Satellite Sebring Plus (RP)

What's The Story W/ This SSP?

Post by DixieSatellite » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:38 am

'72 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus 400-4BBL

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Re: What's The Story W/ This SSP?

Post by moparmike » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:47 am

Now if you saw this at a car show would you immediately call it a FAKE or a clone ???? What is this car worth restored given that it is a 1 of 1? I am thinking of bidding on it you can never have to many projects......right. :lol:
Sometimes I get to feeling that if Xmas, Fathers Day and my Birthday did not exist, then aftershave too would not exist.

bruce
Site Admin

Post by bruce » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:58 am

Man, I like that car... my favorite color on a '71. Looks fairly solid too. Thank goodness I don't have any $$$ or I'd bid on it. :D
Bruce Anliker

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:22 pm

Last I heard of the car was a couple years ago. A moparts member owned it at that time. While it's very cool, I get a little tired of everyone thinking they have a one of one car and that makes it worth gold. Notice this statement in the auction
"The car is for sale locally and I reserve the right to sell it, and end the auction. I reserve this right because I understand the rarity of this car and that at first time on market it may not bring the activity or attention I'm expecting for the 1 of 1 value of the car. Bid to win."
Maybe an option showing up on a hemi or 440+6 car that wasn't supposed to be allowed would add a lot of value to the car, but I can't see this one bringing much more than a standard Satellite.
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

ILUV72RRs
GTX (RS)
My Cars: 1972 340 Road Runner, 1972 400 Road Runner

Post by ILUV72RRs » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:52 pm

When you get right down to it. In a way all of our cars are rare. As they didn't make 10 thousand of each with all of the same options and color. So they're all unique in their own special way. That's why I got out of the car hobby for awhile. I got tired of the guys with the signs at shows pointing out the fact something to the effect of, "My car is the only one that ever left the factory with pink radio knobs." I had to bite my lip. Because I wanted to go up to them and say: "Did it ever cross your mind that the reason you have the only one. Was because no one else that whole year wanted one!" I was at a show once out here where on the guy's sign it said it was something like one of "only" (in bold print) 73 Superbirds built that way. Guess it made him feel special.

BigBlock
Satellite Sebring (RH)
My Cars: 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner Clone
(Satellite Sebring Plus)

Post by BigBlock » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:18 pm

You guys are awesome! I love this site!

1971SSP
GTX (RS)

Post by 1971SSP » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:09 am

I love SSP's, so of course I love the car. Great color and its a 383. But I'm with Eric on this one...it should go for a little more any other 383 SSP in the same condition. Restored it would be kinda cool to have, but just how much would "kinda cool" cost. Reading the sellers auction, I have a feeling this guy watched the car auctions on the speed channel one time too many. This car reminds me of the Kay Stevens car (71 SSP), both cool cars, but they are both Satellite's, so the ceiling price is only so high.

This whole thing made me start thinking...My 71 SSP was a late production car, and came from the factory with a 72 style grille (all silver), and 72 style headliner...I better call Galen Govier tomorrow :roll:
Brian
1971 Satellite Sebring Plus

Smellslike1974
GTX (RS)

Post by Smellslike1974 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:06 pm

I agree.All of our cars are rare,obsolete,one off.Not one Is the same.Maybe have the same options,but the screws are always different. :beer:
"Sunny D"-1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring With Sundance Packaging

quapman
GTX (RS)

Post by quapman » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:54 pm

It's an early VIN, so possibly a pilot car or an exec ordered it. Kinda like a COPO in the GM world.

Like you guys stated above....but so what?

I noticed the copy reads "GayLen's assistant had never blah, blah..." I guess GayLen only gets excited these days when the check clears.

Still a cool car, but not gold plated.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:07 pm

Actually, the first day of production was 802 and this car is about a month later. No way it was a pilot car. I don't recall seeing a door VIN tag like that before, but I'd have to look through my photos to be sure.
AKA Butterscotch71....the road runner nest is out to win you over this year!Image

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Post by moparmike » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:07 pm

Maybe a customer ordered a Roadrunner and delivery was delayed so he opted for an SSP with the trinklets on it.........Anyway you slice it......It is only worth what someone is willing to pay. There are better deals to be had need I remind people of the REAL 71 GTX I found. I would rather have my 71 GTX then pay stupid money for this car. This sellar is your typical out to lunch person who is trying to make an uneducated buyer his "Prey" The car is worth what any SSP would be worth in the same condition and maybe a token more for the spoilers. Great car to pick up if the price is right. If this thing came with a HEMI from the factory then he would have something. :rant:
Sometimes I get to feeling that if Xmas, Fathers Day and my Birthday did not exist, then aftershave too would not exist.

fourforty6pac
GTX (RS)

Post by fourforty6pac » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:29 pm

It's a cool car, I like it. It has some good points and some bad , like the crappy body work. I'm sure the seller thinks it's worth a bunch. Maybe someone got creative with a blank fender tag and a stamp :D . Where can I find a set of reverse punches? LOL. I think a build sheet would help tell the story. I have a feeling he thinks it's worth more than it really is. The auction will end early.

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Post by moparmike » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:10 pm

Looks like this car has been reposted on ebay for a Buy it now price of $8000.00 :shock:
That is Waaaaaaay to much especially if you look at the white roadrunner being offered for $13,500

The guy selling the Satellite is definately a "RANGE BALL" in a box of "TITLEISTS" :lol: if he thinks its worth that kinda dough... :roll: :haha:

Dave
Site Admin
My Cars: 71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)
71 Satellite Sebring Plus (383/2bbl/auto)

Post by Dave » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:18 pm

Before we all go too far down the "this guy's an idiot" route, let's look past the marketing hype of the auction text, and look at the car itself. From the pics, it seems like a fairly solid, #'s matching big block SSP with a desirable (and uncommon for an SSP) original color. Sure, it's not a highly optioned car or anything - outside of the spoiler package nothing to write home about at all.

Forget the spoilers and the hype and ask yourself - would you buy a solid, #s matching SSP if you saw it at a swap meet for $6500-$7000? If I had the money and the space, I'd be all over another clean SSP for that kind of money these days. Maybe my view is warped by the fact that up here, it's rare to find something that isn't a Flintstone flyer with the springs coming through the trunk floor. For an oddball like this one with the HIP & spoilers, would I go $8000? Possibly, but I'd likely be much more comfortable around the $7500 range for it. So IMHO, it's not THAT far out of line.

Oh and thanks to whoever mentioned the Kay Stephens SSP. :stirpot: That car was available to be 3 separate times, and due to finances and space limitations, I had to turn it down all 3 times. It's absolutely on my list of cars that I eventually want to own someday.
Dave
Founder - The Road Runner Nest

71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)
71 Satellite Sebring Plus (383/2bbl/auto)

moparmike
GTX (RS)

Post by moparmike » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:23 pm

I just mean that it is tooo much for an SSP that need a lot of additional money spent on it maybe I am wrong but I paid less then half of what he is asking for a 71 GTX and I think my GTX is worth waaaaaaay more than this car. I have a 72 SSP that is rust free and I picked it up for far less than he is asking..... Lets be real this is an OK car that needs at least $10,000 worth of work minimum to make it a car with a value of $10=12 grand so it just is not worth the effort in my opinion. But I always was a master of my own opinion.
I apologize for that comment I guess a car is worth whatever someone wants to pay for it.
Attachments
71gtx3.jpg
71gtx3.jpg (49.35 KiB) Viewed 13391 times