finally... the stroker lives!

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

nathan buckley
Road Runner (RM)
My Cars: 1972 roadrunner x 2

finally... the stroker lives!

Post by nathan buckley » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:12 am

Well, I have been too embarrassed to post much over the past 18 months. When my black beast arrived from the US I swore black and blue that I'd have the wimpy old 400 out in a heartbeat. It was the most gutless thing ever put in a tough car. When an old lady dragged me off in a Corolla I knew it was time to act. She didn't even know she was dragging me off! Time to act. Took a lot longer than I thought.

After 12 months of research, plenty of one step forward two steps back, a few mismatched parts, one house reno, a garage that still isn't finished, a new daughter and working like a trojan to pay for it all, I finally got to drive the car with the new powerplant.

440 source stroker kit punching out to 451cubes. new fuel system, 850 Ultra HP Holley, chunky cam, hooker headers (that were supposed to match but weren't even close), TCI 3 inch exhaust... this thing sounds evil!

You have not been able to wipe the smile off my dial ever since.

The black beast now has a set of hairy balls. So far the stock suspension seems to be holding its own, but since I'm running it in, and I'm still a little intimidated by the abundance of power, I'm keeping my foot out of it as much as possible. Oil change tomorrow... time for rear main #3, but waiting for the Mancini billet cap. Anyone had any experience with them?

Old lady in a Corrolla... your reign has come to an end! See me and tremble!
Last edited by nathan buckley on Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

nathan buckley
Road Runner (RM)

Re: finally... the stroker lives!

Post by nathan buckley » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:23 am

Sorry guys, trying to post pics but I think the machine is against me. I'll get a video soon as well. is there a way to upload movies?

CtownRunner
GTX (RS)

Post by CtownRunner » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:18 am

Love it. Beautiful!

ILUV72RRs
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 340 Road Runner, 1972 400 Road Runner

Post by ILUV72RRs » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:49 pm

I know I've met guys over the years who claimed they had a good running stock '72 400 RR back then. But out here in southern California we used to say that the reason Chrysler didn't put the 400 engine numbers on the cars in 1972 is that they themselves were embarrased at the performance of the 400. By 1973 they put the 400 numbers on the car because all of the manufactures cars by then didn't have much pep. At the time I didn't care that my '72 400 RR was gutless because I bought it to be a nice cruiser for me, not a hot rod. It did that job well. I had other Mopars at the time I could take out if I decided I wanted to tear up the street. Gosh, I miss those days.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:41 pm

Looks good Woody...glad to see you back on here.
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

72 RR fan
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner 440 auto
1971 Road Runner 383 4spd

Post by 72 RR fan » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:39 pm

Gosh, that's a stunning pic of the nose! Nice! nice, nice nice!!!!!!!!
"Did I just buy another car?!?"

nathan buckley
Road Runner (RM)

Post by nathan buckley » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:31 pm

thanks Eric! Good to see you're back as well... I hope your health is 100%. I still regret not pouncing on Martys car. Where did it end up?

It's just coming into spring here so it's nice to look forward to all the shows I'll finally be able to get to. Can't wait to pull up next to all the camaros and mustangs and freak em all out. it's good to be the weirdo sometimes... not many of these 71s and 72s down under so I do get a lot of comments, people trying to drive into me on the road for a closer look and extended conversations anytime I stop for gas, booze or at the lights. I guess the admiration when the car is finally done secretly drives all of us car guys.

One thing on the 451, even with the 850 Ultra HP, I found the fuel economy to be pretty good, as long as you drive nice on the hwy, it's surprising respectable. At 100kmh (55mph), I'm barely revving, and it seems pretty efficient for 500hp on a big cam. Around town, another story! I have a 440 in a 77 Dodge truck with the big tyres and it sucks gas like a pig. Goes alright for a brick, but my basic analysis is that it def uses more fuel.

Now, how do I post video?

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:11 am

Thanks Woody...I'm not 100% but gaining every day, hoping to be back to work within the next month.

Marty sold his car to a flipper for a fairly low price, and it was on ebay a couple times after that for about double the purchase amount. I don't know who bought it after that, and haven't seen it since.

I'm not sure if it's possible to post videos here on the Nest, but you could post one to Youtube and add a link here. We'd love to see more photos too!
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

dangina
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 roadrunner

Post by dangina » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:47 am

have you dyno'd it yet? What does the car rev up to? I've heard the 451 strokers are high reving and it will be my next motor rebuild..
400 stroked to 470ci, 3:55 Eaton true trac, slightly upgraded suspension lol

BUILD THREAD!!!! http://www.protouringmopar.com/showthread.php?796-1971-Speedipus-Rex&highlight=speedipus

nathan buckley
Road Runner (RM)

Post by nathan buckley » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:58 am

I haven't dynoed it yet, just waiting to run it in a little more, which I'll do after the first oil change.

But it should be in the 500-550hp range (at the crank). that is if all those magazine articles dont exaggerate... which we know they dont do of course.

The reason I went 451 is that I could use off-the-shelf pistons... 471 needed customs slugs. 512 sounded like overkill. my block was 30 over already, so if you have a super clean block, maybe the 471 would work.

I was curious to know if the 451 and 471 drive any differently. But really who cares? Some people like the big numbers I suppose.

Anyway, engine builder says it should rev to something close to 6ooo from memory, so it is bit of a screamer. I dont have a tach... I will never see the full performance of the car - unless the law is on my ass.

nathan buckley
Road Runner (RM)

Post by nathan buckley » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:32 am

http://youtu.be/uHCQl8M286s

Much as I do love the sound, I do have a set of resonators about to go!

NOrrTH
GTX (RS)

Post by NOrrTH » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:29 pm

Absolutely stunning front end in black. How bout some more pictures???
'71 GTX N96

dangina
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 roadrunner

Post by dangina » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:48 pm

sounds pretty sick! what cam did you go with?
400 stroked to 470ci, 3:55 Eaton true trac, slightly upgraded suspension lol

BUILD THREAD!!!! http://www.protouringmopar.com/showthread.php?796-1971-Speedipus-Rex&highlight=speedipus