General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

mopar71
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 roadrunner

Re: The Future of the Road Runner Nest

Post by mopar71 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:01 pm

Ok, sent. 8) thru paypal!
Last edited by mopar71 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MOPAR (Move Over Plymouth Approching Rapidly)

gary
GTX (RS)
My Cars: '71 GTX Gold Leaf Met.440 A/T

Post by gary » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:03 am

Sent some $ to Dave via paypal, Keep up the good work everyone. Thanks for a great Nest! :beer:
Gary 19.71 GTX , Goldleaf Met.

71Beeper
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Satellite

Post by 71Beeper » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:52 pm

I too just made a contribution. Keeping the nest up and running is a great benefit to all of us here.

Hugh
Satellite Sebring (RH)
My Cars: 1973 Plymouth Satellite Sebring 318/904/8.25

Post by Hugh » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:13 pm

I've been away for awhile but enjoy the 'nest! Just sent through PayPal!

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Post by road chicken » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:59 pm

So whatever happened to this?
4th generation B bodys- there is no substitute.
68 383, Street Demon 750, RPM top end,484/284/108 poo poo cam "-5 spd 4:10 SG, 4whl disk, Helwig Anti-Sway, Poly bushings,Firm Feel Box, HD Linkage, 1" t-bars, 7 leafs Springs

gary
GTX (RS)
My Cars: '71 GTX Gold Leaf Met.440 A/T

Post by gary » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:53 am

I was kinda wondering too. :beer:

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:12 pm

Sorry, I don't have any info to give...trying to reach Dave for an update
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

bruce
Site Admin

Post by bruce » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:56 am

I've not heard from Dave about this either.
Bruce Anliker

Dave
Site Admin
My Cars: 71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)
71 Satellite Sebring Plus (383/2bbl/auto)

Post by Dave » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:09 pm

Everyone,

I have to say that I'm sorry this has been so long in coming. When I kicked this whole thing off last year, I fully expected to have the time to grind through the setup and have the conversion to the new software done pretty quickly. Well, as luck would have it just after getting things moving, my professional life took a turn from "really busy" to "holy crap, I don't think I get time to sleep this week". For those that don't know, my day job is as the CEO of a software innovation studio, and one of two owners of the company. 2014 saw me putting in 70-80 hour work weeks for almost the entire year. So I wound up totally dropping the ball on this project. Something had to give, unfortunately.

The good news is, that things are settling down a bit, and I'm back down to only 60-70 hours a week. You know, a "light" schedule. ;-) Over the weekend I did a fresh install of the new software, and started the configuration. Bruce and Eric are helping me get some things configured there. We do have one thing that we will be waiting on before we can turn it on, however:

The new site will be based on Invision Power Suite's brand new version 4.0. It's brand new, and one thing they haven't finished yet are the conversion utilities to migrate all our existing data from here in phpBB. I'm doing some research right now as to if we could turn the new site on, and then later convert everything. It would mean starting "fresh" in the forums for a little bit - but that all the old content would stay around for reference until I was able to convert it.

Thanks for sticking with me through this. I totally didn't anticipate that my world would get so busy so quickly - but we are honestly pretty close to getting the new site off the ground!
Dave
Founder - The Road Runner Nest

71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)

bruce
Site Admin

Post by bruce » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:38 am

And I gotta say, the NEW Road Runner Nest looks pretty dang cool. You're gonna LOVE the functionality of being able to have your own photo album hosted on site and being able to pull from that album to post in the forums. It will take a bit, but the overall improvement to the site is going to be tremendous! :beer:
Bruce Anliker

rr6pak
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Tor-Red RR

Post by rr6pak » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:24 am

bruce wrote:And I gotta say, the NEW Road Runner Nest looks pretty dang cool. You're gonna LOVE the functionality of being able to have your own photo album hosted on site and being able to pull from that album to post in the forums. It will take a bit, but the overall improvement to the site is going to be tremendous! :beer:

Can't wait to see and use it, Bruce. I have a ton of pictures I want to post. Also, will there be a limit on the size of pictures? Does anyone know. I kniw that is one , and probably the biggest issue members have here.

BTW-Nice to see ya, Dave. Don't have to tell me that you're busy and all. Hope all is well in your family

bruce
Site Admin

Post by bruce » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:26 pm

Dave will have to speak to the size of the images you can house there… after all, this thing lives on HIS company's servers. But I've uploaded some photos of my own, and while they are not LARGE by print standards (I'm a graphic designer by trade), they are fairly large as far as online images would go...
Bruce Anliker

bruce
Site Admin

Post by bruce » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:28 pm

Oh, and I gotta add, the software we'll be using on the new site won't arbitrarily crop the righthand side off your images as we've seen happen here. Yea! :D
Bruce Anliker

Dave
Site Admin
My Cars: 71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)

Post by Dave » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:55 pm

As far as image size, I've got it set right now to only allow 4MB files max. We do have disk space limits to consider, but 4MB *per file* should be good to start, and there is a good bit of space on the drive that we can fill up. :)
Dave
Founder - The Road Runner Nest

71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)

sdweatherman
Site Admin
My Cars: 1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1974 KB5 Plymouth Road Runner GTX Dealer Announcement car

Post by sdweatherman » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:03 pm

Dave,
I would think that there should be some software out there that looks at an incoming image file size and automatically adjusts the size and resolution to whatever limits you set up?

For those that want to adjust your picture size yourself - there is a free program called Paint.net that you can use on your computer to adjust your pictures. It is a pretty basic program, but I use it a lot for adjusting picture size/resolution when posting pics to the web. My IPhone takes a 2592x1936 pixel picture (about 2MB). I use Paint.net to reduce my IPhone pics down to 640x480 pixels to post on the Nest. (640x480 was about the right size to post on the Nest without losing the right-hand side of the picture). The 640x480 pics are one tenth the file size (200KB) of the originals - so they don't take up precious server memory space.

With the new Nest site, it looks like the limit will be 4MB - that is actually quite a bit. A 1280x960 pixel photo will take up most of the space on a 15" monitor - and is plenty big to show most anything on a website. And the file size of a 1280x960 pic is only about 1MB.

Scott.
1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof