General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

71_bronze_gtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 GTX
72 cuda repli-mod

Help With My "New" 71 GTX

Post by 71_bronze_gtx » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:54 pm

Newbie here. Picked up a numbers matching U-code 71 GTX in late November. It was missing both the fender tag and the build sheet.

I'm looking for info regarding what were standard features, what could be deleted, etc.

I'd like to accumulate as many photos of fender tags and build sheets for 71 GTXs as possible so I can attempt to document the car as much as possible, and possibly have a fender tag made. I would appreciate any and all 71 GTX owners to send whatever they can.

I'm the third owner, so I'm told. The previous owner did a restoration starting about 19 years ago and claims that the only things changed were: 6 barrel intake added, purpleshaft cam installed, and rear-end gear changed to 4.10 (in an 8-3/4" housing). If all this is true, it should be easy to reconstruct the fender tag.

Thanks in advance.

-Mark
Attachments
DSCF0820mini.jpg

dangina
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 roadrunner

Re: Help With My "New" 71 GTX

Post by dangina » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:33 pm

good luck, i'm having this problem too
400 stroked to 470ci, 3:55 Eaton true trac, slightly upgraded suspension lol

BUILD THREAD!!!! http://www.protouringmopar.com/showthread.php?796-1971-Speedipus-Rex&highlight=speedipus

sdweatherman
Site Admin
My Cars: 1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1974 KB5 Plymouth Road Runner GTX Dealer Announcement car

Post by sdweatherman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:12 pm

dangina wrote:good luck, i'm having this problem too
Hello Mark. Great looking GTX. As dangina stated, he is in the same boat as you. Here is the previous thread that he started concerning missing fender tags:

http://www.roadrunnernest.com/forum/vie ... 395#p32395

It is kind of a hobby no-no to reconstruct a physical finder tag unless you have direct proof of what was and was not installed on your car. Check out Galen's Tag Service for the documentation that he requires in order to reproduce a tag. I would try and track down all the previous owners and see if they remember where the tag went. If you come up empty, then build the car like you want it. If you want to gather info on what a standard GTX came with so you can make it that way, then there are plenty of folks on this site that will gladly help you out. Good luck with whatever you decide! Scott.
1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof
1974 KB5 Plymouth Road Runner GTX Dealer Announcement car

71_bronze_gtx
GTX (RS)
72 cuda repli-mod

Post by 71_bronze_gtx » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:00 pm

The only direct proof would be the original tag, the build sheets, or possibly the window sticker.

The fender tag was "lost" or thrown away by the guy who last painted the car. A little strange. Unless the build sheet is behind the glove box rather than under the rear seat, it was lost/thrown away as well.

My last visit to the Galien site revealed that they were not taking orders for tags since they were way behind. I didn't notice what documentation they require.

I'm not planning to change the car except where/if I find that standard equipment was left off the last time around. For instance, the hash stripes on the hood are not there. I've read that they were standard, and I've read that they were optional. The belt line stripe is missing, but could be deleted. No rocker panel moldings, but I think they were optional. etc. That's why I'm looking for info on what was standard. I'm not out to misrepresent the car.

ryangtogtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 GTX

Post by ryangtogtx » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:35 pm

GTX's generally always came with rocker, belt line, & wheel well moldings, bucket seats were standard but could be changed to split bench, automatic was standard, 440+4 was standard, except in CA dual exhaust "machine gun tips" were standard, the V1_ stripe was standard. Pretty much everything else was optional and standard options could be deleted or changed in certain circumstances. There really is no way to tell what your car originally came with (except for the engine). Broadcast sheets could be hiding in many places. I found 2 in my car. One under the rear driver's side carpet and one on top of the glove box. I would also look inside and under the front seat, rear seat, carpet, head liner. Finding any dealer paperwork would probably be like finding a needle in a haystack. Good luck and welcome to the 'Nest.

71Beeper
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Satellite

Post by 71Beeper » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:39 pm

Welcome to the nest Mark! You'll find some GTX owners here.
Don't worry too much about not having a fender tag. My previous car, a 76 Road Runner didn't have a fender tag or build sheet when I bought it - I still enjoyed the car for what it was - a Road Runner!
Love the bronze color on yours, any idea if that was the original color?

71bird
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 69 Coronet 4 door.71 Road Runner. 71Dodge Tradesman 100 Van. 75 Dodge Dart. 95 Dodge Neon.

Post by 71bird » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:42 pm

Are you saying that you have the vin tag that goes on the dash also? With what has happened to that car over the years, I'd ck. the vin tag against the numbers on the body, there are several, and the drive train. If all that is kosher then add what ever options you like.Or ones that can easily be reversed. And then have a lot of fun.
71 Road Runner - J68

JimT1971RR
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Roadrunner.

Post by JimT1971RR » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:07 pm

I think there a few of us with the same situation. My 71 rr was completely torn apart except for the body and drivetrain when I purchased it. No fender tag, no broadcast sheet, wiring harnesses in a box, parts just thrown into the car and trunk, etc. All I know about my car is that it is a real RM23 (matches the vins on the cowl and rad support), it came with a 383, now has a 440, it was a bench seat car, now has buckets, and was Curious Yellow, now is In-Voilet.

I am just making the car the way I want it and if I ever go to sell it, it will be represented as such.

71_bronze_gtx
GTX (RS)
72 cuda repli-mod

Post by 71_bronze_gtx » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:13 pm

can't seem to figure out how to answer a private message.

71_bronze_gtx
GTX (RS)
72 cuda repli-mod

Post by 71_bronze_gtx » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:31 am

here's what I see when I open a private message:

no "Reply" button visible. Also, nothing usable appears under the "compose message" tab, either.
Attachments
nest screen cap.JPG

71440 gtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 gtx 71 340 duster
Location: I am here, or is it there? GIF image (animated, 49 frames)

Post by 71440 gtx » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:42 am

nice toy :D :beer:

for a new fender tag you need the Vehicle build date and the Vehicle build for usa can int U c i :D :beer:

U = USA
C = Canada
I = International
on the build sheet.
Y11 Domestic Publications
Y13 Dealer demonstrator
Y14 Vehicle sold to customer order
Y15 Direct Sale
Y16 Vehicle built for the sales bank
Y17 Corporate Lease Car - System
Y22 Corporate Lease Car - Executive
Y28 Company Car/Public Relations
Y33 Fleet Sales
Y37 Outside modification vendor-American Sunroof
Y39 Special Order
Y54 Chrysler Management Employee Purchase
Y91 Show Car Finish A - NO Gas
Y93 Show Car Finish B - NO Gas
71 gtx 440 4speed air grabber blue on blue with white vinyl roofOption cassette player

Plymouth's gonna getcha!
There are 3 things that will live forever, cockroaches, Keith Richards, & slant 6

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:53 pm

Welcome to the Nest!
As already mentioned, reproducing a fender tag with no original documentation is frowned upon. It is fairly easy to spot a fake for those who track info on these cars, but someone without a lot of experience may be fooled into thinking it's the original. This may not be your intent, but your good intentions could be lost a few owners down the line. Without original documentation (broadcast sheet or fender tag) it is not possible to accurately create the tag for your car. Besides not knowing what may have changed on the car through the years, different build plants coded the tags differently and I doubt you'd be able to accurately guess the build date.
When I personally see a car with an incorrectly reproduced tag, it brings into question the entire legitimacy of the vehicle. I would rather see no tag than an incorrect one.
You have a very nice car, I'd enjoy it without the tag!
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

ryangtogtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 GTX

Post by ryangtogtx » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:09 pm

I have to agree with Eric. Short of finding your BS, you will never really know what your car originally came with. Forget about making a tag and build how you would have ordered it. It's still a RS23 so other than standard options, it's basically whatever you want it to be. :beer:

71_bronze_gtx
GTX (RS)
72 cuda repli-mod

Post by 71_bronze_gtx » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:54 pm

Well, lots of free advice and no pics of tags so far.

When I get it out of storage in March or April I can check all the other places for the broadcast sheet. So far I only looked under the rear seat. Maybe I'll find it. Then maybe I can get everyone's approval for Galen to make a tag IF they have resolved their backlog. Otherwise, I can turn it into a SSP clone. HA.

In 1974, as a 19 y.o., I "inherited" the family car which was a 318 '72 SSP in Tor-red. My favorite car ever. A few years later I bought a used '72 400 RR, also Tor-red. Only kept it a year and a half - it was coming unglued. A rust belt car that was well used. I've dreamt of owning a nice clean 71-72 Satellite for a long time, and was looking for one in 2010 when I wound up buying a '72 cuda repli-mod in -- ta da -- Tor-red. 2 years on I got the itch for a Satellite again, and voila. Here I am. Around here most Mopar-heads shun the 71-up Satellites, especially 71-72. No accounting for taste. Don't get me wrong - I like the 68-70 series, and wouldn't throw one away if it fell into my garage. BUT..........

My cuda is a very sweet ride - built 1970 340, .508/292 purpleshaft cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake, Edelbrock 1407 750 cfm carb, TTI headers, Flowmaster 40 series, A727, 3.55 rear, 1970 hockey sticks, Cragar S/S. To drool for. Nevertheless, I got the Satellite jones again. I'm keepin' the cuda, too.
Attachments
1024x576 cuda.jpg

Uppy
Satellite Sebring (RH)
My Cars: Present: 1971 Plymouth GTX
Past: 1970 Dodge Coronet 500
1973 Dodge Charger SE

Post by Uppy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:58 pm

Welcome, nice Getix. I also own a 71 GTX and have a picture of the fender tag for you. I wouldn't worry too much about the fender tag, but I understand that you want to know what options she originally came with. Hopefully you will find a build sheet, look under carpet and above glove box. I have found them under seats both front and back, and my GTX was behind the hard plastic panel on the backside of the drivers seat. I don't think Galen can send reproduction tags to all states, not allowed in Michigan. I was told by a friend that he tried to get Galen to make him a new one to replace the badly damaged one that he had. He was told that Michigan did not allow him to make reproduction tags? Maybe he didn't want too? Not sure if true or not. Good luck, now how do I add a picture?