1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus 400-4BBL

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

Mr Gorsky
Satellite Coupe (RL)

Re: 1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus 400-4BBL

Post by Mr Gorsky » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:27 am

Looks great!!

Are new lower door trims available, or were those just nice secondhand ones??

1971SSP
GTX (RS)

Post by 1971SSP » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:56 am

Don't change a thing about the cars paint, it looks great white. You just don't see many white SSP's (or RR/GTX). IMO, no interior color looks better then white when its new. It looks super clean and sharp!
Brian
1971 Satellite Sebring Plus

DixieSatellite
Satellite Sebring Plus (RP)

Post by DixieSatellite » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:27 am

Hi,

Just a small update and to add to the collective reference data. My car (an on-going 20-year rolling resto-mod of an originally solid car) is finally nearing completion, or as much as I want to do to it for now. I could never do a full frame off (I work full-time overseas) so the plan was to do restore the car in stages (mechanical / engine / tranny), tn interior and finally paint /body. This way I could get in the car anytime and drive it across the US if I wanted / needed to (even with a collapsed driver seat and dropped driver door).

It was either this, or not do it at all. I bought my Satellite back in 1991 (in a car yard in Clinton, TN) to drive across the USA to aviation school in Phoenix). At the time, it was not uncommon to see good survivors changing hands for very reasonable money (my Satellite Sebring Plus was $2800 IIRC) and there were still Satellites / RRs cars around as daily drivers. Sadly, this is no longer the case, but makes me feel keeping the car all these years was the right choice. Also, I have never actually seen another Spinnaker White / Argent Silver in the flesh.

Anyway, enough of that. Here are some pics for anyone not sure about how good white aftermarket Satellite / Roadunner interiors are. I think they look great and am very pleased with the result. I bit the bullet and went for new everything (full interior) and next time I drive the car it be showroom. First time in 43 years :)

I am also really happy about the new door hinges and have attached pics for anyone interested in seeing what what you get for your money. My driver door hinges were completely trashed and would jam / flex the door frame. I can't tell you the number of times I pulled a right turn into traffic and the driver-side door swung wide open.....also that 'clunk / rattle' when closing the door will be gone - just a satisfying 'click' instead. It really is the little things.....

Will finish paint / body in original Spinnaker White / Argent Silver and white vinyl roof and that will be it. Not a #1 car by any means (despite the $$ invested) but a nice #2 and I am happy with that.

Ian B.

'72 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus 400-4BBL

Magnes
My Cars: 1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus - Rallye Red
1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring - Green - Parts Car
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring - Tan

Post by Magnes » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:03 am

Looks great. I have the same interior. You went the extra mile with yours and from what I can see, it looks excellent.

I get a lot of comments about how hard it is to keep a white interior clean but to be honest, it isn't that bad. Yeah you don't want to get all greasy and then just jump in and go for a ride, nor do you want to drag your dirty foot across the door panel as you exit, but I live in Texas now and the temperature difference between my old black with black interior SSP and my orange with white interior SSP is night and day. I can leave the car sitting in the sun, get in without scalding off the entire back of my body and cruise with no AC in 100 degree weather in perfect comfort.

Plus it just looks classy. I'd like to see more pics of your car. I bet that white/silver on white is stunning.

DixieSatellite

Post by DixieSatellite » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:48 pm

Magnes wrote:Looks great. I have the same interior. You went the extra mile with yours and from what I can see, it looks excellent.

I get a lot of comments about how hard it is to keep a white interior clean but to be honest, it isn't that bad. Yeah you don't want to get all greasy and then just jump in and go for a ride, nor do you want to drag your dirty foot across the door panel as you exit, but I live in Texas now and the temperature difference between my old black with black interior SSP and my orange with white interior SSP is night and day. I can leave the car sitting in the sun, get in without scalding off the entire back of my body and cruise with no AC in 100 degree weather in perfect comfort.

Plus it just looks classy. I'd like to see more pics of your car. I bet that white/silver on white is stunning.
Thanks. You are right about the white interior = it is no harder to look after and is very smart when done right. i have the side seat caps and new seat=belts to install and the interior will be finished (all interior vinyl / plastic and roof liming is new). Up until last year, I was driving on a collapsed driver-side seat, so the new interior will be a welcome change (put sound-deadening in also under new carpet).

Here is a vid I took a few years ago pre-interior restore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_X67-fp35Q

Ian B.
'72 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus 400-4BBL