Newb that loves his '71 SSP

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

EDGEFIND
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 71 Satellite Sebring Plus

Newb that loves his '71 SSP

Post by EDGEFIND » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:59 am

Howdy, folks. I figured I'd introduce myself. I was directed over here from the cuda-challenger boards quite some time ago and have been lurking ever since. Unfortunately, I kept having technical difficulties and couldn't sign on until recently. Anyway, a brief history:

As a kid I used to sit plastered to the tv watching Dukes of Hazzard thinking how cool those cars were. Unlike most, however, I fell in love with Daisy's '71 Satellite that she drove in the first season or so. The General Lee rocked and all, but for me, there was just something about her car, kind of like the unsung hero...until they destroyed it. When I was 13 (in '90), my dad made sure that my first car would be the main focus. After searching a while, it came down to my love for the B-Bodies. E-Bodies, as much as I loved them, were my dad's thing so I needed to be different. Besides, I still wanted Daisy's Satellite. It came down to a local '72 Charger and a '71 Satellite in PA, both 318 cars, and of course, the Satellite won. At 14, I was in heaven and had big plans for the car. I worked delivering papers, cleaning people's garages and other odd jobs of that nature to save money to put towards the car. Unfortunately, I was so busy working, as was my dad, we never really got to work on it as we had planned. I loved the look of the '71 RoadRunners so I decided that I wanted a clone so I scraped together enough money to get a new hood from the Mopar Nats, a cheap paint job and stripe kit. It was done and I drove it during the spring/summer months through my junior and senior years of high school. I loved it and was one of the only kids in school with his own classic car. Unfortunately, I had no garage to keep it in so it was exposed to the irratic elements of Ohio's seasons during those years and was even more neglected when I moved away to college and eventually started working. Between the years of weathering and cheap paint job/poor body work, the car lost. After my dad passed away, my mom decided to sell our old house and I had to get the cars out of there. I tinkered on my Satellite for a few days to get her started and was able to sneak it over to my house and I parked it in the pole barn where it would sit and soak up moisture for another 8 years until I had the time and money to get the floor finished. The floor is now finished, but the years have been unkind and the dirt floor soaked up the moisture like there was no tomorrow only to destroy the gas tank and build up the rust. I don't have the time or money to put anything into it at the moment and am torn on its' future. It's my first car and I am still in love with its' lines so the idea of parting with it only depresses me. I need to read these boards to remind me of the future it could have so my son may enjoy it when he gets older.

Anyway, here are some OLD pics:
Pic1: My other project, my dad's '73 Challenger
Pic2: My '71 after we brought it home
Pic3: My senior prom in '94
Pic4: My '71 after I had the stripe kit put on in '92
Pic5: My '71 before I put some Keystones on it

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Newb that loves his '71 SSP

Post by Eric » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:32 am

Welcome to the nest!
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

72Satellite440
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Plymouth Sebring plus

Post by 72Satellite440 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:56 pm

Welcome- Sad story not being able to work on it much - but heres hoping you save her for the future so either you or your son can once again drive it-

72Satellite440-Dan
Last edited by 72Satellite440 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
72-SaTeLliTe440-Dan

sdweatherman
Site Admin
My Cars: 1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1974 KB5 Plymouth Road Runner GTX Dealer Announcement car

Post by sdweatherman » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:54 pm

Hey fellow 71SSP owner. Dont give up on it! I have very little time to work on my car also with the job and family, but I find time once in a while to go out in the garage and complete a small task. A resto/refurb cant be done overnight. Try and set aside some time, an hour or two, each week - and get out there and take care of a task or two. I have been at my project for 4 years, and I am just at the point of doing the body work on the shell. Just make a conscience effort to set aside a little time now and then and do something. Eventually you will get there. I find working on my car is a great sanity break from the everyday hustle. Check out my progress on cardomain.com and good luck with your Satty.
1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof

did76satellite
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 1972 plymouth satellite sebring

Post by did76satellite » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:56 pm

Hi from Spain
Your story seems to film, and I tell you that you never sell it, unless you were very necessary
I wanted this car since I saw in a movie 20 years ago, when I had internet, I started to look, now that I have, sometimes I do not think so.
consevra your ssp
Greetings
My hobby...my Passion...My Plymouth

71Beeper
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Satellite

Post by 71Beeper » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:18 pm

As a newbie Satellite owner myself, don't give up.
one day it will be complete.
I too have a long road ahead of me.

EDGEFIND
Satellite Coupe (RL)
My Cars: 71 Satellite Sebring Plus

Post by EDGEFIND » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:11 am

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. I appreciate it and must say that looking at all of your rides inspires me with ideas and plenty of hope. Looking through your build threads and before & after pics show me the realm of multiple possibilities. I think I just get frustrated with the lack of money and time as do most. These cars are simply beutiful and it would take a seriously major financial issue for me to give mine up. I hope it never comes to that though.

71GTX
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 71 GTX

Post by 71GTX » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:26 am

greetings and welcome to the board....

I hope that selling is not an option that you are considering....if so, from experience, I can tell you that you may regret it....the car owes you nothing right now and if you can get it and keep it out of the weather, you may be able to attend to the restoration of this gem in the near future....I too, had a 71 (though a RR, high option car) right out of High School....sold it in 92 and regret it to this day!

Anyways, hope that you find yourself a home here and get the fever once again....
It's a fine line between a hobby & mental illness!

69 RoadRunner (clone)
70 Cuda 383 4 speed (project)
70 Cuda convertible 340 4 speed (project)
70 Barracuda (project)
71 GTX 440 4 speed (project)
72 Cuda 340 3 speed (project)

DixieSatellite
Satellite Sebring Plus (RP)

Post by DixieSatellite » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:50 am

I am just getting around to completing my '72 SSP after 20 years. I did not want / expect it to take 20 years, but life got in the way and changes plans. It only got all the major mechanical work done in 2009 - before that, it had been stored since 1992 w/ very little useful work done. Now it has a pumped (numbers matching & factory correct) 400 engine (30% power increase / full transmission rebuild / full suspension / rebuild / engine bay / undercarriage detailing / factory air / hi-perf cooling system. The V8 burble and crackle through the factory twin system is like a symphony. It goes in for full-interior this May and on to finish up the bodywork in 2012 where I will try to drive it to Chryslers at Carlisle.

Don't worry how long it takes - just keep planning and biding your time. My '72 SSP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_X67-fp35Q

Ian B.
'72 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus 400-4BBL

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Post by moparmike » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:44 am

Welcome to the nest you will find it a treasure trove of usefull info to help you along the way. Just take your time because anything worth doing is worth doing right, my advice is....don't rush.....even though my 72 looks complete there is always something to improve upon every year..but that is the joy of owning one of these cars you get to see it look better every year even though some of the things you do are never seen by anyone other then you but working on a project and watching it come together is a special feeling...you go from frustration to elation in no time at all. Anyway go out to her right now and do a little something because it will make you smile with pride. :beer:
Attachments
72sebringbyrghiselli_4.jpg
72sebringbyrghiselli_4.jpg (58.21 KiB) Viewed 13336 times
Sometimes I get to feeling that if Xmas, Fathers Day and my Birthday did not exist, then aftershave too would not exist.

bruce
Site Admin

Post by bruce » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:39 pm

Welcome!
Bruce Anliker

sdweatherman
Site Admin
My Cars: 1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus factory Sunroof
1974 KB5 Plymouth Road Runner GTX Dealer Announcement car

Post by sdweatherman » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:42 pm

Another thing you might want to do is locate your nearest Mopar club and become a member. You will get to know other mopar owners, and start building your mopar knowledge. You will find that your fellow club members will be more than happy to search for parts, rebuild a transmission, or even give you a hand with your project. Through these relationships, you will most likely get good bargains on parts and help - making your resto/refurb that much more affordable.The constant support will also help keep you motivated. As for the money issue, I am funding my project on only 80 bucks a month. There are a lot of things you can with the car for little or no money at all. Start a project fund. Sacrifice a couple runs to McDonalds each month, and start setting aside that money for your car. If you cant do a whole lot of work to the car each month, then you should have several dollars saved before you actually need to purchase something. Just get out there and start doing a little something each month. Good Luck! Oh yeah, if you start in on it, make sure you take lots of digital pics for reference. And get a hold of some sandwich bags, a roll of masking tape, and a good permanent marker to bag and label all the little parts and pieces you take off of the car. You will thank yourself 10 years from now when you are trying to put all your parts back on the car!
Scott. 8)
1971 GY8 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus
1971 GB7 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof
1972 EV2 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus w/factory Sunroof

Diriccatiticka
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 Plymouth Roadrunner

Post by Diriccatiticka » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:02 pm

It's never too late. Good to see you still have some inspiration for it. I know mine isn't immaculate, and barely show worthy...But I drive the heck out of it!
'72 Road Runner
Currently Engineering New Setup! 8)

rr6pak
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1971 Tor-Red RR

Post by rr6pak » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:46 am

Welcome to the Nest

Hugh
Satellite Sebring (RH)
My Cars: 1973 Plymouth Satellite Sebring 318/904/8.25

Post by Hugh » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:35 pm

You Really should keep the car! I love the pics of it during your senior prom! You should be proud of the job you did with it. I know I would be! If you sell this car, when times are better you will buy another car to fix up and regret not having the car your heart was in. Unlike me you've had the foresight to hold onto your car. I also liked Daisy's car on the Dukes and there was a 1973 RR parked in a field behind my parent's house that was sold before I could come up with the money. It was red with a white stripe and bucket seat interior. A local high school boy bought the car and promptly wrapped it around a telephone pole. I still have never forgotten that car. The fact yours is a SSP is even more special. Thanks for the story and pics, I've enjoyed them.