Think Luck just ran out

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

mopardog
Satellite Sebring Plus (RP)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner 400 (project)

Think Luck just ran out

Post by mopardog » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:27 pm

Went and picked up a 400 last weekend....finally got it tore down today. Pistons are rusted stuck, cylinder walls are rusted. Took block to speed shop\machine shop nearby for a second opinion. They basically said the heads are fixable, crank should be good if I can get it out, and connecting rods might be okay....but the block is pretty much a boat anchor. there's about 100 bucks down the toilet. Is there anyone else on here from Arkansas who might have a lead or an extra 400 block lying around in good shape for sale?
Long live "Ma Mopar"!!! 1972 Road Runner F7 Green, E68, build Feb 9, 1972, Deluxe trim. She's a little rough but she's mine all mine!!!!!

ralley72
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1973 Road Runner 400 4 speed

Re: Think Luck just ran out

Post by ralley72 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:03 pm

Yes that does suck. Its disheartening to think you have a good block then find out you don't. I have a couple 400 here I just hope they are still good. I do have a 69 383 near KCMO I make a good deal on.

Mike

mopardog

Post by mopardog » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:16 pm

Just talked to a local Mopar guy and he says he's got a 72 coded block that he's willing to part with. Funny thing is, he was first owner of my last car and knows a little history on my current Runner. Talk about a small world. Hope everything works out. Gonna meet up with him this weekend on motor. (crossing fingers)

Ralley72, will keep ya in mind if this doesn't work for some reason.
Long live "Ma Mopar"!!! 1972 Road Runner F7 Green, E68, build Feb 9, 1972, Deluxe trim. She's a little rough but she's mine all mine!!!!!

71bird
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 69 Coronet 4 door.71 Road Runner. 71Dodge Tradesman 100 Van. 75 Dodge Dart. 95 Dodge Neon.

Post by 71bird » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:52 pm

How far is the block pitted? How far would you have to bore it to clean it up?
71 Road Runner - J68

mopardog

Post by mopardog » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:23 am

According to the guys at the speed shop, the pits are too deep to bore out and would cost around 600 to resleeve, so gonna get what salvageable stuff off it as possible and scrap block. Hate to do it but, not throwing any more at block than I already have besides, all good stuff off this one will bolt up to new block when I get it. so not a total loss....I think.

moparite
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Road Runner 4speed FJ6 air grabber car. And yes i have the
build sheet to prove it. NO IT'S NOT FOR SALE!

Post by moparite » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:32 am

Please tell me why you would buy a motor and NOT check it out first? At least see if the crank will turn.

mopardog

Post by mopardog » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:51 am

I know I should have tried to see if engine would turn at crank. I made a mistake. I am sure I am not the only Mopar fan here that has done something similar. I admit I am a little rusty (ha no pun intended) but I am no complete rookie. I'm taking this as a learning experience and moving on. The good thing is, I have saved a bunch of parts, and in the long run, am not out a whole bunch of cash and I have scored a correct 72 block after all.

CtownRunner
GTX (RS)

Post by CtownRunner » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:13 am

It is progress and that is a good thing. Hell what is the scrap value of a big ass block?

sdweatherman
Site Admin
My Cars: 1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1974 KB5 Plymouth Road Runner GTX Dealer Announcement car

Post by sdweatherman » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:20 am

I am sure the heads and everything else that you took off the engine was well worth what you paid for the whole thing. Parts is parts! Just took in 200lbs of rusty automotive scrap and got 10 bucks.
1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof

mopardog

Post by mopardog » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:38 am

Not sure how much the block will bring. Was kinda kicking around the idea of making a coffee table out of it for the man cave or something like that. (if the mrs. will ok it that is :D ). the guys at the shop looked at heads and seem to think they will clean up good. Gonna go look at potential new block tomorrow. Now just gotta figure out what to do with the 318 and trans that goes with it. Might list it in local paper and use funds for more parts. Funny how things seem to continue to fall in place even when there are minor setbacks. thanks again to everyone for being supportive so far. I will try to get a photobucket account during my next days off so I can post some pics of my baby.

myaerocars
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 70 Road Runner Superbird Clone
1972 Dodge Charger
1970 Torino King Cobra clone

Post by myaerocars » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:32 pm

Hey don't worry about it Mopardog..

When one door closes a window opens. just be ready when it does. :lol: Sounds like your luck is turning around.

I have built most of my cars by barter, and trading off what I don't need for what I do need.

Good luck with you build.
Godspeed,
JON

mopardog

Post by mopardog » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:57 am

went and looked at the possible "new" 400 motor today and sadly, it wasn't much better than the one I've got. But sat and visited with the guy in his shop for a little while, and he mentioned that he just happened to have a 383 block if I was interested in it... then he would make me a good deal. So, I said "why not let's take a look at her". He had the block wrapped in plastic and said he had all the machine work done on it a couple of years ago and never found anything to put it in. We opened the bag to take a peek, and WOW! the block looked like he had just gotten it back from the shop! Nice and clean he had the block cleaned and checked and the crank turned\polished! He had the pistons and all the stuff I didn't have from my block to include a pair of HP exhaust manifolds. Said he would take $150 and I couldn't get my wallet out quick enough. Not a 400 going back in like planned but don't think I got hurt in the deal. Can't wait to get engine put together! Talk about a window of opprotunity opening...Still can't believe the luck!

mopardog

Post by mopardog » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:47 am

Planning on dropping the fuel tank today and cleaning lines and tank. Just busy work until I get everything needed for the motor.

mopardog

Post by mopardog » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:37 pm

Pulled the tank out today and gave her a good cleaning. A quart of Acetone dropped in and sloshed it around and couldn't believe how clean it is. went ahead and dropped the valances and bumpers and stuff just doin what I can before it goes to body shop. Will more than likely clean on the pistons\rods tomorrow in the a\c. :D

gcoupe72
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner originally equipped as lemon twist,400,4spd,air grabber,performance axle pkg.,bk. interior.

Post by gcoupe72 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:43 pm

Don't know if you have access to sonic-checking the block,
from what I've read, some are thick enough to clean up at .100 oversize!
Despite what the mopar performance books say.
I wouldn't scrap it just yet! :)