Another New Member...

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

GTXplicity
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: '71 Plymouth GTX

Another New Member...

Post by GTXplicity » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:55 pm

Hey there - I just joined the board and thought I’d go ahead and introduce myself. My name is Alex and I live in the artic tundra known as Minnesota. Through an insanely fortunate turn of events, I was able to score one of my dream cars this past fall: a ’71 Plymouth GTX. The car was owned by my cousin-in-law since 1978, and was driven 3,500 miles from ‘78 to the day it rolled off the truck in front of my house. Ridiculous! The GTX currently has 39,xxx original miles, but has a pretty interesting story behind it, and one that has left it much more unoriginal than the low miles would suggest.

To my knowledge, I’m the fourth owner. According to my cousin in-law, Greg, the car was originally sold to a dairy farmer in Chino, CA, who then sold it to Greg’s uncle in the early 70’s. Said uncle immediately put a six pack on it, painted it black, added white Mohave inserts to the black vinyl seats, added some other "interesting" interior touches and went racing. He blew the original tranny in the mid 70’s and tossed in a built 727 from a ’68 GTX, which is still in the car today. Greg bought it in ‘78, drove it on one 2,400 mile trip and then pretty much parked it for 3 decades. Seven years ago, he had the car repainted black (I yelled at him for that - shoulda gone back to green!) and that’s when things took an ugly turn. Although the paint is pretty nice (especially for black) and the body is as clean as a 39,xxx mile CA car should be, the body shop got more than Greg’s money - they took his 440. Yes, the body shop was kind enough to swap engines (one of those notorious “hidden charges“), replacing the numbers matching 440 with a 440 out of a ’69 Imperial. Sad thing is Greg never knew - when he first called me about the car being for sale he told me the engine was numbers matching. I had him run the numbers on the block and the rest is history. Sure, it’s still a 440 and it runs strong, so I’m not complaining, but a real blow to the sack nonetheless. Buuuut it’s not the end of the world: the paint, interior, tranny and motor are all altered, and the car is thankfully very clean, so it’s pretty hard for me to devalue the car by building up the motor, for example. In any light, I’ve done a bit of work to it already - replaced the carb (the old AFB was junk), put in a new Mallory Unilite dizzy, full tune up, new wheels and tires, painted the grill…just trying to correct what I can. I've got a Hughes cam waiting to go in and a lot of interior odds and ends to fix. Greg replaced the tank, gas lines, brake lines and other crap when the body was repainted, so the car drives out nice.

I’m very new to Mopars and I know there are some extremely knowledgeable guys on this site, so I’m really excited to meet all of you. I’m also on FBBO (which is also a killer site) but the nest seems more specialized. Anyway, that was a novel…here are some pics of the car when I first got it and some more recent pics before I put it away for the winter… :beer:

And here are a few pics of the car now - new wheels/tires (the old tires had baaaad flat spots), repainted grill, purple 80's window tint removed, new 'GTX' decal, etc...

bruce
Site Admin

Re: Another New Member...

Post by bruce » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:10 pm

Welcome to the Nest! VERY cool car and tough story about the numbers 440. Love the new wheel and tire combo too... :beer:
Bruce Anliker

road chicken
GTX (RS)

Post by road chicken » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:29 pm

Welcome, always good to see new peeps! Especially here in the midwest. Nice choice on the work so far. The car looks much better! The bodyshop incident sucks but I wonder if they weren't out messing around and blew the engine. There really isn't a huge difference from a 71 440 and the 69 other on than the cam and manifolds.
4th generation B bodys- there is no substitute.
68 383, Street Demon 750, RPM top end,484/284/108 poo poo cam "-5 spd 4:10 SG, 4whl disk, Helwig Anti-Sway, Poly bushings,Firm Feel Box, HD Linkage, 1" t-bars, 7 leafs Springs

nakita7
Road Runner (RM)

Post by nakita7 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:47 pm

Nice car, but I agree...should be green!!!

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:54 pm

Welcome to the Nest! Nice looking car....what color of green was it originally?
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:14 pm

Nice looking car!Welcome!
"Sunny D"-1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring With Sundance Packaging

1972RM23
GTX (RS)

Post by 1972RM23 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:22 pm

Beautiful car!
Welcome to the Nest!
1972 Road Runner N96 EV2

transamman
Road Runner (RM)
My Cars: 72 satellite/roadrunner clone

Post by transamman » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:25 pm

Hi Alex! Welcome. Super car... I like the way that the modern radio and gauges are mounted below the dash. It looks really neat and well executed in the photo with the woodgrain. The bonus is that you can easily remove it, if you are after originality. I know that you can't wait for some decent driving days next year!!! Minnesota- Brrrrrrrr!!!!!

71GTX
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 GTX

Post by 71GTX » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:31 am

Greetings from NE Florida
It's a fine line between a hobby & mental illness!

69 RoadRunner (clone)
70 Cuda 383 4 speed (project)
70 Cuda convertible 340 4 speed (project)
70 Barracuda (project)
71 GTX 440 4 speed (project)
72 Cuda 340 3 speed (project)

71Beeper
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Satellite

Post by 71Beeper » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:06 am

Greetings from Canada! Welcome to the nest.......beautifull GTX!!

71GTX
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 GTX

Post by 71GTX » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:58 am

LOVE the old wheels....
It's a fine line between a hobby & mental illness!

69 RoadRunner (clone)
70 Cuda 383 4 speed (project)
70 Cuda convertible 340 4 speed (project)
70 Barracuda (project)
71 GTX 440 4 speed (project)
72 Cuda 340 3 speed (project)

GTXplicity
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: '71 Plymouth GTX

Post by GTXplicity » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:19 am

Thanks for all the kind words guys, I really appreciate it :beer:

RoadChicken – thanks man, it sounds like the body shop was extremely shady. Apparently they didn’t fix two minor issues the first time Greg picked the car up. When he brought it back for the shop to make things right, they were already out of business. That was 8 days after he initially picked the car up. Good times. But yeah, the standard ’69 440 still kicks out some juice. As it sits, it’s got headers, an old school Torker intake, electronic ignition and new Eddy carb – not breaking any speed records, but still fun to drive.

Eric - The paint code was FJ6 - sassy grass. It's still all over the car. It was never stripped, just painted over. Pull the carpet, under dash, over spray on sub frame, etc...it's all green!

Transam – Yeah, I was torn on the “Waldoch conversion" style woodgrain addition. It was definitely functional, but once I discovered Custom Auto Sound radio’s (new units that fit in the stock location, have aux input jacks, etc), I decided it’d be best to take the wood panel out and clean/restore the dash, and throw in one of those Custom Auto Sound units. I mounted the oil and temp gauges in individual pods where the tape player used to be, and it looks pretty clean.

And 71GTX – if you love the slot mags enough to write “love” in CAPS then you should buy em!!! :D seriously though, they are for sale if you or anyone you know would like some clean 15x7 Indy’s. And I’m picking up what you’re putting down – I got plenty of crap for abandoning the old school slot mags over on FBBO. I like the mags, but got an amazing deal on the new wheels, and I like the look.

Thanks again for the comments guys – it’s great to finally join the site.

nakita7
Road Runner (RM)

Post by nakita7 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:57 am

Even though I love most greens, I am the biggest lime green fan on the planet...you see where I'm going here buddy.... :D

(the crowd slowly chants); Paint, paint, paint...

redline337
Satellite Sebring (RH)
My Cars: 71 Satellite Sebring RH

Post by redline337 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:13 pm

I like the new wheels a lot! What brand, size, and tire size are they? I'm gonna have to agree with the green. I love a black car, but Sassy Grass is a great color. My wife has a 74 Duster (that's halfway through being restored ) that's sassy grass. (i know that's not correct for 74, and neither is the 340 she has for it :) )

bandman1971
Road Runner (RM)
My Cars: possibly buying a butterscotch 1971 RR 383, automatic on the floor.

Post by bandman1971 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:13 pm

Welcome to the club my neighbor to the west.... Looks like a fun ride.