What would you do

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

moparmike
GTX (RS)

What would you do

Post by moparmike » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:33 am

I purchased a 1971 GTX a while back from an estate sale. Its a really solid car and complete with the exception of the missing 440. I was able to purchase it for a great price and I was intending on restoring it back to its original glory. Now the brother of the origianl owner who passed away has called me 3 times begging me to sell it back to him. He says the car brings back happier times spent with his brother and he would like to restore the car himself. I told him that I would think about it but if I decided to sell it back I would have to ask quite a bit more then I paid. I have a soft spot deep within that sometimes blurrs my judgement. I also own a nice 72 SSP so I don't need 2 cars but heck lots of us have more than 1 car. I really like the 71 but I can relate to this guys feelings about the 71.

Anyway WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS DO.....

What do you think a fair price would be to ask if I decide to sell it back to them.......

Thanks in advance guys and the odd mopar chicks.... :beer:
Attachments
71gtx3.jpg
71gtx3.jpg (49.35 KiB) Viewed 15145 times
Sometimes I get to feeling that if Xmas, Fathers Day and my Birthday did not exist, then aftershave too would not exist.

sdweatherman
Site Admin
My Cars: 1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1974 KB5 Plymouth Road Runner GTX Dealer Announcement car

Re: What would you do

Post by sdweatherman » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:57 am

That's a tough call. I would really try and assess the guys sincerity in this matter. If the car meant that much to him, why did he not buy it at the estate sale himself? Sounds like you got it at a very reasonable price. Is he just sore that it got away for cheap?? If you are considering selling it back, don't be afraid to ask a few thousand more than what you got it for. You have time invested in the car, along with the title transfer, tax, transport, etc. Asking a higher price will likely tell you whether he is truely interested in the car or not. And try to figure out if he truely wants to restore it in a timely fashion. Nothing would tick me off more than to sell it back and then the guys shoves it in the back yard under a tarp and it sits for eternity. Good luck with whatever you decide! I would have a very tough time giving up a nice car like that. Scott.
1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof

CtownRunner
GTX (RS)

Post by CtownRunner » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:21 am

Tough ?. Is the brother sincere and does her really have the means to restore it or at least get it back on the road. If so it begs the question why it got sold to anyone in the first place.
Sellers remorse is common but do not feel obligated to sell it back.

Take your time. What would it take to replace this car with one in similar shape. If U sell it back get a fair price for what U would have to get another is the same condition.

U can offer his brothers car back not for cash but for a similar replacement car.

U have no attachment to it so u may be OK. Finding a similar replacement is the really hard part with our cars.

Getting a fair price would the the only way I would sell it back if at all.

If U bought it on the spur of the moment just because it was too good a deal to pass up and your not really into it sell it back. But if U get excited about the car and do not want to sell it at all make sure U are OK with what ever U decide. The brother may just realize it was under sold and wants it back cheap to flip it again. U never know.

U could keep it and let the brother come over and take him for a drive once in a while to a cruise or something and he would be happy and U would be happy.

They can't get back all the stuff that was sold in the estate sale why should they expect to get the car back.

Take the brother for a cruise once in a while and keep the car. If he is sincere he will be happy with that.

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Post by moparmike » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:19 am

Great advice.....My concerns are just that....Does he truly want the car to restore? They sold it for way too cheap and I wondered if he found out later that the car was worth a lot more??? When I got the car it had all kinds of garbage on top of it. I wondered if maybe someone found out they sold it and was willing to pay market value for it.. I love the idea of asking him to provide a replacement car of equal value because that would truly let me know he was since about this one.

When I purchased my SSP it was a similar deal an estate sale....The mother was selling the car as her son had died...the difference was they actually screened the people who asked about the car because they wanted to see the car restored and enjoyed thus the reason I was able to buy it. Once a year I take the SSP over to her house and let het see whats been done to it and take her for a cruise. She lights up when she sees the car....and that it what the hobby is all about.

I really like the GTX and want to do a complete resto on it. I think it would cost the brother a lot of dough to get one in this shape if he can find one. I am going to give him that option and see what he says.
Sometimes I get to feeling that if Xmas, Fathers Day and my Birthday did not exist, then aftershave too would not exist.

moparite
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Road Runner 4speed FJ6 air grabber car. And yes i have the
build sheet to prove it. NO IT'S NOT FOR SALE!

Post by moparite » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:56 am

If the car meant that much to him, why did he not buy it at the estate sale himself?
Exactly what i was thinking. Did he give you reason or other info why he did buy it? I'd see if he knows the whereabouts of the original 440. It's a tough decision.

71440 gtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 gtx 71 340 duster
Location: I am here, or is it there? GIF image (animated, 49 frames)

Post by 71440 gtx » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:28 pm

Yeah, I think he wants it back to flip it. Like the other guy said, " how come he didn't buy it in the first place?" If it was a clear estate, the car didn't have to be sold in the first place. Don't feel any remorse. Just keep the car. We'll help you find a motor for it. As a matter of fact I know where one is right now. LOL
71 gtx 440 4speed air grabber blue on blue with white vinyl roofOption cassette player

Plymouth's gonna getcha!
There are 3 things that will live forever, cockroaches, Keith Richards, & slant 6

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Post by moparmike » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:09 pm

I find it kinda fishy that he could have spoke up and purchased the car from sister by establishing a value and giving her half...The sister probably would have just said take it. I wonder because it has benn a couple of years since I bought it. They happily took my cash with no remorse.

As for an engine I have a 392 Hemi that I am planning to rebuild and use for the 71 I have the proper adapter for the tranny to make it work.

I bet you he has the original motor or know where it is. I am more inclined to keep the car as I know that in the end it will get restored properly. Its just going to take a while as I still have a few things to do on my SSP. Besides I have a brother as well and he has done sooooo much for me. He knows a lot about these cars. He is a mechanic, bodyman, and also rebuilds air conditioning in vehicles. So if I where to do anything I would probably keep the GTX and let my brother have the SSP. He has done a lot of work on the SSP and I am sure will do most of the work on the GTX and he has never charged me a dime. Just the odd few beers and occasionally he takes it to a car show. He told me that when he drives the SSP he becomes 18 again for a while. He really wants a 68 charger but loves my SSP as well

nakita7
Road Runner (RM)

Post by nakita7 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:39 pm

These cars belong in the hands of true Mopar lovers, who will restore, enjoy, drive and keep, regardless of whether it's worth one dollar or a million dollars.

These cars do NOT belong in the hands of greedy flippers, greasy car lots, armchair 'investors', warehouses in Abu Dhabi, etc.

Find out which camp he is in...

71Beeper
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Satellite

Post by 71Beeper » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:50 am

I agree with everyone else here Mike - the best owner for that GTX is YOU. It will have a better life with you restoring it than someone else flipping it and then it dissappearing and going who knows where...

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Post by moparmike » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:46 am

Thanks everyone..........The GTX is staying put the bottom line was I remember the look on my face when I found it, then purchased it and trailored it away. When I talk to this guy I just do not get the warm and fuzzies that he really wants to restore it. No worries it will get the pampering that it deserves...I love these cars and I really want to bring this one back to its former glory.

This way when it is done I can take it to car shows and my brother can take the SSP. :beer:

Sell the GTX what was I thinking...... :lol:

sdweatherman
Site Admin
My Cars: 1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1974 KB5 Plymouth Road Runner GTX Dealer Announcement car

Post by sdweatherman » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:50 am

Mike,
I like CTownrunner's idea of coming up with a similar car for trade. If you ever have a weak moment again, that would be the way to go. If he truly wants that car, then he can find another true GTX in as good or better shape to trade with you. I'm guessing he won't go that far. It might stop the calls also. Tell him he better hurry too, before you start putting money into the car. :wink: Good luck! Scott.
1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof

1971SSP
GTX (RS)

Post by 1971SSP » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:11 am

I agree, keep the car! :D If you do bend, the best idea was the one about having the guy find you another GTX in the same or better condition. Not to keep repeating what others have already said, but if you sold this back and the guy just flipped it or put a tarp on it, it would make my blood boil :mad: . If the guy is giving you that gut feeling somethings not right, do the right thing and keep/restore it. Don't let him get to you. :)
Brian
1971 Satellite Sebring Plus