Your opinions on what you would do with my GTX

General Mopar Related Conversation

Moderator: Site Administrators

AZ-Nick
GTX (RS)

Your opinions on what you would do with my GTX

Post by AZ-Nick » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:44 pm

I am curious to what the opinions are about what would you do with this car.
The car in question is my 71GTX, there is a link in my signature if you want to see it.
As some of you know, I just bought it 3 months ago and I have been thinking of making some changes to it. It is all-original except the upper radiator hose and clamps, battery and 2 back tires. Of course the 2 front tires are worn but they are the original polyglass issue tires from the factory. The interior needs complete restoration and the body has bad paint even though the pics show the paint looking somewhat better. The body has a dent above the driver side rear wheel-well lip and a push in dent on the passenger side, just behind the door.
The frame rails, floors, quarters are in excellent shape and there is a slight case of rust forming in the trunk just under where the pad was. The dana, is there, even the exhaust tips and hangers are still original.
Tell me your thoughts and your plans of what you would do or what you think I should do.

Thanks to all that reply……

Dave
Site Admin
My Cars: 71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)
71 Satellite Sebring Plus (383/2bbl/auto)

Post by Dave » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:11 pm

First off, I have to say congrats on your write up in the newest Mopar Muscle! That's so cool! :)

It's funny you should ask this, as I was thinking about what I would personally do with your car, if I had found it. Being as original as it is, there is a treasure chest of information that it carries with it. How the factory did things, how stuff goes together correctly, etc. Obviously I would hate to see all that lost.

On the other hand, the car has some wear and tear from sitting so long, as you mentioned the top and the interior are both baked to the point of having to be replaced. As you say, the body isn't perfect, nor is the paint, although it too is original. To participate in the Survivor tent type stuff at the Mopar shows, I don't think this car, with what it will take to be show worthy, will still qualify. :(

All that said, I my recommendation would be to go ahead and do a good restoration on the car. It is obviously a fantastic starting point for a restoration, and a car that is well deserving of a high quality job. In doing the resto, I'd go down an OE certified route, rather than the "over restored" route, using as much of the original equipment as possibe. Of couse, as you go though the disassembly (and obviously before hand too), take TONS of pictures, even of the little stuff you think there's no reason to. Document the condition of the car completely. It will make the restoration of the car that much easier to put back to how it specifically came from the factory, as well as being an awsome resource for others down the road. Maybe we could even do a Project Journal type of thing for your GTX as we are doing for Project Bluebird.

That's my $0.02 worth on that awsome GTX. :) If you'd like to chat about it more sometime, shoot me an email, maybe we could talk by phone about it too. ;)
Dave
Founder - The Road Runner Nest

71 Plymouth Road Runner (Project Blue Bird)

CtownRunner
GTX (RS)

71 GTX/ Mopar Muscle

Post by CtownRunner » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:21 pm

I see Dave beat me to post here on the Mopar Muscle feature. I saw the pics and thought to myself I think I saw that car somewhere. The second look through I remembered it from your unveiling here.

As far as your car is concerned, don't be in a hurry. Finish rubbing it out and waxing it. Steam clean everything and get it running. Fresh rubber if needed. Put the polys in storage and look for another pair for the rear. Seat covers work for awhile. Degrease and clean it up, bring the mechanics up to safe running conditon, enjoy if for a yr or two.

Then deside if a survivor or total resto is what you really want. If the interior is as bad as described it may not make sense to try to save it as a survivor. You might be able to piece together an intact original interior at Carlisle/ the Nats but that would defeat the intent.

The SassyGrass 71 Runner on the cover of Mopar Muscle sparked more brain cells. I saw this car at the Nats and talked to the owner for about 20 mins. He was happy as a clam talkin about his baby after all these yrs. NOW THAT IS A SURVIVOR! Hope he brings it back to Columbus for 05. Anyone here besides me think Dave should bring Project Blue Bird to Columbus in Aug 05?

CtownRunner

Dave
Site Admin

Post by Dave » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:31 am

Well, I'm sure Project Blue Bird will be down in Columbus this August. Though I can assure you it won't be inside the gates at National Trail. The "nationals" are just way too disorganized and overpriced for my tastes. Matter of fact, I don't even bother to go anymore, though I will drive down for the Brice Rd action and this year, I'll probably try that other cruise out to the East of the track too. I've heard some good things about out there.

IMHO, the Mopar Nats is no longer the premier Mopar show in the country. The All Chrysler Nationals at Carlisle, even without onsite racing, is a much better show and swap meet. I mean, all I have to say is "Building T". :D For racing, Jeff Johnson's show at Norwalk is always an amazing event. Plus, NRP is truely a better racing facility than NTR, for both racers and spectators.

Anyway, let me get off my soapbox, and drag this thread back on topic. Heheheh... I think Chris does make a great point. Taking your time and really assessing the current condition of the car has a lot of value. Your car presents a unique (to most) situation, so original, but in that perfect factory condition. I will present one other solution to your problem, just donate the car to the Road Runner Nest. ;) I can assue you it will be welll documented and loved here. ;) Hehehehe...
Dave

AZ-Nick
GTX (RS)

Post by AZ-Nick » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:14 pm

Thanks for the kind words on my car.
This is really a tough decision on what I should do.
I am not getting any younger and I want to enjoy my car as quickly as I can but I would like to have it in better condition than it is in.
I also have a 6 pack motor thai I want to install in it and have some fun.
I need to redo the interior no matter what anyone says, if you havn't seen the interior go down to the bottom of this post and pick on WWW, this will take you to my webpages I dedicated to the car.
I also have a thread started on Moparts about the same question I posted here to see what the die hards and the cloners and the poor people as my self would say.
I also posted pictures of the damages on the car and the bad paint on the back side of the car.
Please read that thread and reply here in this thread if you can, I would like to hear what the people that own and drive these rare cars have to also say.
And once again, thank you to all that read and reply......

Click here for my Moparts Post

Dave
Site Admin

Post by Dave » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:16 pm

I'm really glad you posted those pictures. It really does help in giving an opinion on what direction you should go with it. I'll add them here to this thread for you. :)

Driver Quarter

Deck lid

Passenger Quarter

AZ-Nick
GTX (RS)

Post by AZ-Nick » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:22 pm

Dave, Thanks for updateing this thread with the pics. As you can see by looking at these pictures that the back half of the car need as much attention as the interior does.
Any comments reguarding this?

Dave
Site Admin

Post by Dave » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:31 pm

Ok, now I'll add another $0.02 to the mix. :)

Based on those pictures, with the damage to the quarters, and the condition of the paint on the back half of the car, I really stand firm on my feeling that this is a perfect car for a quality restoration. With as complete as it is, your parts search won't be as hard as others (including Project Blue Bird), your body work bill will be significantly less (no need for panel replacement, it doesn't look like, a good body guy could either fix that, or section in a patch since it's right there in the body line), and as you said, no matter what, you still need to do the interior.

I love the idea of swapping your 440+6 motor into it, and enjoying the car, with the #'s matching block safely tucked away in the garage. Would make a fun car for you to enjoy, and like I talked about before, if you do a good documentation job, you've preserved the knowledge of it's originality.

I'm guessing, based on all your posts, that selling or trading the car aren't options you are even thinking about? If not, I definately can't blame you, it is a pretty cool car. Though if you'dl like to trade even up for a car you could slap a quickie paint job on, and drop your 6bbl driveline into, I do have this nice #'s matching 71 Sebring Plus... ;)
Dave

AZ-Nick
GTX (RS)

Post by AZ-Nick » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:57 pm

Dave thanks for the honesty in your answers it is appreciated.
As far as letting the car go, the answer is no, I wanted to buy a 71 GTX 6 Pack car in 1971 but the dealer and I couldn't agree on a price for my trade, (69Charger), so I left without it, got married within the year and that was the end of my quest to buy a 6 pack car. Fast forward 33years later, I have my 71 GTX but not a 6 pack, but it will be one shortly. I am going to convert it to a 6 pack motor in due time.