NOT belong to my car, the production sequential numbers do not match. They do share a lot of common features (based on fender tag decode) including color!

I'll keep ya posted as more information is revealed. anticipate questions haha.....
MOPAR OR NO CAR!!!