3/8" gas tank pick up/ sending unit with return line

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

road chicken
GTX (RS)

3/8" gas tank pick up/ sending unit with return line

Post by road chicken » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:01 pm

If anyone buys one of these units that has a return line fitting that isn't used, make sure to seal off the return line with a cap that is rated for use with fuels. Had a rude awaking today- two years after installing mine. Filled the tank and went in to pay for the fuel. When I came back out there was fuel pissing all over the tailpipes while the car was sitting next to the pumps. First order of business was to push the car away from the pumps, ( would be bad enough to lose the car but worse to take a gas station with it). When I crawled underneath to find the leak, the cap that came with the sending unit to seal off the return line fitting just disintegrated in my hand. Thankfully the car had cooled down while I was digging around my storage unit for 15 minutes before I drove the mile to the fuel station- so the pipes were relatively cool and didn't flash start the gas on fire.
4th generation B bodys- there is no substitute.
68 383, Street Demon 750, RPM top end,484/284/108 poo poo cam "-5 spd 4:10 SG, 4whl disk, Helwig Anti-Sway, Poly bushings,Firm Feel Box, HD Linkage, 1" t-bars, 7 leafs Springs

dangina
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 roadrunner

Re: 3/8" gas tank pick up/ sending unit with return line

Post by dangina » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:42 am

scary stuff!!!
400 stroked to 470ci, 3:55 Eaton true trac, slightly upgraded suspension lol

BUILD THREAD!!!! http://www.protouringmopar.com/showthread.php?796-1971-Speedipus-Rex&highlight=speedipus

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Re: 3/8" gas tank pick up/ sending unit with return line

Post by road chicken » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:41 pm

Lets just say it got my undivided attention in big hurry ! its all good, I just don't want to see it happen to anyone else...especially with a hot exhaust!!
4th generation B bodys- there is no substitute.
68 383, Street Demon 750, RPM top end,484/284/108 poo poo cam "-5 spd 4:10 SG, 4whl disk, Helwig Anti-Sway, Poly bushings,Firm Feel Box, HD Linkage, 1" t-bars, 7 leafs Springs