Need advice from the Nest

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

rr6pak
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Tor-Red RR

Need advice from the Nest

Post by rr6pak » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:27 am

O.K. Nest heres my story. Need some advice on my car and it might be long so bear with me.

About to pull the trigger and have my car done by someone that was referred by another member (THANKS, BTW). Wanted to do it myself but hard to do it when I'm currently not in the states.

71 RR Tor-Rred with the same bucket seats, 383, A/C, factory Am/Fm with cassette. My car will basically be almost 100% factory except here's where the advice comes in. The 383 is not original, considering a crate or something, tranny is original. A/C compressor gone but have the box restored.

Here is what I need help in determining what to do. What suggestions on a crate motor would you go for? Several companies look appealling on motors. I want to use the factory dual snorkel air cleaner as well. Considering a Sanden compressor from Bouchillon to use instead of the big factory unit and to convert to R-134. With the motor, I want to get a overdrive for the engine/tranny combo to drive on the highway if I wanted. What to do with the rear end-change to a Moser or Strange with the eninge/tranny combo? Finally, I want to convert from the drums to disc brakes. This car has been in my family for almost 30 years now.

I know this might be a tall order to fill but what the heck. Thinking of starting the project in June. I'm just stoked about finally getting to do this and to get my car back on the road. BTW the car in my picture is close to what it looked like. Yes, I'll post pictures of her coming back to life

Thanks in advance!

CtownRunner
GTX (RS)

Re: Need advice from the Nest

Post by CtownRunner » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:42 am

What are your goals for the car?
I mean engine wise especially.
A 383 built with a few mods can really produce HP.
What crate motors are U thinking of to compare apples to apples.

A 440 is always a nice option. Is that what your thinking crate motor wise.

With talk of AC and OD tranny gears highway cruisin and comfort seems to be the goal.
Am I right?

A rear end change may not be necessary. New gears in an 8 3/4 may be all u need

It sounds like one hell of a car when ur done!

ryangtogtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 GTX

Post by ryangtogtx » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:16 am

Is it your goal to keep everything stock appearing? If you're planning to use it as a cruiser, I agree that you wouldn't need a new rear. However, if you have to have one, my dad put a Strange 60 in his GTO, but they are spendy and it's money that could be spent on another part of the car. Also, Corey would be able to give you good advice with regard to the engine. A buddy of his works at Wheeler Racing Engines and they build great engines to whatever specs you're looking for. They built our engine too. You may want to use a shop that is local to the resto shop so that it makes it easier to solve any problems if any arise. It's a small luxury you don't get when you buy a crate motor. If you have to have a crate motor, I can order one from Mopar Performance for a good price through my dad's dealership. :beer:

rr6pak
GTX (RS)

Post by rr6pak » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:10 am

Thanks fir the replies. And for anyone else that wants to throw a word or two in, have at it. Thanks for the info, Ryan. I didn't know that there was a engine shop near. I'll check that out. I was mainly wondering about the 8 3/4 will handle a motor with 450+ hp, durability wise. Again, as long as I can switchfrom drums to disc, have a dependable running combo of the engine and tranny to cruise with and switch to a modern A/C compressor, life will be good for me. What is everyones thought about putting an overdrive on it? Other than the things mentioned, my car will be otherwise original.

Thanks all

gcoupe72
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Road Runner originally equipped as lemon twist,400,4spd,air grabber,performance axle pkg.,bk. interior.

Post by gcoupe72 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:36 am

Second that on considering using a local shop. A very smart person told me years ago, to think about what happens when there's a problem with a long-distance-purchased major (read costly to ship) component.
I countered with " but a local shop may not be helpful either". He responded with "yeah, but if you're not satisfied, you can always throw it through their front window!, you can't easily do that if they're hundreds of miles away"
And they will know this too.
Also, it sounds like you're building a real "driver", that's great! Some of these cars you read about with huge big blocks,no matter how cool they are, may not be what you want to go on a nice road trip with.
A thoughtfully built B or RB engine can get 15-16mpg, even without overdrive .
Sounds like it's gonna be cool!

rr6pak
GTX (RS)

Post by rr6pak » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:45 am

Well I'm suffering a little medical setback right now. I'm bound and determined to bounce back regardless and continue with the car. I'll be contacting the shop soon to go over some details on things. I'll keep the Nest posted

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Post by moparmike » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:09 am

I installed a 440 with lots of torque in my 72 SSP and the car loves it as does its driver :) so you should have no issues with the 8 3/4. I have found that even for just cruising the gas mileage is pretty good in fact I do not see a big difference between the 440 and the 318 I think a finally tuned newer engine eats less gas then a tired old small block and it seems as though it drives a lot smoother with the 440 anyway
Sometimes I get to feeling that if Xmas, Fathers Day and my Birthday did not exist, then aftershave too would not exist.

ryangtogtx
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 GTX

Post by ryangtogtx » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:01 pm

rr6pak wrote:Well I'm suffering a little medical setback right now. I'm bound and determined to bounce back regardless and continue with the car. I'll be contacting the shop soon to go over some details on things. I'll keep the Nest posted
I wish you a fast recovery. :beer:

rr6pak
GTX (RS)

Post by rr6pak » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:14 am

Thanks Ryan

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:01 pm

ryangtogtx wrote:
rr6pak wrote:Well I'm suffering a little medical setback right now. I'm bound and determined to bounce back regardless and continue with the car. I'll be contacting the shop soon to go over some details on things. I'll keep the Nest posted
I wish you a fast recovery. :beer:
X2
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

moparite
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Road Runner 4speed FJ6 air grabber car. And yes i have the
build sheet to prove it. NO IT'S NOT FOR SALE!

Post by moparite » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:32 am

X3 on the recovery. As for the overdrive you where thinking about, I am a big fan of them. It sucks doing 65 @ 3K. The best way(i think)would be to get a gear vendors unit that goes on the back on your 727B. The A500 and A518 OD tranz can be moded to to fit and handle the power of a big block. This is a more pricey and involved option. I don't know how much driving you plan on doing or what gear you are going with but you might want to look into it.

http://www.gearvendors.com/

Diriccatiticka
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Plymouth Roadrunner

Post by Diriccatiticka » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:10 pm

I also run an 8 3/4" with my 440 and have no problems. I'm running a pretty heavily modified engine and a HARD shifting 727 with a 3500 stall. Usually 4 speed Hemi and Six Pak cars came equipped with the Dana 60. I run a 4.10 gear with an Auburn differential, so that I can guarantee will work. If you plan on using a trans brake, I'd recommend upgrading then. Until then, my opinion stands that these 8 3/4" rear ends aren't as weak as people think they are.
Last edited by Diriccatiticka on Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'72 Road Runner
Currently Engineering New Setup! 8)

rr6pak
GTX (RS)

Post by rr6pak » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:55 pm

Just a little update on my car:
Just happened to find a shop by chance. Heck, I never knew the place even existed til someone refered me to them and boy sure glad they did. This shop is mainly a Mopar shop. I went there last Friday and there was 3 RR, 2, SuperBee's, 1 Cuda, and 2 Challengers. There was also two Mustangs and a Impala there as well.
Right in the showroom there is a one owner '67 Dodge Coronet R/T, 426 Hemi and a four speed :D . Turns out the original owner bought it in 66. Tore the car apart to get it repainted in '84. The guy went trough two divorces and he even kept the car although in pieces. He took it to this shop to have them paint it and put it back together. The car ihas been sitting in the showroom for months now cause the owner had a stroke. Then when they thought he was getting better and just within the last month they thought he was coming to get the car, he has another stroke. Now the shop dont know if he will ever come and get it (no one has driven the car). If the original owner pass away, he has one daughter. BTW-the daughter has a Challenger, 440 Six pack convertible :D
The owner of the shop came and looked at my car today. He commented on how good she looked, although dusty. He's going to put some numbers together and let me know in a day or so. I'm hoping to get it in the shop soon. It will be this one or another one that I first was going to take it to. I was in hog heaven seeing all these Mopars he was working on. I'll keep everyone posted, if interested

CtownRunner
GTX (RS)

Post by CtownRunner » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:32 am

I for one would like to be updated with pics if poss and all the details.
sounds like $ fun!