finally a little green

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

kenny
GTX (RS)
My Cars: RM23N1G107875

Re: finally a little green

Post by kenny » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:02 pm

Well over the last week I got the jack cleaned up and put back in (i believe my spare should also be green to match so it could be worked into rotation but i will need to come back to that), I got all the stainless trim put back on along with the rest of the weather stripping, emblems and all the decals except the stripe. When the stiper came to put the decals on he advised that he wouldn't use the stripe I had. It came with the car and was pretty old it had started to lift just a little at a few of the edges so I ordered a new one friday. I found this interesting the old stripe I had came with the car, it had a receipt in the bottom of the box dated for the spring of 1990 it was shipped to fort knox ky it came from Motor City Muscle in Detroit, who I cant find any info on now, but the interesting part was it cost 169.00 plus shipping way back in 1990 and that is exactly what I paid for mine from performance graphics 2 days ago. The bad news is I took it to my first event Saturday, it was an annual cruise in at my church, where the car got a lot of attention and compliments, however when I was coming home the car started missing and by the time I got home 15 miles away it was bucking and chugging and coughing through the carb. I parked it to let it cool off so I could get around the manifolds and stuff. I pulled the first plug and it had fuel dripping off it and was wet fauled, continued all of them were the same a couple cylinders even had some fuel drip out of them. checked to see I was getting fire by grounding out a plug wire, and I was. I pulled the air cleaner off and noticed the carb looked damp on the outside body section so I took the top off of it to see if the gasket was broke some place but it wasnt however the float bowls had a lot of fuel in them. I changed the plugs to a new set I had on the shelf and put on another new coil I had as well to see if it would make better spark and run again, and although the engine cranked better after that, I cant get it restarted. I am leaning toward the carb having a problem and flooding it out because I have had to get the floats adjusted a couple times it has always ran to rich since I it was rebuilt even though its been adjusted on a couple times. I have checked for vacuum leaks but I only have the vacuum pod on the choke pull off, the vacuum pod on the distributor, and the pcv valve, no other vacuums on the car the manifold had a vacuum nipple on it but since I dont have a brake booster I just put a rubber vacuum cap on it. Any ideas of something to check would be great.

ct71rr
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Road Runner

Post by ct71rr » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:54 am

Very nice. That color is growing on me.

71bird
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 69 Coronet 4 door.71 Road Runner. 71Dodge Tradesman 100 Van. 75 Dodge Dart. 95 Dodge Neon.

Post by 71bird » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:19 pm

Looking good Kenny. Tell me about trying to run down all of these bugs. I got my rear end fixed. We need to cruise together sometime soon.
71 Road Runner - J68

kenny
GTX (RS)
My Cars: RM23N1G107875

Post by kenny » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:30 pm

Alright, the gold strobe to complete the original color combination is finally in place. Last weekend I had posted about some running issues, I determined that between the floats still being a little high and the choke on the carb hanging up, that was flooding the engine and fouled the plugs. Ive had issues with this carb since first fire up so it has been replaced with a new edlebrock performer 750. I also changed the plugs to some autolites and pulled the points from the distributor and replaced the coil with the pertronics system. Now I have one extra wire out of the distributor however I still have a ballat resistor hanging on the fire wall and pluged up but I removed the resistor wire from inside and soldered a solid copper wire in place. So now Im getting a better air fuel mixture and a better spark to ignite it, and although it still looks pretty much the same under the hood, man did those changes really bring it to life, and improved my mpg.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:07 pm

looks great!
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

KentuckyBlueBird
Road Runner (RM)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner

Post by KentuckyBlueBird » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:31 pm

Kenny, your car has turned out immaculate! I wanted to say thanks again for the great deal on the header panel emblem. :)

dangina
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 roadrunner

Post by dangina » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:59 pm

looks like that protouring build where they dropped in a 6.1 hemi into it and sold it a couple months later -not that long ago:

http://www.mecum.com/lot-detail.cfm?LOT ... 414-187107
400 stroked to 470ci, 3:55 Eaton true trac, slightly upgraded suspension lol

BUILD THREAD!!!! http://www.protouringmopar.com/showthread.php?796-1971-Speedipus-Rex&highlight=speedipus