Advice when storing a car

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Advice when storing a car

Post by moparmike » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:24 pm

Hey does anybody have any tip for keeping rodents away from your car when it is in storage for the winter
Someone told me to put down mothballs around the perimeter of the car I am not sure about that working but any suggestions would be appreciated :beer:
Sometimes I get to feeling that if Xmas, Fathers Day and my Birthday did not exist, then aftershave too would not exist.

CtownRunner
GTX (RS)

Re: Advice when storing a car

Post by CtownRunner » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:04 pm

Moth balls and lots of them help greatly. I place small foam coffee cups in the trunk in the front and back on the car floor in front of the seats. on the dash. In the engine compartment. U name it and I try to place moth balls nearby. Had a problem in my pop up camper. Got the moth ball treatment and no more mice.

Had use Moth Ball in the RR and never had a mouse problem.

A few traps baited with peanut butter just to be sure wouldn't hurt either.

Serious Satellite
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1973 Plymouth Roadrunner (R.I.P.) totalled by my younger brother
1974 Plymouth Satellite Coupe (R.I.P.) sold to my other brother, died an ignoble death
1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring (Rusted In Place) sent to crusher
1984 Dodge Ram Prospector D250, 360 ci engine, hooker headers, edelbrock 4 barrel carb, 1991 grill replacement

Post by Serious Satellite » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:54 pm

Set the mouse traps in front, and behind, each tire. The tire is a pretty normal point of entry for rodents, the BF Goodrich's make excellent ladders. A mouse trap behind, and in front of each tire kind of makes that a bit more ...dangerous for the rodents. :beer:

And I agree ....moth balls are pretty helpful.

moparite
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Road Runner 4speed FJ6 air grabber car. And yes i have the
build sheet to prove it. NO IT'S NOT FOR SALE!

Post by moparite » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:21 am

Pay attention to where they get in the garage. Usually on the bottom side of the garage door of small crack or break in the block somewhere. Put traps and rodenticide on each side of each door. Then put some rodenticide about 4-6 feet apart along the perimeter walls. Don't use to much or they will stock pile it some where for later. Keep boxes paper and anything they can use as bedding/nest material off the floor both inside and outside of the garage. No one wants to have a Road Runner motel but i don't want them in my garage period! I don't want to see rodent turds on my work bench or in my tool box.

fiddlerfingers
Road Runner (RM)
My Cars: 71 Roadrunner
67 Charger

Post by fiddlerfingers » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:15 am

Dryer Sheets. They smell great and the rodents hate them...

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Post by moparmike » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:57 pm

Thanks nesters I will try all the suggestions last year a mouse decided to nest under the hood and low and behold I ended up with wiring shorts. I did hear to use dryer sheets and heck the car will smell fresh and clean :lol:

I've tried drier sheets with no luck. In fact, I found evidence of the mice ON the drier sheets. Try leaving a radio on in the garage. They don't seem to like the noise.
Sometimes I get to feeling that if Xmas, Fathers Day and my Birthday did not exist, then aftershave too would not exist.

mikedonovan
Road Runner (RM)
My Cars: 1971 ssp-rr / not a clone 2 vin plates Y39 SPECIAL ORDER

Post by mikedonovan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:20 am

I USE A MOTION DETECTION LASER>>> OR PLUG THE HOLES???
mike donovan