Site Admin
My Cars: 1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1974 KB5 Plymouth Road Runner GTX Dealer Announcement car

Re: 1971 Factory Sunroof car saved from the salvage yard

Post by sdweatherman » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:55 am

Ian,
Yes, this car is going to go back to as original as possible. It deserves to be done that way. I don't think I will go as crazy as getting everything date code correct, but everything will be correct for the year. I have another 71SSP that I need to finish first, so the resto on this one will be a few years off. Scott.
1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof

71440 gtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 gtx 71 340 duster
Location: I am here, or is it there? GIF image (animated, 49 frames)

Post by 71440 gtx » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:36 pm

coollllllllllllllllllllllllll :beer: :D
71 gtx 440 4speed air grabber blue on blue with white vinyl roofOption cassette player

Plymouth's gonna getcha!
There are 3 things that will live forever, cockroaches, Keith Richards, & slant 6

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Post by road chicken » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:42 pm

Nice save! Let me know when you get closer to finishing it. I have the front foam rubber padding for in front of the sunroof, that's about 90% complete. I will look into making a form so it can be duplicated.
4th generation B bodys- there is no substitute.
68 383, Street Demon 750, RPM top end,484/284/108 poo poo cam "-5 spd 4:10 SG, 4whl disk, Helwig Anti-Sway, Poly bushings,Firm Feel Box, HD Linkage, 1" t-bars, 7 leafs Springs

Doright
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 72 SE sun roof charger
73 RR clone project
73 RR clone New hemi conversion
57 Chrysler New Yorker 2 dr hemi car
78 TA
a few more but Sold the good ones

Post by Doright » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:17 pm

road chicken wrote:Nice save! Let me know when you get closer to finishing it. I have the front foam rubber padding for in front of the sunroof, that's about 90% complete. I will look into making a form so it can be duplicated.
If you can make that mold complete with the side foam I would be very interested in having one for my 72 sunroof car.

If this was my car I would build it as you see fit forget about the 318 engine put what you want in it.
Yes the option is rare but not all that desirable the car model isn't all that rare. If it were mine I would go with a 440 OR better a Hemi Probably one of the new ones. :D old school 426 is way cool too.

Rarity does not drive price Desirability drives price/Value.
When I found my Sunroof car 72 SE sunroof U code I had been searching for over 20 years off and on in the final weeks of searching I found 3 if my memory serves correctly. a GTX which that deal feel apart and had no documentation to back car up with what owner claimed to be true, And another on Moparts owned by a very nice gentalman a Blue with white top/white interior 72 SE 400 car and the one I purchased in Hemming s news up in northern CA a original U code 72 SE but in very poor condition and it remains in very poor condition. :oops:

I have since found one other 72 SE U code Charger on another web sight 71-74 Dodge Charger.com it is a lightly restored white on white original 440 car.

Over the years in my search I had found 2 other sunroof cars and the owners wouldn't part for love or moneys. Sorry over the years I have forgotten details of those cars.

OH almost forgot While I lived in Denver going to school many Moons ago I owned a 71 Charger Gunmetal gray 340 car black interior bucket seat console car with Cassette player now owned by a Friend Mr David Hemingway he plays with Sunroof cars and sources parts for people.
At one time he was working on having new cables made BUT its cost prohibitive.

On another side note there was a Red 72 GTX sunroof U code white interior white top Car that was on cover
of a Mopar Magazine some years ago I still have the copy some where That David Hemmingway owned with a partner of his at one time. before it got on cover of the magazine.

These are Very special cables that drive the Sunroofs in these cars and their are none being manufactured to my knowledge whats out there is what is out their for used parts. AMC wont even consider making replacement parts and will laph at you if you bother to call them. Many have looked into trying to get them re-popped but to my knowledge the company who made them originally in Germany trashed the original tooling many many Moons ago.

If you own one of these cars Keep it in a Garage and disassemble clean & Lube your cable tracks with LOTS of white Lithium grease OFTEN!

I have lost my notes from Mr Hemmingway But these same roofs with the exact same parts were put in other Make and models, BUT with that said there was also a different size roof mfg at same time and those parts wont work so with out knowing exact make and models to look for its a crap shoot.
I should have stored those notes in safe spot :oops:
And by the way don't waste your time or money with 73 up cars for parts hand crank models parts wont work with the power roof parts they are different as far as cables go as far as size goes I have no idea if they are the same or not. The foam may work as well as the panel it self I have no idea. David would know but he advised me not to buy any later model stuff as it wouldn't work.

sdweatherman
Site Admin

Post by sdweatherman » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:41 pm

Everyone cross your fingers, I submitted the details and pics to Mopar Muscle for their Hidden Treasures series. I have also submitted the paperwork to the SD DMV to find out who the last registered owner is. I have that back, and will try to contact the previous owner this week.
Scott.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:15 pm

It would be good to see a 71 B get some press! Try Collectors Guide too. Good luck with the search for previous owners, it's a lot harder to get that info than it used to be.
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

sdweatherman
Site Admin

Post by sdweatherman » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:32 pm

Looks like our 4th Gen Plymouth B-bodies are getting a little press coverage. Picked up the July issue of Mopar Muscle and they published my "Hidden Treasure". I always thought that eventually I would have a "magazine car", but not this way. :lol: There is also a very shiny black V-code Runner in this issue also. Two '71 Plymouth B-bodies in the same issue - scary. The May issue of Muscle car review has the loaded Butterscotch Hemi GTX on the front cover.

Here is the latest pic of some of the donor panels going on the sunroof car. Sprinkle in some FE5 and GF7. I have got a GY8 passenger door to go on there also. What other colors should I throw in there? :shock:

Last edited by sdweatherman on Sat May 19, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

RoadrunnerSteve
Road Runner (RM)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner 340 Auto EV2

Post by RoadrunnerSteve » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:03 pm

I saw that and knew immediately it was your save! Congrats! I like reading about hidden treasures more than the show cars.

gary
GTX (RS)
My Cars: '71 GTX Gold Leaf Met.440 A/T

Post by gary » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:15 am

Scott I too saw that article in the July '13 Mopar Muscle.Am glad you were able to save it! It is very rare :beer:

mopar71
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 roadrunner

Post by mopar71 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:46 am

That's awesome! :beer:
MOPAR (Move Over Plymouth Approching Rapidly)

moparmike1
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner

Post by moparmike1 » Thu May 09, 2013 9:24 pm

sdweatherman wrote:Looks like our 4th Gen Plymouth B-bodies are getting a little press coverage. Picked up the July issue of Mopar Muscle and they published my "Hidden Treasure". I always thought that eventually I would have a "magazine car", but not this way. :lol: There is also a very shiny black V-code Runner in this issue also. Two '71 Plymouth B-bodies in the same issue - scary. The May issue of Muscle car review has the loaded Butterscotch Hemi GTX on the front cover.
Check out the June 2013 Hemmings Muscle Machines. Very nice 72 RR article and with a good story.

Mike.

71Beeper
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Satellite

Post by 71Beeper » Thu May 23, 2013 1:19 pm

Scott - I just read the Hidden Treasures story about your Satellite - great read man!

Magnes
Satellite Sebring Plus (RP)
My Cars: 1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus - Rallye Red
1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring - Green - Parts Car
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring - Tan

Post by Magnes » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:27 am

This is a great story. You, Sir, deserve a medal for saving this car. Great story!
Last edited by Magnes on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:47 pm

Magnes wrote:^^ Kick this guy ^^ lol... Anyone who would suggest recycling a car on this site deserves no less.
Spammer...he's gone now
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

mopardog
Satellite Sebring Plus (RP)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner 400 (project)

Post by mopardog » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:26 pm

Awesome to see another "salvage yard salvation" story! I finally got signed up on photobucket and will try to post pics of my "s.y.s."
Long live "Ma Mopar"!!! 1972 Road Runner F7 Green, E68, build Feb 9, 1972, Deluxe trim. She's a little rough but she's mine all mine!!!!!