An update

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

mopardog
Satellite Sebring Plus (RP)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner 400 (project)

An update

Post by mopardog » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:40 pm

I haven't posted in a while....haven't had much to talk about really. Got some good news day before yesterday, my mechanic says the suspension rebuild is about to start. He has had a jeep sitting next to the bird all winter and didn't want to work on my baby until he had somewhere to store the Jeep. The Jeep is finding a new storage area and work on the bird is beginning. She is going to have a room in the shop all to her self and my mechanic/friend is really looking forward to tearing into her. He told me that basically since she's been there he has had lots of folks go over to her and ask all kinds of questions about her. She's getting a lot of attention even in the garage with the front cap totally removed (and stored in a secure location separate from car.) I told him just wait until she's done!!! Well that's about it for now.
Long live "Ma Mopar"!!! 1972 Road Runner F7 Green, E68, build Feb 9, 1972, Deluxe trim. She's a little rough but she's mine all mine!!!!!

mopardog

Re: An update

Post by mopardog » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:57 pm

Parts for the 383 are starting to arrive! I found a local source for parts, Steve's Muscle cars and parts (stevesparts.com) and was able to score everything for the front of the motor (pulleys, tensioner, core a\c pump, brackets, etc.) . Really nice guy and reasonable on price too. Now I'm cleaning up said parts and getting them ready for paint. Heads are almost put together, just waiting on retainer discs to come in to finish them off. I've got to take the block, crank, and pistons to shop to be cleaned up and she'll be ready to put together. At this rate, the engine will be ready hopefully the same time that the car is ready to go to body shop. Yea! I have also been able to score a good deal on a car hauler from a friend who is upgrading to a tilt bed style hauler. will be picking it up in a couple of weeks. Overall, it's been a pretty exciting week. 'can almost hear "the bird" coming to life!!!!!
Long live "Ma Mopar"!!! 1972 Road Runner F7 Green, E68, build Feb 9, 1972, Deluxe trim. She's a little rough but she's mine all mine!!!!!

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Post by road chicken » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:57 pm

Nothing makes you feel like getting the parts in , especially after waiting for so long. Gets you gnawing on the proverbial bit. I KNOW :D
4th generation B bodys- there is no substitute.
68 383, Street Demon 750, RPM top end,484/284/108 poo poo cam "-5 spd 4:10 SG, 4whl disk, Helwig Anti-Sway, Poly bushings,Firm Feel Box, HD Linkage, 1" t-bars, 7 leafs Springs

mopardog

Post by mopardog » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:06 pm

I know what you mean RC. I'm having to pace myself in order to have the engine ready by time suspension is done. I still can't get over just how quickly the car is coming back to life.

mopardog

Post by mopardog » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:22 am

making some more progress on the motor build. I have managed to to get all the pumps, cleaned up the water pump housing as well as oil pan. Have got all bolt on parts cleaned, and painted and nearly have the heads finished....just waiting on valve retainer discs which should be in any day now. Taking block down next week for clean up and will be getting the cam and lifters, bearings and gaskets and such to finish putting her all together. My mechanic says he's going to have to sneak into his shop on a weekend in order to get the suspension all done. He says the bird has been a "good luck charm". when I took her down at the beginning of the winter, his business had really slowed down to point that he thought he was going to have to only be able to be open 3 days a week just to be able to stay afloat. Since she has been there, he has been nearly overwhelmed with business and customers asking about my baby. Kinda funny I think. To think that she's getting this kind of attention and she's not done yet....makes me feel pretty good :D

steved
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth GTX, GY9 Tawny Gold
2000 Nissan Xterra
2016 Fiesta ST
other stuff

Post by steved » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:46 am

Funny how they're good luck charms....having mine sitting at the import tuning shop in her GY9 gold sold 3 more paint jobs in a month. I think I need the commission...

sjd
1971 GTX, GY9 Tawny Gold.

mopardog

Post by mopardog » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:17 pm

NEW ENGINE BAY WIRING ON THE WAY!!!!!!!!! :D I ordered all the wiring from the firewall to headlights Monday via YearOne. I can't wait to rip out what the Pack Rats destroyed and put in new stuff. The only harness that I did not order was the hood mounted turn signal. Gonna wait on that ($165 for it....soooo not really that important right now). Next up, will be ordering the cam and lifter kit, and making another trip to Steve's Muscle Car Parts for a distributor gear and some oem valve covers. It's starting to come back together.

mopardog

Post by mopardog » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:09 am

Got the wiring in from Year One a couple of days ago! Happy Gearhead!!!

mopardog

Up in the air!

Post by mopardog » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:22 am

Went by the shop to visit "the Bird" earlier this week and she is finally showing signs of progress on the suspension. She is sitting up on stands and tires are off. My buddy says that business is finally starting to slow down so he can start focusing more on time on her. Only thing standing in the way is a Mudstang with a balljoint issue. Not a bad looking car for what it is. 67 coupe pretty much all original except for the early 80's 5.0 hood scoop on hood (nasty looking)........

Looks like the front calipers are rebuildable so gonna have him call me before he rebuilds them so I can bring them home and clean them up/paint them. Same thing with rear hubs. This is the first time I have gotten a real close look of suspension with wheels off. Looks like the cleanup I was able to do.....getting some 40yrs worth of dirt and gunk off is going to be a big plus. Everything is clean and easy to get to which will save time and hopefully money for me. Think I will try to get fuel tank back up in car while she is jacked up, should be easier to get in than out.....I hope. I will put some pics up Mon or Tues of how she sits now.

mopardog

Post by mopardog » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:32 pm

suspension build is under way at last! Off with the old and on with the new. Also, the bird is getting a new windshield Fri. It will give me a good excuse to get some fresh pics . WIndshield isn't broken just old and needs to be replaced.

CtownRunner
GTX (RS)

Post by CtownRunner » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:56 pm

Happy, HAPPY, Joy, Joy!

sdweatherman
Site Admin
My Cars: 1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1974 KB5 Plymouth Road Runner GTX Dealer Announcement car

Post by sdweatherman » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:32 pm

Sounds like some good progress - and yes - we like to see pictures!
Scott.
1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof

mopardog

Post by mopardog » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:48 am

wow, it's been a year since my last update post!!!! wish I could say she was in her final stages and have all kinds of awesome pics......but no such luck. My last post was slightly premature. My mechanic has been able to only work on the bird in between customers and guess what, he's been swamped until now. The old stuff is pretty much off, just now starting to replace with new. I guess the best part of the whole deal is the bird has been safe, warm, and dry this whole time rent free. So, looking at possibly March getting her home. Then I will be doing some cleanup and removal of stuff in order to get her ready for the body shop in July. That is as of right now.