What's The Story W/ This SSP?

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

ILUV72RRs
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 340 Road Runner, 1972 400 Road Runner

Re: What's The Story W/ This SSP?

Post by ILUV72RRs » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:06 pm

I tend to agree with you, Mike. But let's face it, my friend. You lucked out on the GTX. All of us would love to be that lucky! Would you of paid 10 or 12 grand for the GTX if they had asked that? Reminds of many years ago when muscle Mopars were taking off big time in value. A local group of the WPC Chrysler members out here (older guys - older than me!) were moaning and growning because no one wanted to pay big bucks for just regular Mopars. My friend Joe finally blew a gasket, and yelled at them. Telling them the problem was because they were part of the problem. They didn't want to pay good money either for a regular Mopar. So how would you expect the value of the cars to go up? If they weren't willing themselves to step up? They also didn't want to pay good money for a part to restore their car. They'd rather pay less for a rusty part, and clean it up. Then to pay a high price for a mint NOS part. The days of investing money into a car, and expecting to make a profit are pretty much gone. Which is what the problem is with the seller of this particular car. As for the '70 wing on the trunk. Doesn't suprise me. As I've seen a number of early '71 E-bodies that left the factory with a '70 wing instead of a '71 wing. It was just Chrysler's way of using them up.

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Post by moparmike » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:36 pm

You are wise my friend and you are correct thanks for opening up my eyes I was very lucky to find the GTX for cheap and Yes I would have paid 8-10 for it because I have always wanted an original GTX and could never find a decent platform to work with. I sometimes forget how hard it is to find a good 71-72

I retract my views on that car because like myself their is someone out there who like many of us is looking for a solid platform to work with I should know better.
Lord knows I have seen junk being sold for close to his price actually it is a pretty neat car to pick up.

:beer:
Sometimes I get to feeling that if Xmas, Fathers Day and my Birthday did not exist, then aftershave too would not exist.

Dave
Site Admin
My Cars: 71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)
71 Satellite Sebring Plus (383/2bbl/auto)

Post by Dave » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:03 pm

Mike, I hope you didn't take my comments as directed specifically at you. That wasn't my intent at all. Your GTX is an amazing find, and I couldn't be more excited for you with the deal you got on it! Like you've observed, it may have tainted your views on this one a bit. Admittedly mine probably are as well based on the SSP in my garage.

My SSP isn't a HIP car (mine is GW3, full green top & interior) and doesn't have the spoiler package. A numbers matching 383-2bbl car, mine is just as solid as the EV2 car. My car is optioned a bit better - buckets / console and A/C. I picked mine up back in 2004 for $3500 and general consensus at the time was I scored a pretty good deal on it. Outside of the emotional / sentimental attachment I have to the car, I think to myself would I let it go today for $6000 or less? No way! It would take at least $7000-$8000 to even begin to get my attention. Simply put - cars this clean just don't exist anymore, especially in mostly unmolested condition.

You make a valid point about buying that SSP at 8K and then have to put another 10-15K into a car that would really only be worth about 15K total when done. However, compare that to starting with a much rougher car, one that needs both quarters, floors, trunk and lots of work everywhere else. Sure, you might pick it up for $2000, but you'd have to put 20K+ into it to get it to the same point of really only being worth that 15K.
Dave
Founder - The Road Runner Nest

71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)
71 Satellite Sebring Plus (383/2bbl/auto)

fourforty6pac
GTX (RS)

Post by fourforty6pac » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:24 am

I think he is about $1500 to $2000 off in his price but , it's a nice car. I'm waiting for an email from him. He doesn't seem to motivated to sell. I think it would be a cool car to own. It's just a bad time to dish out a nice handful of cash, but if the price is right that makes it all better!

1971SSP
GTX (RS)

Post by 1971SSP » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:24 am

First I will say what I said in my previous post, I love SSP's! But I agree with fourforty6pac, this car is about $2000 or so high, at least in my opinion. Nice car, color, BB, and rare option....but still high, and its still a SSP with a very limited ceiling price. That was the problem with the Kay Steven car (that was me that mentioned the Stevens car). I love that car to, but when he had it on eBay a few years ago, the reserve was pretty steep for a SSP. It would be a tough car to resell. I do hear you about having a nice clean car to start with, and I hope that who ever buys this SSP, they are able to restore it. It would take a good amount of dough for me to part with my SSP....I would'nt even take 10K :shock: ...emotional attachment makes car owners crazy.
Attachments
100_553577667.jpg
100_553577667.jpg (108.87 KiB) Viewed 6212 times
Brian
1971 Satellite Sebring Plus

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Post by moparmike » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:33 am

I agree with you I would not even look at an offer of less then 10 for my 72 SSP and even that would only get my attention and only because it would be just enough to entertain doing up the 71 GTX project.

I love SSP's hence the reason I have one and would have a hard time in letting it go.
But for the right amount I would certainly consider it. I started with a really good platform and have steadily spent $$ each year improving what I can. Besides I still love the 2nd looks you get from people who are not sure what it is.....I have had people mistake it for a Cuda, challenger. I love it when you go out driving in an SSP and when you stop at a red light the car beside you steadily moves up to check the front end out to see what it is...... Never worry about me taking something the wrong way because I really do not, I respect everyone's opinions it is the only way to further your knowledge and hey its ok to disagree once in a while... is'nt it ?
:beer: Cheers to all that own any model of these fine cars,
Attachments
72sebringbyrghiselli_4.jpg
72sebringbyrghiselli_4.jpg (58.21 KiB) Viewed 6208 times
Sometimes I get to feeling that if Xmas, Fathers Day and my Birthday did not exist, then aftershave too would not exist.