New guy from California

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

Bird Flu
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner

New guy from California

Post by Bird Flu » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:43 am

Hello everyone. Picked up my 71 roadrunner from a field in Colorado. Paid 1000 bucks for it. Needs an engine and tranny. Very lucky as there is only surface rust. I'd say it's about 99% complete minute engine and tranny. In the process of putting it back together slow going but that's the fun part. I lucked out and found a guy in my town that has just about anything mopar I need. A few things I'm going to buy new but for now to get it running I'm just picking up the stuff I need. Photobucket doesn't seem to want to play nice with my iPad and so far have managed to get one picture address to post it. It says a lot about the condition and how lucky I am. I almost passed on the car as I was only able to see it in pictures, until I was able to have my brother bring it down to me.Image
It sat in this field since 1986 which may have saved it from the Colorado winters. I'll post more pictures as I can get photobucket to accept my iPad. Going to be a long night lol

Magnes
Satellite Sebring Plus (RP)
My Cars: 1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus - Rallye Red
1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring - Green - Parts Car
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring - Tan

Re: New guy from California

Post by Magnes » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:07 am

Welcome! Looks like a good project. Post up some more pics when you are able to. We'd enjoy seeing more of this one

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:08 pm

Welcome to the Nest!
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

jace
Road Runner (RM)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Satellite slant-6
1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus 318

Post by jace » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:26 pm

I'm amazed that Roadrunners and Satellites are still laying around in this good of shape after all these years. Your front fenders are in a lot better shape then the ones that came on my 71 Satellite. I ended up finding another set but until I replace the floor boards and do some more front end work I decided to hammer out what I could and glaze over what I couldn't. Of course rust is an issue here on the coast of Washington too. Fortunately my 72 Satellite is originally from out of state.

Looks like a great base to start from. Post more pics when you can.

Of course I already went to your photobucket and checked it out.

1971 Plymouth Satellite slant-6
1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus 318

Bird Flu
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by Bird Flu » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:23 am

I was wondering if that could be done. But not as fun as posting them here, but I'm still having an issue with photobucket and my iPad. Been kinda sick so I haven't got to do much cleaning out of the sweet white shag carpet but I did manage to pull off all the head liner and get most of the rats nests out it. Floor pans are perfect. For my first rebuild project I lucked out. I know when I find my charger it won't be as nice. I'm gonna get the inside cleaned out and take a load of pictures and try to post them Tuesday.

Bird Flu
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by Bird Flu » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:25 am

By the way the car had been sitting in this field since 1986

Bird Flu
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by Bird Flu » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:36 am

[URL=http://s228.photobucket.com/user/mikeye ... 2.jpg.html]Image[/URL

This was the first picture that my brother sent me after he was able to get it out of the field. The fender was removed and had some damage and will either be replaced or just fixed. Front valance also had some damage but the local mopar guru had a new one plus the grill and lights. I'll pick that up Monday

harpo57
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 72 satellite sebring plus

Post by harpo57 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:58 am

nice find welcome to the club. if you have never had the pleasure of working on this style of car you don't know how lucky you are to have a Mopar guru in your locale that is willing to share parts with you. a lot of parts for this style of car are hard to find and expensive. has this person sworn you to secrecy not to reveal his name and whereabouts? Lol would he be willing to help the rest of us?

Bird Flu
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by Bird Flu » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:11 am

I actually found him on Craigslist in a last ditch effort to find a cheap engine and tranny. Im sure he wouldn't mind but just incase I'll ask him on Monday. He sold the Dodge Charger used in fast five to the production crew and had a big write up in the local paper, so I don't think he's trying to hide lol

Bird Flu
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by Bird Flu » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:06 am

Hey all, I'm back on my roadrunner build, and have a few more questions. I've been searching for my fender tag and I'm thinking the P.O. removed it, and it is lost to time. One of a few things I have noticed that I didn't pick up before is the black outline around the rear tail lights. Now forgive me in advance, I'm still learning my cars ins and outs, but is this an option or something that may have been placed there by another owner? The cars interior is painted from what I have been told is vitamin C orange. Not planning on taking it back to this color unless I happen to find the fender tag under the mound of chewed up sleeping bag the rats where using as they took up residence in the trunk or by luck I find the build sheet under the back seat. But seeing as there is also rat crap under there I have no hope of finding it. Any how back to my question is this black outline just a paint option and if so can it also kind of point me in the right direction of what it may have looked like new. Thanks in advance guys. Hope to have some pictures up soon.

moparite
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Road Runner 4speed FJ6 air grabber car. And yes i have the
build sheet to prove it. NO IT'S NOT FOR SALE!

Post by moparite » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:26 am

I think you are referring to the M75 Rear bumper tape treatment.

Bird Flu
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by Bird Flu » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:05 pm

I think you are right

Bird Flu
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Post by Bird Flu » Fri May 29, 2015 3:56 pm

Ok so again sorry for all the lame questions here but I got a few more for those that have the knowin'.

First off, the I don't have any vents on the passenger side dash. Just a roadrunner emblem and his head, my door panels are not the same as any of the pictures he has seen, plus I have a dodge steering wheel with a column shifter, and a floor shifter. My understanding of the car history was the only thing removed was the 383 engine and tranny. And that the floor shifter and power seats were the only thing added. Vin reads it's a roadrunner. Could this be some weird mis labeled car as I know that happened a lot before computers and bar codes and crap. The steering column unless professional done shows no sign of ever being replaced. Am I just a total noob at this car thing and not knowing all the options these cars came with? Will try to post more pictures of the door panels and the like to give you all a better idea of what I'm talking about. Thanks again.

steved
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth GTX, GY9 Tawny Gold
2000 Nissan Xterra
2016 Fiesta ST
other stuff

Post by steved » Fri May 29, 2015 4:17 pm

Neat car!

on the drivers side fender there should be a plate (the fender tag)...just a little bigger than a business card. it'll have numbers and letter and the VIN. that's the easiest way to decode what you have. take a picture of it and post it!

We should talk. i've got a nice '71 passenger fender for you.

sjd
1971 GTX, GY9 Tawny Gold.

moparite
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Road Runner 4speed FJ6 air grabber car. And yes i have the
build sheet to prove it. NO IT'S NOT FOR SALE!

Post by moparite » Sat May 30, 2015 12:26 pm

Yea, look for the fender tag or the build sheet(found behind the rear seat,on glove box or under the carpet). It will tell you everything it left the factory with.

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=17