Custom Console for 71-74 B-body

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

GLR
Satellite Sebring Plus (RP)

Custom Console for 71-74 B-body

Post by GLR » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:28 am

Hello everyone!
I wanted a cup holder for my crusier that I will be building and my car is automatic on the floor and with A/C it doesn't have any room under the dash to put a cup holder mounted to the underside. I wanted to keep the factory style console but there isn't a good place to hold my wifes Coffee or her water and my drinks also and so I looked around and found an arm rest with cup holder and I made a lot of modifacations to it and this is what I came up with. The arm rest and cup holder is off a 1993-98 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and the console was in bad shape, it was broken and cracked and missing parts and it was green!.. My problem is that when you flip up the arm rest I need a good way for a stop. At this time I have a wire with an eyelet on each end and one end goes to the last screw in the rear of the top plate and the other I put to the arm rest inner struture, it isn't very strong but seams to work but if anyone has a good idea on how I can make it bettter, please let me know.
Gary
Attachments
IMG_3015.JPG

GLR

Re: Custom Console for 71-74 B-body

Post by GLR » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:29 am

Picture with console glove box door open and the arm rest up...
Attachments
IMG_3014.JPG

GLR

Post by GLR » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:41 am

Additional pictures of console
Attachments
IMG_3011.JPG

dangina
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 roadrunner

Post by dangina » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:23 pm

love this idea! been trying to figure out where to put some cup holders in this bird
400 stroked to 470ci, 3:55 Eaton true trac, slightly upgraded suspension lol

BUILD THREAD!!!! http://www.protouringmopar.com/showthread.php?796-1971-Speedipus-Rex&highlight=speedipus

GLR

Post by GLR » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:55 pm

Yea... it took me awhile to figure out how and where I could put a cup holder. My car is an A/C car and there isn't any room under the dash to put an aftermarket cup holder there. I wanted the original console because I had new bezels and shifter handle already purchased. THat left me only one place and that was over top of the glove box door on the console and this is what I came up with. It looks good and functions well.